Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM

4 posts, read 6,868 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have read through a ton of postings on the site for a little while now, figured I would just post.

I'm 24. Moving to Tampa within a month for a job (the job offer, interview, and acceptance process all happened in the last 2 weeks). I will be living alone. I am looking for a place with rent at max $700 per month. I do not know the area at all. Only been there twice and do not have time to look now.

I need some solid input on areas to look at for:
A. Short term housing, like a furnished/unfurnished place to stay for a couple months while I find an apartment
and/or
B. Tampa areas/actual apartments to look at.

Aside from my price range, I am focused heavily on the safety of the area and living in a nice area. If there are nicer areas that have the walkable/urban vibe, I would love that. But if that just isn't doable then I'll live where it is safe and maintained.

I check spotcrime like an addict but it is sort of like going on Webmd for me because it makes me feel like every square inch of every area is dangerous.

Any input would be more than greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 PM

109 posts, read 325,566 times
Where is your job and how close to want to live to your job? That will make a HUGE difference. Meaning travel time, not distance. ;-)

Tampa is a big city.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Ah I totally forgot to mention that! My job is on Henderson Road, right off of Waters Ave, zip code 33634.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabound26 View Post
Ah I totally forgot to mention that! My job is on Henderson Road, right off of Waters Ave, zip code 33634.
I know that area very well, I used to work at Henderson/Linebaugh and I drive through there every day, almost.
You should be able to find a one bedroom apartment in the Citrus Park area for a reasonable amount. If you are looking for temporary housing I have a client that found a room to rent on Craigslist. The girl she's rooming with is a bit of a nut but it's a nice place. For a temporary solution.
I would stay in zip codes 33634,33635,33625,33624. That's all north of Waters.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Thanks a ton for the zip codes! That'll definitely help. I'm going next weekend to look around. I currently travel 35-40 mins to work (plus tolls) so if I was willing to travel a bit to work would that give me some more options as well?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM

Of course it would but, depending on the time of day you'll be commuting distance is relavant. I used to drive 4.5 miles to my office and it took me about 25 minutes if I left my house at 7:25 am. If I left at 7:10 am it took me 15 minutes. I had to be to work by 8 am. A couple of times it took me 40 minutes because of accidents or bad rain. Going home was always 30 minutes because I left at 5 pm, when everyone else was leaving. That's when shcool is in session. Summer it's not quite as bad. So what on paper or map may appear to be only 30 or 40 minutes you need to keep in mind the traffic. I had co-workers that drove an hour or more to get to work because they chose to live in outlying communities; Brandon, Land O' Lakes, Wesley Chapel.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:46 PM

Hmm, I hadn't even thought about that actually. Some of my new coworkers had told me that Tampa traffic can be intense. I'm too used to highway use in Orlando I guess. I'd work varying hours really, nothing set in stone for the job.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Going south bound on the Veteran's you are lucky to go more than 30 mph during rush hour. I've left Largo (Pinellas County) at 5:15 and it took me 1.5 hours to get home (Carrollwood). It's about 30 miles but the traffic is horrific. That's why I suggessted the zip codes I did for you. Most apartments you can sign a 7 month lease, that way if you decide you'd rather live elsewhere you aren't stuck for an entire year.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Tampabound... I am looking at a few positions in that office complex as well. I live in Carrollwood/Northdale and am hoping I get the position because the commute should be great. My area is very safe and there are a couple of apartments in the area. Not much night life, but there are a few bars if intereste Should be about a 20 - 25 minute commute in the morning with traffic.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...sz=14&t=m&z=14

Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Tampabound... I am looking at a few positions in that office complex as well. I live in Carrollwood/Northdale and am hoping I get the position because the commute should be great. My area is very safe and there are a couple of apartments in the area. Not much night life, but there are a few bars if intereste Should be about a 20 - 25 minute commute in the morning with traffic.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...sz=14&t=m&z=14
Those areas are in the zip codes I mentioned. I live in the Carrollwood/Forest Hills area and it could take me 25 minutes to get there. Once it took me 45 minutes. Just glad I don't normally have to fight rush hour traffic any longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay