Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
It's good that you bought in Pinellas. It'll be hard to loose value there.
Palm Harbor has the benefit of good schools which is even more pronounced when you consider the lack of them in Pinellas, so for someone wanting to move to Pinellas and really cares about schools or rather school ratings as most people do, Palm Harbor is pretty much your only choice. For a county as small as Pinellas is, it has a lot of trailer parks and 60k dilapidated houses. I know it sounds judgmental but my point is Pinellas is a lot more than waterfront houses, Palm Harbor, NE and SH. It actually mostly isn't that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Real estate prices always go through peaks and troughs. Every so often the peak is an Everest and the trough is a Grand Canyon.
The secret, as always, is to remember property is only four walls and a roof and if something seems overpriced and poor value for money then it probably is.
Never be afraid to sell at the top and get out while every other mug is piling in for the killing that can disappear in a matter of weeks.
I sold right at the top and moved into rented accomodation and put virtually everything I owned into storage.
Four years later I came back in at 60% off the high. Hello pension !
Personally I reckon this latest upswing is more of a dead cat bounce and prices, while continuing upwards, will slow fairly soon.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
We bought "right" too in July09...our house has appreciated about $200,000...and we have a small mortgage at a low rate...only problem that our property taxes are going up too...
Glad to see many people on this forum chose well too.

You are right about the taxes though. They will go up. I suppose if this was the last house we planned on living in, I would not want the prices to go up......so that my taxes would not go up. BUT, as there will be one more move someday further south where it is warmer and downsizing quite a bit.....I will take all the appreciation I can get.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Palm Harbor has the benefit of good schools which is even more pronounced when you consider the lack of them in Pinellas, so for someone wanting to move to Pinellas and really cares about schools or rather school ratings as most people do, Palm Harbor is pretty much your only choice. For a county as small as Pinellas is, it has a lot of trailer parks and 60k dilapidated houses. I know it sounds judgmental but my point is Pinellas is a lot more than waterfront houses, Palm Harbor, NE and SH. It actually mostly isn't that.
I have to agree with you about that. There are certainly fantastic places to live in Pinellas, but there are also lots of places where it looks run down with trashy trailer parks. I have no issue with trailer parks that are kept up nice and there are some, but just two blocks behind some great waterfront properties, it is like you walked into another world in some areas.

We chose our area to stay clear of all that and to get the good schools you mentioned, for resale.

But for those who think Pinellas did not suffer some good depreciation during the crash, think again. We live in one of the premier neighborhoods in Pinellas county and probably the number one neighborhood in all of north Pinellas and it did in fact suffer depreciation during the crash. That is why we feel so lucky to be here now, as prices are rising again. Prices in our neighborhood were insane when the market was good. We would never have felt comfortable spending that kind of money on a house. BUT the crash brought the prices to our comfort level, so we got in while we could. We feel very fortunate.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Same here. I couldn't be thankful enough that we got in the "right" time, late summer of 2009. I spent quite a bit on the housing market in areas that was in our radar (Countryside, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, part of Tarpon Spring, Oldsmar, and Westchase), the best deal in most of those places were those who bough in 2010, give or take.

Most people forget that unless you sale a house and hold the money, there isn't really much of a difference. Few do that. Those who made a killing selling at the height of the market went right back to buy an overpriced even bigger home, asking for more trouble. Therefore, unless one sells and hold the money for a number of years until the crash is done, which is difficult to do or significantly downsize, everything is paper money , making no difference. In the mean time you keep paying high property tax.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Same here. I couldn't be thankful enough that we got in the "right" time, late summer of 2009. I spent quite a bit on the housing market in areas that was in our radar (Countryside, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, part of Tarpon Spring, Oldsmar, and Westchase), the best deal in most of those places were those who bough in 2010, give or take.

Most people forget that unless you sale a house and hold the money, there isn't really much of a difference. Few do that. Those who made a killing selling at the height of the market went right back to buy an overpriced even bigger home, asking for more trouble. Therefore, unless one sells and hold the money for a number of years until the crash is done, which is difficult to do or significantly downsize, everything is paper money , making no difference. In the mean time you keep paying high property tax.
Unless you move out of one market into a different market. Not sure how the various markets in Florida differ, particularly further south on the gulf coast.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
how have you made a profit if you havent sold?

same idiots were spouting "ooo profit profit!!!" in 2008 as well, until the bottom fell out. Luckily for me, the stock market is for investing and a home is for living, no need to go on CD and be a douche LOL

Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
how have you made a profit if you havent sold?

same idiots were spouting "ooo profit profit!!!" in 2008 as well, until the bottom fell out. Luckily for me, the stock market is for investing and a home is for living, no need to go on CD and be a douche LOL
have to agree w/ you there

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
have to agree w/ you there

and unlike in the markets you cant put a "stop loss" on real estate

Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
and unlike in the markets you cant put a "stop loss" on real estate
Let's hope we dont see the same amount of 2nd mortgages, or cash out refi's we saw during the crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay