Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 AM

892 posts, read 1,578,645 times

Advertisements

For the last several days I (and everyone else I'm sure) has listened to the news channels talking about the people up North "suffering" during this winter storm......

Today's news channels sensationalize things so much no matter if it's a local story, anything to do with weather, politics, ect.....

The competition between news outlets and the 24 hour news cycle is gotten so bad in the last 10-15 years in my opinion.....

The fact is......

The overwhelming majority of "people up North" are not "suffering" through the winter storm......

They are just going about their lives like they do every winter....because every winter there are storms that have snow, ice, and cold......

Believe it or not.....it is no big deal to most of the people in those regions.....

Just like when a tropical storm hits Florida and the news makes it seem like the whole state is without power and people have had their homes swept away.....it's so over the top nowadays.

Our local news channels make it seem like anyone who chooses to live anywhere that has a "real winter" is just crazy in the head.....

And we are so lucky to not be "suffering" through winter.....

I speak to family and friends up North on the regular and non of them are "suffering".......

One of my friends from the Air Force has a local contract with his brother-in-law for snow removal and plowing up North......they're certainly not "suffering through winter"......

In fact, they both enjoy the winter season and the unique changes it brings....."keeps life interesting" he says!.....

In closing.....IMO, the modern style of news reporting is terribly annoying.

Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
I agree.

It was in the 70's over the weekend up in the Philly area where the majority of my friends and family are located. In recent weeks they've had some real cold weather (teens).

Having lived up there for 40 years, I can confirm that they most certainly over-hype any and all weather "events" on the local news, etc. It's ridiculous. My father was just telling me about the one channel's weather guy was going on and on about snow accumulation that was 1/10 of an inch. No, I am not kidding.

For the last several years, all of the stations constantly run "winter storm" graphics and little blurbs on commercial breaks warning of the impending danger in order to get people to tune into the 5:00, 6:00, or 11:00 news for the latest updates.

People rush out to fill their gas tanks (why? I am not sure since many are afraid to drive in the snow). They empty the shelves at the grocery/convenience stores of bread, milk, and eggs. The running joke among many is that everyone makes French toast when it snows.

They do the same nonsense in regards to the weather at other times of the year as well... Heat warnings (which I agree are serious for the elderly for example), and other stuff gets way overblown. It's all about getting people to tune in.

The takeaway from all of this is the media stinks everywhere. I always thought it was all just plain silly, now even more so.

As far as "winter weather goes" - I don't miss any of it. I worked many years when I was in my teens/twenties outside in the cold. I also shoveled and plowed enough snow for a lifetime. That was enough. Maybe in a few years or so I'll want to go up there to visit during the winter, but for now - no thanks.

My cousin relocated to Oklahoma from Pennsylvania around the same time I moved here. I was looking at some photos he took over the weekend as they had an ice storm. Everything has a 1/8" to 1/4" thick coating of ice - trees, houses, vehicles, powerlines, sidewalks, driveways, etc. That's far worse than any snow, in my opinion. We'd get those fairly often too. Power lines and tree limbs would come down, creating some dangerous situations.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
I agree too! Which is why I don't watch the "news"; just a lot of crap and bad acting!

If that was true, and those people were "suffering", then there wouldn't be anything by ghost towns up there! What should Canadians say?

Ridiculous.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:42 AM

641 posts, read 1,021,540 times
It is THE WORST when a little ole Tropical Storm comes through. LOL they will be outside "pretending" to get knocked over. I just get my forecast from my iphone now lol

Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
It is THE WORST when a little ole Tropical Storm comes through. LOL they will be outside "pretending" to get knocked over. I just get my forecast from my iphone now lol
I know....

25mph winds and they'll have their hood pulled up over their head and shouting, squinting, and moving around as if the weather is causing that to happen.....

Such a joke!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
During a big storm, all of the Philly weather reporters go to the NJ Shore dressed like the Gorton's fisherman and do a live-shot on the boardwalk, with waves crashing in the background, the wind blowing things over, etc. Stupidity isn't based on geography.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
During a big storm, all of the Philly weather reporters go to the NJ Shore dressed like the Gorton's fisherman and do a live-shot on the boardwalk, with waves crashing in the background, the wind blowing things over, etc. Stupidity isn't based on geography.
Dressed like the Gorton's Fisherman......

That's hilarious!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM

490 posts, read 584,685 times
The weather reporting has become pretty silly on the local news. As stated it's not unique to this area, however here perhaps its don't with $$$ intent to bring up in the face of tourist that it was a excellent idea to be here instead of home.
Several yrs ago the local weather started adding the word "your" to the forecast. Your Sunday weather for going to the Bucs game",..... first off its not my Sunday and why is it taken for granted that the majority of residents are going to the Bucs game? The weather forcaster will name a list of events where everyone is going on Friday night or Saturday morning.
Instead of saying on Saturday it looks like thunderstorms they have to add but it shouldn't ruin "your" whole beach day. Well what about the hundreds of thousands that are going to work or doing mundane things? Its totally skewed to the tourist or person of leisure to spend bucks. "Your Monday back to work forecast looks great no rain the next 7 days", well what about all the agricultural business that is praying for rain as the plants/livestock suffer and wilt?
This guy on Channel 10 is best for telling you what you need to be doing based on his weather reports. He also has cool names for the area that he uses and we know some such as the nature coast and suncoast but what about the heartland of Polk County??? Or the Cultural coast of Manatee and Sarasota? If you watch the ABC affilate in Sarasota channel 40 they don't call Sarasota the Cultural coast the weather and news people there call it the Suncoast.
Just report the weather and stop trying to personalize it and figure that everyone is going to a high school football game on Friday night.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
For the last several days I (and everyone else I'm sure) has listened to the news channels talking about the people up North "suffering" during this winter storm......

Do you agree?
Have you ever lived through an ice storm resulting in closure of all roads, doctors and nurses can't get to hospitals, patients can't be helped by EMS, electricity out for a day or more, no heat, temps below freezing? - can cause a lot of havoc and is newsworthy, imo. Pretty serious situation for those living in those conditions as they did this past weekend. I have family members who are used to heavy snow who were stressed out because they couldn't get to work, leave the house, heat the house, etc.

Not exactly sure you have a legitimate complaint.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:36 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
The "news" should be impartial, unbiased, and interesting! This thing where they're trying to be buddy buddy with the viewers is retarded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay