Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,345 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I am moving to Tampa for grad school at USF. I know this has probably been asked alot, but i have been lurking on the forums and I want to know what are the best areas to live in where i can get an apartment for 700 and up and that's near plenty of things to do. I also want to know which neighborhoods i should stay out of because i like to explore the neighborhoods and find cool places to go to. I want to know the neighborhoods to avoid completely with high crime. I want honest truthful answers, and not some crap like avoid the whole city or have map showing the whole city in red. What are the problem neighborhoods not to venture into that are extremely ghetto. ( don't mind multicultural working class neighborhoods) Thank you for your help whoever responds.

p.s. Where could i get some good latin food and cuban food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I'd focus on New Tampa, Bruce B. Downs, or Carrollwood, maybe even Brandon - which would be a 20-25 min drive to USF. There are plenty of apartments along Fletcher and North of the university, but I'd probably get out of the immediate area. Stay away from areas around the VA Hospital, and westward of there along Fowler (called Suitcase City).

Good luck w/ your Grad school.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,929 times
What are you interested in as far as plenty to do? Different areas could be a lot better or worse depending on your interests. And what time of day will you tend to be on campus?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:51 PM

I would probably be on the campus in the afternoons and sometimes. I like to try different restrauts, go to some nice bars, movie theaters, explore a few neighborhoods, golf, and I like to be closer to the highway so I can jet over to st. Pete/ clearwater to hit the beach.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times
Default USF-adjacent Temple Terrace

Old 11-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! @Bucsfan, Where does suitcase city begin and end? Also, Does anyone know where Some good live music venues are to listen to some local bands? I'm looking for like venues with Rock/folk/jazz/blues type of places. I also forgot to mention I might even have to be at the school at night as well sometime.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:55 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
You have received some of the nicer places to live, including some numbers from HC about the educational levels in some areas, which is very nice info to have.
As far as hispanic or cuban places to eat there's plenty of them, and I do mean plenty!
One of my fav's is West Tampa Sandwich and Arco Iris.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...know-safe.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...afe-place.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...-alt-hard.html

Old 11-18-2013, 08:17 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! @Bucsfan, Where does suitcase city begin and end? Also, Does anyone know where Some good live music venues are to listen to some local bands? I'm looking for like venues with Rock/folk/jazz/blues type of places. I also forgot to mention I might even have to be at the school at night as well sometime.
Sounds like you'd really enjoy Skippers Smokehouse Welcome to Skipper's Smokehouse!
It's a drive but Jannus in downtown St Pete is good for music too The New Jannus Live - Downtown

Might want to look at some of the apartments on the I-75 end of Fletcher Ave; it's not far from campus, easy access to interestate.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay