Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Lets clear it up, the company knows exactly where their lines are, the rep you talked to didnt know how to access that information. Also, there are companies (every hear of 811) that are out to mark all utilities. Gas, power, communications and water. The issue comes when one company DOESN'T call 811 or if the contractor marks improperly (which doesnt happen often). My money goes on the fact that its the power company (or their contractor is the more likely case)who is at fault.
To make it very clear we didn't contact some random "rep" to get some random info. We contacted people who supposed to be responsible to provide this info to us because their facilities are within state/county/city right of way. The whole procedure was followed, 6 weeks were given utilities to review our plans and we've got "we are not sure about the exact location..."
Sure enough there are companies who can locate utilities. The question is who is going to pay for that? The right of way owner who allowed utilities to be there??? Because utility companies are not willing to pay for that (already tried that).
During our first messy project I though it's a local thing, but we had the same thing again - on all projects within different counties- "we don't know the exact location".
I am not sure who do you refer to be "a company"? We placed our ticket with sunshine811, got the list of utility companies within our project limits, names of contact people and followed standard procedure and got above mentioned responses.
The real problem with utilities in my opinion is that they show their proposed locations on the plans and their contractors put line +-5 ft off, so no wonder nobody knows the exact location.
Hate dealing with utility people, and thanks god I don't have to do it often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
To make it very clear we didn't contact some random "rep" to get some random info. We contacted people who supposed to be responsible to provide this info to us because their facilities are within state/county/city right of way. The whole procedure was followed, 6 weeks were given utilities to review our plans and we've got "we are not sure about the exact location..."
Sure enough there are companies who can locate utilities. The question is who is going to pay for that? The right of way owner who allowed utilities to be there??? Because utility companies are not willing to pay for that (already tried that).
During our first messy project I though it's a local thing, but we had the same thing again - on all projects within different counties- "we don't know the exact location".
I am not sure who do you refer to be "a company"? We placed our ticket with sunshine811, got the list of utility companies within our project limits, names of contact people and followed standard procedure and got above mentioned responses.
The real problem with utilities in my opinion is that they show their proposed locations on the plans and their contractors put line +-5 ft off, so no wonder nobody knows the exact location.
Hate dealing with utility people, and thanks god I don't have to do it often.
6 weeks? were they all on vacation? that is ridiculous.

So let me see if I got this straight: they would rather break stuff and endanger innocent citizens, than hire someone to find the lines? wow...I guess that Gov+Utilities are more ignorant and skewed than I originally thought.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
6 weeks? were they all on vacation? that is ridiculous.

So let me see if I got this straight: they would rather break stuff and endanger innocent citizens, than hire someone to find the lines? wow...I guess that Gov+Utilities are more ignorant and skewed than I originally thought.
No, 6 weeks it's a standard time frame for us assuming utility companies receive many sets of plans to review.

There are many people involved in the process. It starts with design and ends with construction crew. There is a surveyor who is responsible to utilities locations, but all they do is the whole after their machine indicated the line under the ground. They do wholes only every so feet, and is the line is not going straight from point A to point B there is the chance to damage it during the construction. Most of the time accidents are avoided, but once in a while they happen. And it's not always utilities fault. Sometimes it's due to contractor doing a bad job.
Overall utilities are the mess and I never met anyone who enjoyed dealing or working with them.
P.S. Public utilities are the worse to get back with their mark ups and when they do, you see something any toddler can draw using red-green-brown-blue colors.... and they always put "*not accurate"....

Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Oh crap! Glad I've been out of town. I'll ask DH tonight if he noticed anything. Poor Kohls! Lucky St. Joseph's Hospital is close by. Do you think this has anything to do with the widening of the Veteran's Expressway?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
no, it was a ways off the veterans,

Engirl, im not sure what all of the details are but your story seems like a nightmare.

I work for the cable company, I can tell you just off of the print ROUGHLY where they are, in person I can tell you within a few inches where they are.

You should be able to call 811, give them the address and area that your going to be doing work, give them their few days and then everything will be marked. (water, power, gas, tel-co, cable).

Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post

Engirl, im not sure what all of the details are but your story seems like a nightmare.

I work for the cable company, I can tell you just off of the print ROUGHLY where they are, in person I can tell you within a few inches where they are.

You should be able to call 811, give them the address and area that your going to be doing work, give them their few days and then everything will be marked. (water, power, gas, tel-co, cable).
Unfortunately nothing ever went smooth with utility companies we were dealing with. And I am talking about projects all over the place. My guess - because all our projects required utility relocations, so nobody was willing to do anything on time. But getting mark ups back is the something...
I can name few companies who really did their job well, but most - "we don't know the exact location, do SUE every 5 ft"...

Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Oh crap! Glad I've been out of town. I'll ask DH tonight if he noticed anything. Poor Kohls! Lucky St. Joseph's Hospital is close by. Do you think this has anything to do with the widening of the Veteran's Expressway?
Kohl's was not affected by this. The electric company was installing metal light poles and while they were digging for one that was close to the entrance to grace church/reflections they hit a gas line and cause the leak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay