Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:15 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Nah, you just learned to slow down from the rat race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
When I moved to Florida,I learned patience!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:39 AM

39 posts, read 53,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Oh my god. I was in the Tampa Bay Area and I was at the store. It took more than 10 minutes for the person in front of me to get cashed out, and they only had 20 items or so. It seems that everyone, and everything in Florida is so slow. I was at Hollister in the mall, and the employees there took their sweet time. 15 minutes to check out and fold 10 items? Do you see where I'm going with this? Everyone down here talks slow, walks slow, and drives slow. It drives me insane! Why is it so much different than the North East?
Where's the incentive to move faster? Don't get paid by the amount of customers they ring out. Don't open more cash registers. Does the owner care about the customers by only having one register open? Hmmmm probably not. I had people over 10 deep in my line. Someone asks a bunch of questions you guys are all waiting. I've had people shout and scream at me like it's some how my fault when someone asks a bunch of questions. This is where I grab my mace and if they take a swing, this is where I defend myself and call the police and it's all on camera. I've had everything under the sun said to me which is probably why I would like to build an igloo in the north pole. If a person goes super slow I've offered to ring myself out and they can watch and have a little break. I have had people fighting in my line, over who was first. I have seen people throw their stuff at others and walk out. I have seen customers fight over merchandise. I had one guy approach the register to a lady who was in line, he thought she said something about his kids and he folded his fist and just about punched her out. Even though I try not to go to slow. If I'm in line waiting I always look at it like I can go somewhere else if I don't like it. There's been times I put my stuff back and do go somewhere else. My question to you would be why not put your stuff back and go somewhere else if you have a problem with their service? I've also seen people throw their stuff on the floor and walk out while in my line as well. There's a million more examples but that's enough examples for now.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Maybe the problem isn't that the people working here are slow, maybe it's because some customers from up north are rude and impatient.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Oh my god. I was in the Tampa Bay Area and I was at the store. It took more than 10 minutes for the person in front of me to get cashed out, and they only had 20 items or so. It seems that everyone, and everything in Florida is so slow. I was at Hollister in the mall, and the employees there took their sweet time. 15 minutes to check out and fold 10 items? Do you see where I'm going with this? Everyone down here talks slow, walks slow, and drives slow. It drives me insane! Why is it so much different than the North East?
If all this perceived slowness is driving you insane its only a matter of time before you do something stupid in a moment of frustration, you might want to do something to cure yourself of this obsession that every one is going slow. how is this need for speed impacting your driving and your sex life?>

Old 09-16-2013, 04:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Maybe the problem isn't that the people working here are slow, maybe it's because some customers from up north are rude and impatient.
I agree - New Yorkers are pretty rude down here. They think everything should be like their home state. If that's the case, go back. Sure our economy will suffer, but we'll survive. I always felt that the state is much better during the summer months because the snowbirders from NY and other northern states have left leaving the lines shorter, the roadways clear, the beaches less crowded. I always like April because you can see them headed up I75 with their out of state license plates.

Common joke around here is the definition of bliss: a Canadian headed up I75, with two New Yorkers under each arm.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:54 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
What drives me absolutely crazy is the line at the Publix deli to get some cheese and lunch meat... It takes ages to be waited on. They take forever. This kind of horrible service at the Publix delis has been at every single Publix I've ever been to in FL. It takes forever for them to call your number.

1. U grab ur ticket
2. u wait an ungodly amount of time before they get through like 2 numbers.
3. 25 minutes later they call your number
4. Can never understand whatever they mumble out of their mouth, because they're from Haiti or something so...
5. U talk over them and spit out ur order as fast as u can
6. they take 4 minutes to find what meat to slice and unwrap it from that plastic wrap.
7. They then proceed to slice a piece....they then walk over to me and have me look at the slice.
8. immediately blurt out "yeah thats fine" ...short and terse.... because ur about to lose it
9. So help u god if u need cheese. It takes approximiately 3 minutes for them to wrap the meat back up
10. u order ur cheese
11. u die.

because it's taken so long to order that ur life is now passed u by because u had to wait SO long at the Publix deli.
Thats what kids are for! My son is the official deli orderer. Soon as we enter a supermarket he goes straight there and gets it for us while we shop.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I do retail and I am very fast- but at the same token they want me to circle your receipt, explain about the credit card, up coming sale, and warranty things bla bla bla. oer we get written up/drives me NUTS, I want you in and out of my line soon as possible. Yet at the same token don't get in line and OHH ahh I forgot ,, blaha item and leave us all standing. I am seeying is people think they are entitled to something besides just customer care. and honey they don't pay me enough for that. They also only have 1 person working for the normal 4 people who should be. so do not expect too much anymore,, the little folks are getting rammed.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
What drives me absolutely crazy is the line at the Publix deli to get some cheese and lunch meat...

because it's taken so long to order that ur life is now passed u by because u had to wait SO long at the Publix deli.

How about asking the person how his day is going. Show some appreciation that he/she's back there serving customers. Can you imagine serving people who are terse, impatient, and rude all day?

Last edited by BucFan; 09-16-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I won't agree about the New Yorkers,,, mid-westerners- they dont like the city vive- cashiers talking diff languages, latino and black mgrs, variations of tattoos and piercings etc. They complain like we owe them something...guy yelled at me yesturday because I was only cashier,,,I wanted to yell back and say why don't you call your buddy the CEO of the co, (I won't mention his name) and ask why they won't hire more people or give them more hours... but I just ignored him -yerk! I have heard them tell people they can't speak spanish, I have seen horrible treatment of people in retail. and I cant wait till I am free of it hopefully by end of year. And stop showing up at the store 3 min before closing...I am tired, my feet hurt and MY time is up..

Old 09-16-2013, 05:34 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
For those of you that work in retail, what is the percentage of people that are just really bad customers?

I echo the Publix Deli Line (but not the check out line) here in Land O Lakes - I just grab my Cuban Sandwich from the display now even though I like they Deli one better. I have lived down south for over 15 years, and it was a shock the first time as I came from San Diego, CA.

The rest of it all I got used to and now enjoy. People in general are slower down here but as mentioned above, recommend learning to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay