Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times

Advertisements

So far it looks like Martin, Intown and Skyhouse have been approved and will be developed. According to reports, all three residential towers are going to be for lease only and not purchase.

I don't understand why this is. Surely there is a demand for purchases, is there not? I know I would be interested in buying if it were available. Skypoint isn't an option. From what I've researched, the association there is a gestapo and the building's quality has become questionable... likely due to no competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Probably because they're betting on increased demand from 20/30somethings who want to live downtown but don't have the disposable income (yet) for the purchase of a luxury apartment.

Now if Buckhorn lives up to his potential of revitalizing downtown, it'll help spur the growth that they're betting on.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Probably because they're betting on increased demand from 20/30somethings who want to live downtown but don't have the disposable income (yet) for the purchase of a luxury apartment.

Now if Buckhorn lives up to his potential of revitalizing downtown, it'll help spur the growth that they're betting on.
I'd like to know how many 20-somethings they think can afford $1500/month starting for a studio sized apartment.

I would hope the 30-somethings with that kind of income are smart enough to realize they could afford a house with much bigger space for much less.

I guess I just don't see the point of being "house poor".

Old 08-09-2013, 02:59 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Many people are wondering this since there are plenty of buyers out there willing to buy.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I'd like to know how many 20-somethings they think can afford $1500/month starting for a studio sized apartment.

I would hope the 30-somethings with that kind of income are smart enough to realize they could afford a house with much bigger space for much less.

Because many young folks don't look long term yet, and don't have down payments stashed away for buying.

Well, that and many times they're still concerned with being around other young folks without kids.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,435 times
Every apartment wanted to go condo seven to eight years ago because real estate prices were going up so high they realized that they would make more money selling small units for exorbitant prices than renting them out and having the expenses that go along with managing a property. Now that real estate prices (especially condos) have gone down 50% or more from their peak, renting is more profitable for the landowners.

Keep in mind that certain developments in Channelside like Slade and Seaport were originally designed to be condos but changed into rentals when the market went south. They did that because the developers couldn't get what they wanted for the units so they figured they would make more as rentals. As prices go back up and if the Channel District really does boom like people say it will, I'm sure all of these places will eventually covert to condo.

It's also extremely difficult now for many condo developments to get FHA approval, which prevents a lot of buyers from being able to finance.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post

You have seen me post several times that the apts off Lois and Westshore/ So-Ho are all over $1000+ it is what you pay now- I am paying $817 in an older but nice apt complex because that is the going rate... and young people -new jobs etc are not ready to buy... BUILT IT mayor!! I am estatic and people still complaining of a place they never frequent.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
As prices go back up and if the Channel District really does boom like people say it will, I'm sure all of these places will eventually covert to condo.
That's too bad. When you convert rentals back to ownership condos, it will just cause another condo bust. Reason being, if a development is constructed initially for rentals, the quality of the building will be rental and not purchase quality. Thin walls... poor material...

Nobody is going to want to buy a rental converted to condo. Isn't that one of the things that caused the condo crash in the first place?

I fear developers aren't looking ahead, and are only looking for the "now". In 10 years, there will be another bust due to a glut of lower quality rentals all over the place.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Because many young folks don't look long term yet, and don't have down payments stashed away for buying.
I don't think people realize that younger folks are more financially savvy now. The developer's target demographic has lived through the recent recession at a prime age. Many have seen their families deal with financial hardship and won't be willing to throw away money just because the housing is there. The saving mindset is at a peak. I don't think developers understand that yet.

Last edited by jsun556; 08-10-2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Many people are wondering this since there are plenty of buyers out there willing to buy.
I'm one of them. I even called Novare Group a couple days ago to verify if Skyhouse would be for sale or lease. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed after that call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay