Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 AM

6 posts, read 13,101 times

Advertisements

This may sound picky but bear with me. Just moved to the Tampa area about 3 months ago and am loving it so far but there's just one thing I'm not able to get used to. Not sure if this is exclusive to the east Tampa burbs area (Brandon/Lithia/Riverview) I live in or not but what is up with traffic lights that take an eternity to change? If I *just miss* a light it's almost to the point where I feel light I should just turn off my ignition and get out of the car and take a short walk and come back. And it doesn't seem to matter if there's any cross traffic or not - you miss that light and you're screwed.

There's just no way this is the most efficient way to keep traffic flowing. Any other transplants aggravated by this? Or lifetime locals for that matter? I keep telling myself all it takes is for someone who oversees the light timing to get caught once by one of these lights to see the obvious problem and make a change but maybe that's just the way it is here. I just can't see myself getting used to wasting my life away waiting for red lights to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,608,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon View Post
This may sound picky but bear with me. Just moved to the Tampa area about 3 months ago and am loving it so far but there's just one thing I'm not able to get used to. Not sure if this is exclusive to the east Tampa burbs area (Brandon/Lithia/Riverview) I live in or not but what is up with traffic lights that take an eternity to change? If I *just miss* a light it's almost to the point where I feel light I should just turn off my ignition and get out of the car and take a short walk and come back. And it doesn't seem to matter if there's any cross traffic or not - you miss that light and you're screwed.
It isn't just right around Tampa. Pinellas is like that too. I've timed several of the intersections and some of them are over 4 minutes. My kids play games like seeing how many songs they can sing before the light turns green.

You'll get used to it after a while; probably.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,310,268 times
I am used to it now... When I moved to Brandon from Savannah, GA, I was like "WTF IS GOING ON HERE" I was ready to rip my hair out by the time they turned green. Tampa itself isn't as bad IMO.

Want to see a rediculously fast traffic light? Corner of Swann and Armenia in S. Tampa. It lets maybe 2 cars through when making a left onto Swann.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
It isn't just right around Tampa. Pinellas is like that too. I've timed several of the intersections and some of them are over 4 minutes. My kids play games like seeing how many songs they can sing before the light turns green.

You'll get used to it after a while; probably.
Yikes! Over 4 mins? That's just awful. You make me feel petty for complaining about my mere 3 minute wait so thanks !

Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I am used to it now... When I moved to Brandon from Savannah, GA, I was like "WTF IS GOING ON HERE" I was ready to rip my hair out by the time they turned green. Tampa itself isn't as bad IMO.

Want to see a rediculously fast traffic light? Corner of Swann and Armenia in S. Tampa. It lets maybe 2 cars through when making a left onto Swann.
Heh. I think a happy medium would be nice and I agree that downtown Tampa doesn't seem as bad. I'll take your word for it and hope I get used to it but I sure would feel better if there was an actual person/department to b*tch to in order to see if something can be done or is in the works to time the lights better. It just doesn't seem right at all.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon View Post
Heh. I think a happy medium would be nice and I agree that downtown Tampa doesn't seem as bad. I'll take your word for it and hope I get used to it but I sure would feel better if there was an actual person/department to b*tch to in order to see if something can be done or is in the works to time the lights better. It just doesn't seem right at all.
The problem with Brandon and the likes is that it is SEVERLY overcrowded for the roadways.

You can sit at one 4 minute traffic light, or you can sit in traffic backed up and have to wait through two or tree iterations of light cycles before making it through the intersection.

I HATE the eastern tampa burbs for this reason.... It is an overcrowded gridlocked nightmare of boring mediocrity.

But I know the pain of long light frustration out your way. I feel for ya!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
The entire region needs to hire a traffic management company that will be able to synchronize the lights around here. Maybe I should clarify, synchronize them so they are green when you come up to them instead of red. Seems like every light is red when you get to it.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
The entire region needs to hire a traffic management company that will be able to synchronize the lights around here. Maybe I should clarify, synchronize them so they are green when you come up to them instead of red. Seems like every light is red when you get to it.
How about this... Whos idea was it however long ago to build Henderson Rd in Tampa? Seems like whoever that city planner was should have been fired instantly. I am sure it was like 100 years ago.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:49 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,806 times
YES!!! Absolutely frustrating. I think this is partially the reason why people run red lights. They don't want to get stuck for another 4 to 5 minutes. I have waited 5 minutes for the light to change.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
The problem with Brandon and the likes is that it is SEVERLY overcrowded for the roadways.

You can sit at one 4 minute traffic light, or you can sit in traffic backed up and have to wait through two or tree iterations of light cycles before making it through the intersection.

I HATE the eastern tampa burbs for this reason.... It is an overcrowded gridlocked nightmare of boring mediocrity.

But I know the pain of long light frustration out your way. I feel for ya!
I think Brandon was considering that very sentence for its motto, actually.

I purposely drive to/from work through Riverview and Brandon during low traffic times to cut down on my commute and it's not like the light times are any better then. During non rush hours I would think the lights should either work off pressure sensors or a different (shorter) timing cycle. It wouldn't require having to wait through multiple light cycles to make a light and wouldn't require waiting 4-5 mins for a light to change. Makes too much sense, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay