Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times

Advertisements

Long story short, we are eyeing to make an offer on a home that we really love...but noticed that it is zoned for West Tampa Elementary School. From what I can tell online, that place is rated pretty horribly.

Now, we don't have kids...but that could very well happen within the next couple to 5 years.

Moreover, if we didn't have kids and then sold in 7-10 years for whatever reasons there may be...that would be a key point of resale.

Can someone explain to me the whole deal with how if your children are zoned for a failing school...you can opt to send them to another better school providing you give transportation, etc.

Again, I am not a parent and may be wrong- I have just gone on hearsay but I am curious.

Also, how is Madison Middle and Jefferson High in the scheme of things? All I know is Stephen Garcia went to Jefferson because I am a South Carolina Gamecock fan!

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 PM

51 posts, read 89,935 times
As a parent who is looking in the Tampa Bay area, I can say this: There are areas we've had to overrule because they are zoned to poorly rated schools. You can't pick and choose, unless you pay for private school or win a magnet or fundamental school lottery. I've heard chances for that vary, but average a 1 in 10 shot. Those odds aren't good enough for us, so we basically have to choose within an area zoned for a better school OR, since this is right around the corner for us, we could rent, enter the lottery, and then if we get in, buy a house wherever.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
You can apply for your child to attend another school if they have attended a zoned failing school for one year.

At least, that's how it is in Pinellas at the moment. I don't know for sure if it's the same in Hillsborough.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 PM

184 posts, read 328,726 times
I spoke to Pasco CO Board of Ed about 2 months ago when we were looking at moving here. Basically what I was told is you can apply but most of the desired schools are over crowded already and are not accepting students from other districts. I imagine that will vary within the next 5 years. We ended up finding a house in the school zone we wanted so there was no chance of having our daughter in a less than good school.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Five years from now possibly that school may be shut down or revamped... its way too out there to know, neighborhoods change all the time... if families move in the school does better if the retirees move in they have no interest in it and they lose money n kids,,, so???

Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Well, there is no way to get your child to well rated school if you zoned to a bad one because schools are already full and have no room for additional kids. I recently was searching for application process and saw the list of schools that are FULL and do not take any applications from people not zoned to them and guess what? All A-rated schools were FULL.
Schools are driving house pricing.
Basically families not interested in public schools or without kids will be your selling target.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Long story short, we are eyeing to make an offer on a home that we really love...but noticed that it is zoned for West Tampa Elementary School. From what I can tell online, that place is rated pretty horribly.

Now, we don't have kids...but that could very well happen within the next couple to 5 years.

Moreover, if we didn't have kids and then sold in 7-10 years for whatever reasons there may be...that would be a key point of resale.

Can someone explain to me the whole deal with how if your children are zoned for a failing school...you can opt to send them to another better school providing you give transportation, etc.

Again, I am not a parent and may be wrong- I have just gone on hearsay but I am curious.

Also, how is Madison Middle and Jefferson High in the scheme of things? All I know is Stephen Garcia went to Jefferson because I am a South Carolina Gamecock fan!

Thanks for the input!
In Hillsborough county the choice program is pretty rough, the schools are mostly already filled like other posters mentioned. However the magnet programs are fairly easy to get into, Mcfarlane elementary is a excellent magnet school thats close to that area. It would take a buyer who is aware of this kind of programs to have interest, that being said, I personally love that area of West Tampa. West of Habana and north of Colombus anyway, there are a lot of people who live in that area especially north of MLK east of Himes that move there because their kids got to St Lawrence, Jesuit is right there as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
If your question is can I buy a home in bad school zone and when it is time to sell buyers will overlook that fact?

The answer is no, the majority will not.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
However the magnet programs are fairly easy to get into.
Not necessary.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:17 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Your school has to received a failing grade for a total of three consecutive years before you can pull the "nuclear option" and get them moved to another school, if I recall correctly. I don't think there are any schools currently in that situation in Hillsborough County, although that may have changed as of Friday when they announced the grades for this year...

You have several options:

1.) Enroll your child(ren) in a private $chool

2.) Enroll your child(ren) in a charter school

3.) Apply for the "Choice" program*

4.) Apply for a "Magnet" program*

*Both Choice and Magnet programs have a lottery system. Choice is only available at schools that are not close to capacity, so that pretty much rules out most of the really good ones. Magnet is a better option, but it's still a crapshoot. Do understand that if there are siblings they are considered "legacies" so they are typically allowed in the same school/program as the older child.

Long story short, I would seriously reconsider buying a home in an area with a marginal school. It might get better, but more often than not the school's academic success hinges largely on the socioeconomic condition of the area that feeds it. That's not to say the faculty and staff aren't accomplished in their discipline - it's well known that parental involvement, which is typically much higher in higher income areas plays a significant part in the academic success of the students.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: