Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM

6 posts, read 22,966 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We currently live in Wesley Chapel and are planning on moving our family to Palm Harbor to be closer to the beach and because of the great school system. We were initially interested in Ozona/Crystal Beach but think it might be difficult to find a home with everything we need, and in our budget, as well as worried about having to have flood insurance. We have expanded our search to the rest of Palm Harbor, and while researching it seems that many people prefer East Lake.

Our impression of East Lake was that it is very similar to Wesley Chapel, with newer construction, all very similar. Also, it seems that it would add a bit of time to go to the beach. We liked the neighborhoods on the West side, like Autumn Woods and Cobbs Landing.

My question is why do you prefer East or West Lake area and why? What neighborhoods would you recommend? Any input on Ozona and Crystal Beach is welcome as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:50 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamelg1 View Post
Hi,

We currently live in Wesley Chapel and are planning on moving our family to Palm Harbor to be closer to the beach and because of the great school system. We were initially interested in Ozona/Crystal Beach but think it might be difficult to find a home with everything we need, and in our budget, as well as worried about having to have flood insurance. We have expanded our search to the rest of Palm Harbor, and while researching it seems that many people prefer East Lake.

Our impression of East Lake was that it is very similar to Wesley Chapel, with newer construction, all very similar. Also, it seems that it would add a bit of time to go to the beach. We liked the neighborhoods on the West side, like Autumn Woods and Cobbs Landing.

My question is why do you prefer East or West Lake area and why? What neighborhoods would you recommend? Any input on Ozona and Crystal Beach is welcome as well.

Thanks!
I prefer West Lake because the houses are more unique and not so "cookie cutter."

Both areas are really nice, however, so you should be fine no matter which one you choose.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I prefer West Lake because the houses are more unique and not so "cookie cutter."

Both areas are really nice, however, so you should be fine no matter which one you choose.
Thanks for responding! I feel the same way about the west side houses, I really like how unique they are. Do you have any favorite neighborhoods in the area?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,846 times
I think Ozona is pretty cool. We have friends who live there and their house is on stilts and is just amazing! If you want to be in a more "traditional" type of neighborhood, Westlake Village is a realy nice place and is very family oriented.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I think Ozona is pretty cool. We have friends who live there and their house is on stilts and is just amazing! If you want to be in a more "traditional" type of neighborhood, Westlake Village is a realy nice place and is very family oriented.
Ozona is our top choice so far, but it is such a small place there aren't too many homes for sale that match or requirements - we will check out Westlake Village too - thanks!!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Westlake if the absolute quickest access to beaches is the number one priority.

The East Lake side of Palm Harbor if great schools and better access to more things in the greater Tampa Bay area is a priority.

Both a very good places to be.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Autumn Woods and Cobbs Landing are both beautiful neighborhoods...especially if you like the northern look...just be careful of the school zone...you want to be the Palm Harbor or Eastlake schools...stay away from any area zoned for Tarpon Springs...Ozona is really funky...million dollar homes to shacks and everything in between...we used to live in Seaside Sanctuary,Crystal Beach(34681) which has the Ozona feel to it...you might want to check it out...

Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 AM

296 posts, read 658,248 times
East Lake is a better quality of living. There really is no area called "West Lake" its more just Palm Harbor proper, though for the sake of this thread we can go ahead and deem it West Lake.

East Lake is newer, the homes are more modern and so are the businesses. You have less traffic issues because you eliminate US19 from the picture. Property values are much higher, and the quick and easy access to Oldsmar & Countryside is an added bonus.

"West Lake" is a little more busy and has more options when it comes to local amenities, mainly due to US19 being there. The homes are older but still there are some nice ones. Its a little more diverse than East Lake culturally. Its nice because you have easy access to both the Lake and the Gulf. You will find west of the lake will get a little red in the neck in a lot of areas.

Palm Harbor University High (West) is a better school than East Lake High. However they both are rated highly in Pinellas. You will find that the west side of the lake blends together with Tarpon Springs and Holiday/New Port Richey in Pasco. While East Lake runs together with the Oldsmar and North Countryside areas.

Palm Harbor is nice over all, you are choosing between 2 very nice areas but IMO I'd say East Lake is the better choice.

I have lived on both sides of Lake Tarpon in 34685 and 34683 so I'm basing this off real life experience.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Westlake if the absolute quickest access to beaches is the number one priority.

The East Lake side of Palm Harbor if great schools and better access to more things in the greater Tampa Bay area is a priority.

Both a very good places to be.

Thanks! I was under the impression that West Lake also had great schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Autumn Woods and Cobbs Landing are both beautiful neighborhoods...especially if you like the northern look...just be careful of the school zone...you want to be the Palm Harbor or Eastlake schools...stay away from any area zoned for Tarpon Springs...Ozona is really funky...million dollar homes to shacks and everything in between...we used to live in Seaside Sanctuary,Crystal Beach(34681) which has the Ozona feel to it...you might want to check it out...
We have looked in Seaside Sanctuary - it is gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
East Lake is a better quality of living. There really is no area called "West Lake" its more just Palm Harbor proper, though for the sake of this thread we can go ahead and deem it West Lake.

East Lake is newer, the homes are more modern and so are the businesses. You have less traffic issues because you eliminate US19 from the picture. Property values are much higher, and the quick and easy access to Oldsmar & Countryside is an added bonus.

"West Lake" is a little more busy and has more options when it comes to local amenities, mainly due to US19 being there. The homes are older but still there are some nice ones. Its a little more diverse than East Lake culturally. Its nice because you have easy access to both the Lake and the Gulf. You will find west of the lake will get a little red in the neck in a lot of areas.

Palm Harbor University High (West) is a better school than East Lake High. However they both are rated highly in Pinellas. You will find that the west side of the lake blends together with Tarpon Springs and Holiday/New Port Richey in Pasco. While East Lake runs together with the Oldsmar and North Countryside areas.

Palm Harbor is nice over all, you are choosing between 2 very nice areas but IMO I'd say East Lake is the better choice.

I have lived on both sides of Lake Tarpon in 34685 and 34683 so I'm basing this off real life experience.
Thank you for all the info - I think we are going to stay open to each side while looking for houses - I am just afraid of moving to "Wesley Chapel part 2" - where it's a nice place to live but we are kind of in the middle of nowhere and far from everything ie beach/city/etc...

Last edited by Count David; 07-15-2013 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamelg1 View Post
Thanks! I was under the impression that West Lake also had great schools?
Yes, actually Palm Harbor High is considered better than East Lake High, but the difference is negligible. Unless you're interested in the IB program (not available at East Lake), schools should not be a factor in your choice (except to make sure you are in one of those two districts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay