Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:28 PM

17 posts, read 24,571 times

Advertisements

Regarding my previous question:
where do educated and sophisticated people live in Tampa?
I would define "sophisticated" to mean having broad knowledge of a wide range of topics both current and historical, experience of life, well-read, articulate, open to new ideas and experiences, and not bigoted. It has nothing to do with attire in my opinion.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mally241 View Post
I would define "sophisticated" to mean having broad knowledge of a wide range of topics both current and historical, experience of life, well-read, articulate, open to new ideas and experiences, and not bigoted. It has nothing to do with attire in my opinion.
You're not going to get a straight answer on this here.

It's not like these people have their own subdivisions. Tampa is VERY spread out and these folks are a minority here. It's a needle in a hay stack situation.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
PhotoIPPro has it right. There is no specific place(s). You will find well education/sophisticated people all over the area.

Quote:

Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
LOL - So 1 person in a million (approximate of a needle and a haystack) is educated and sophisticated??? LOL. Way too funny to even think about it.

OP: Maybe just ask previous poster where she lives and you may have the only one in Tampa!!

Tampa has MANY, MANY educated people. This info is straight from City Data:

For population 25 years and over in Tampa:
•High school or higher: 86.1%
•Bachelor's degree or higher: 32.6%
•Graduate or professional degree: 12.6%

1 in 3 have College Degrees!

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-...#ixzz2lhZPbQv6

Seriously: If you want to know where Doctors, Lawyers, Businessman or people/families that make over $300,000 a year are, just ask that.

There are a lot of subdivisions in and around the Tampa Bay area that have people that fit this amount of money. I will skip your sophistication comment. A few that come to mind is obviously Westchase, the Grand Hampton, Arbor Green, Hunters Green area of New Tampa, the Sanctuary off Livingston Road in Lutz, some gated subdivisions off of HWY 54 and Oakstead in Land O Lakes, Lake Talia, Lake Thomas, Cheval, areas in South Tampa, etc...

Old 11-25-2013, 04:12 PM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
I'll ask this again since you started another thread - why do you want to know this?

Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
LOL - So 1 person in a million (approximate of a needle and a haystack) is educated and sophisticated??? LOL. Way too funny to even think about it.

OP: Maybe just ask previous poster where she lives and you may have the only one in Tampa!!

Tampa has MANY, MANY educated people. This info is straight from City Data:

For population 25 years and over in Tampa:
•High school or higher: 86.1%
•Bachelor's degree or higher: 32.6%
•Graduate or professional degree: 12.6%

1 in 3 have College Degrees!

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-...#ixzz2lhZPbQv6

Seriously: If you want to know where Doctors, Lawyers, Businessman or people/families that make over $300,000 a year are, just ask that.

There are a lot of subdivisions in and around the Tampa Bay area that have people that fit this amount of money. I will skip your sophistication comment. A few that come to mind is obviously Westchase, the Grand Hampton, Arbor Green, Hunters Green area of New Tampa, the Sanctuary off Livingston Road in Lutz, some gated subdivisions off of HWY 54 and Oakstead in Land O Lakes, Lake Talia, Lake Thomas, Cheval, areas in South Tampa, etc...
I've posted elsewhere the PhD and Master's educational attainment of Tampa Bay showing the differences in neighborhoods here but will add to the spreadsheet and post more from around the state and country to give a better idea of where Tampa stands. Looking at it quickly, there's slightly more PhD's, slightly less Master's and about the same percentage of Bachelor's here as NYC, so not too shabby. Will post more on that later.

I tend to think that open mindedness, if not at least tolerance, with its inherent capacity to mix and mingle without prejudice, indicates a certain sophistication not always found behind gates. I try to not confuse sophistication with fear.

One of the things I like about this area is that there is less stratification of economies here than where I was in south Florida and a Pew study seems to bear that out:

The Rise of Residential Segregation by Income - Page 5 | Pew Social & Demographic Trends - Page 5

The data does, however, seem to show an increasing number of higher income residents moving into enclaves, away from the general public, a trend of increase of 8% over the last 30 years. I presume that can be attributed at least in part if not greatly to newer residents moving into newly constructed suburban areas.

And here's the educational attainments of PhD's of the differing areas that I happen to have handy for ready reference. It shows also a few other areas of Florida and the Country. I'll add more to that and post it later to show more comparisons to Tampa particularly.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
There is a strong correlation between income and education, in turn people who make more money can usually afford more expensive houses. It should be fairly easy to figure out which zips fit the bill. Of course there are outliers, waterfront properties, I imagine places around institutions of higher learning, but you are asking for generalities. If by open to new ideas you mean progressive, I would recommend S Tampa and NE st Pete.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
HOUSINGCRASHSURVISOR -----

I've posted elsewhere the PhD and Master's educational attainment of Tampa Bay showing the differences in neighborhoods here but will add to the spreadsheet and post more from around the state and country to give a better idea of where Tampa stands. Looking at it quickly, there's slightly more PhD's, slightly less Master's and about the same percentage of Bachelor's here as NYC, so not too shabby. Will post more on that later.

Great information. I tagged that site as a reference tool down the road. Thank you for sharing!!!

Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
"Higher Education/beyond high school" has nothing to do with being "sophisticated". You forget that there are a lot of millionaires (Richard Branson) who don't have a college degree and who are self taught, and can carry a conversation ten times better than someone with ten degrees. What if someone is Autistic and has a bachelors degree but can't carry a conversation UNLESS it is on a subject that interest them and just a few others?! We know a doctor who has ADHD...takes pills to stay focused...can't talk about anything but cars! He has a lot of medical degrees...wouldn't consider him sophisticated UNLESS we were talking about cars.

On the flip side associating having a higher education with being capable of having an interesting conversation is simply ridiculous, and quite insulting actually to someone's intelligence! I think a lot of people who have a higher education seem to compare themselves to the homeless folks, (even though they have no idea how they became homeless, or if they have any degrees which they could have)....you have no clue (because you don't ever get off your high horse) if someone is an interesting person or not until you start a conversation...and of course due to America's need of keeping social classes alive and well (even though the propaganda says everyone has an "opportunity"), is why someone would start such thread.

Dude: if you want to live where the millionaires do search Realtor.com with criteria set from 1mil and up and call your movers. But that will not guarantee you "sophistication". Otherwise, UNLESS you get off the high horse and start talking with the mortals you will never get an answer to your question. Do consider that not everyone is into Shakespeare, or Mark Twain...just like some folks are not into Winchester's and Rolls Royce's!

Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
You are most welcomed Gulfer. Here is Tampa with more cities added from around the country. I've included areas like East Hampton, San Fran, Houston, essentially areas which might be thought of as sophisticated.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay