Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I was just wondering how many of you will be willing to buy a house with confirmed and repaired sink
- I will consider buying it (upon passing the inspection) 1 2.56%
- I will consider buying it only for lower than asking price 5 12.82%
- I will not be willing to buy a house like that one 33 84.62%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how many of you will be willing to buy a house with confirmed and repaired sinkhole? House is priced to market value compare to houses without any sinkhole activities (we are talking about $300K range for Pasco County house). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I was just wondering how many of you will be willing to buy a house with confirmed and repaired sinkhole? House is priced to market value compare to houses without any sinkhole activities (we are talking about $300K range for Pasco County house):
I will consider buying it (upon passing the inspection)
I will consider buying it only for lower than asking price
I will not be willing to buy a house like that one
About 2 years ago, I had an acquaintance who had a remediated sinkhole house 5 blocks from bayshore, great location, he had it paid off, he wanted to sell it for next to nothing a 600k house for 200k, we tried but our lender wouldnt touch it and couldnt get it insured, it would have had to be a cash deal. I think he still renting it.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
I'd go nowhere near a sinkhole house. Especially after that poor guy in Seffner had his house fall into one in the middle of the night and he sadly passed away. In my house hunting one of the houses I was interested in had a sinkhole problem that my realtor advised before we even went looking. She didn't even bother taking me to see it.

I don't care if it's fixed. Just the stigma of it will be a nightmare to resell plus it will be hard enough to insure, if you're able to at all.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 AM

552 posts, read 720,856 times
Im also gonna have this problem when I put my house on the market this fall. Im in Spring Hill though, and you gotta figure sinkholes are an issue in every neighborhood up here. If someone is dead set in buying a house here wouldnt it be better to buy one thats already fixed as opposed to having to deal with it yourself down the line?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
I won't even consider a home next to a repaired sinkhole and/or a home down the street..Sorry, but there re other people who don't mind if the price is good and some investors will use it for rentals and get a nice return.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
About 2 years ago, I had an acquaintance who had a remediated sinkhole house 5 blocks from bayshore, great location, he had it paid off, he wanted to sell it for next to nothing a 600k house for 200k, we tried but our lender wouldnt touch it and couldnt get it insured, it would have had to be a cash deal. I think he still renting it.
I am wondering if repaired sinkhole houses could be finance and insured?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Im also gonna have this problem when I put my house on the market this fall. Im in Spring Hill though, and you gotta figure sinkholes are an issue in every neighborhood up here. If someone is dead set in buying a house here wouldnt it be better to buy one thats already fixed as opposed to having to deal with it yourself down the line?
I am just wondering if fixed house means sinkhole will never open again... what if repair company didn't follow repair codes (for example builders were violationg building codes 7 years ago, and they are no longer in business and people are facing expensive repairs)... insurance.. were you able to get one?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I won't even consider a home next to a repaired sinkhole and/or a home down the street..Sorry, but there re other people who don't mind if the price is good and some investors will use it for rentals and get a nice return.
That's why I mentioned house price - $300K... doesn't look like rental property to me... The house I am refering to is in community with about $3500-$4000 annual CDD and HOA fees...

Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
No that is not a good deal for an investor.

Many of the sinkhole repair companies gve life time warranties but they are/were worth nothing since many are out of business.

You can get a loan if you are able to get an insurance company to insure it...but that will be hard. We just spoke with a lender about it....almost impossible but there is a slight chance.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM

443 posts, read 559,004 times
Run. Run fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay