Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,092 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Asheville, NC and I want to relocate to the Tampa/Brandon area. I have a low paying job which I can transfer to that area but I need to know if there are any good jobs that will interview me over the phone and work with my relocating. Also if anyone can give me good ideas of affordable places to live that allow dogs and is in a good area. I have always wanted to move to Florida, I don't know much about it but I enjoy being there. I chose this area because I have a few friends already in that area. If anyone could give me any advice or information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times
There are many good jobs that offer relocation but in most cases positions with relocation benefits are skilled positions such as IT, finance, etc. And while an initial "screening" interview will usually be conducted over the phone with someone who isn't local, it will only be preliminary. The potential employer will want to interview the candidate in person. If the position offers relocation benefits, however, the employer will most likely pay the cost to fly the candidate down for the interview. But again, it depends on whether or not you are qualified for that type of position. What is your line of work? If you are not a viable candidate for a job that has relocation, I find it very unlikely that any employer would be willing to hire someone without meeting him or her first. Also, I would not be comfortable accepting a job and moving to another state without being able to physically visit the employer first.

You say you don't know much about Florida. You should do some research before deciding to make the move. You indicate that you have several friends in the area. You should definitely call them and get as much information as you can about how they like living here. You will get lots of viewpoints here in the forum - good bad and ugly - but the viewpoint of someone you know will be much more valuable since you will be abe to understand the perspective.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naenaek22 View Post
I am currently living in Asheville, NC and I want to relocate to the Tampa/Brandon area. I have a low paying job which I can transfer to that area but I need to know if there are any good jobs that will interview me over the phone and work with my relocating. Also if anyone can give me good ideas of affordable places to live that allow dogs and is in a good area. I have always wanted to move to Florida, I don't know much about it but I enjoy being there. I chose this area because I have a few friends already in that area. If anyone could give me any advice or information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Very difficult, especially in low paying service sector jobs (which I assume you're referring to) to get an interview, much less a job, without having a physical presence here. If you aren't here to interview you probably won't be considered.

That being said, I would suggest that you use one of your friend's address for your resume and get a Google Voice local (813, 727) number. You'll get far more callbacks with a local address and phone number.

This is an approach I have suggested even for professional (skilled) job seekers and the ones I know have done it have reported that it make a significant difference in the responses they got.

Good luck with your search.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: