Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:53 AM

164 posts, read 267,555 times

Advertisements

I'm curious...does this area have a lack of high paying/professional jobs? Tech jobs for example. Is it the entire state of Florida?

I read online somewhere that for every job there are at least 5 or more people applying. Compared to places like DC where only 1 or 2 people would apply for a job.

Do you believe this to be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:03 PM

27,303 posts, read 44,301,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
I'm curious...does this area have a lack of high paying/professional jobs? Tech jobs for example. Is it the entire state of Florida?

I read online somewhere that for every job there are at least 5 or more people applying. Compared to places like DC where only 1 or 2 people would apply for a job.

That's pretty much the case. The article below explains the situation for much of Central Florida. South Florida and Jacksonville fair a bit better. Central Florida low-wage workforce: Central Florida metro area job market is the lowest-paying in the country - Orlando Sentinel

Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM

892 posts, read 1,583,543 times
Quote:

Yes....

I believe it to be true....

Does this area have those type of jobs?.........Yes it does.....

However.....

There is a lot less than you would expect for a state with 20 million people......

Our economy is largely based on Tourism, housing, and service related jobs.

Tourists visit and spend money.......but don't need jobs
Retirees relocate here...................but don't need jobs
Snowbirds buy second houses here......but don't need jobs

In addition.....

Those type of jobs will likely pay much less than in some other places.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:30 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 943,528 times
Quote:
I'm curious...does this area have a lack of high paying/professional jobs? ... Compared to places like DC
Why compare Tampa/St. Pete to DC or places like DC?

Tampa/St. Pete is the second-largest metropolitan area in Florida. I'd assume we stack up OK with our neighbors' second-largest metro areas: Gulfport/Biloxi MS, Huntsville AL, and Augusta GA.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM

27,303 posts, read 44,301,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Why compare Tampa/St. Pete to DC or places like DC?

Tampa/St. Pete is the second-largest metropolitan area in Florida. I'd assume we stack up OK with our neighbors' second-largest metro areas: Gulfport/Biloxi MS, Huntsville AL, and Augusta GA.
In their defense Tampa Bay is the 18th largest metro in the US so to many (on the surface), it is a fair comparison.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,151,810 times
The company I work for is hiring like mad. We're a tech company. They also say that they get dozens of resumes for each opening.

So, I think there are a lot of positions available in the area. With that said... I also think there is a whole lot of competition for available positions.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM

164 posts, read 267,555 times
Great comments. I always hear the comment that you have to take half of your pay in sunshine if you live in FL. Seems to be true and with the lack of decent paying jobs in the area and many qualified applicants...it's truly an employer's market here.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 943,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In their defense Tampa Bay is the 18th largest metro in the US so to many (on the surface), it is a fair comparison.
Between retirees, quasi-retirees who want minimum wage jobs, and part-time residents claiming residency for tax purposes, half our population is not actually in the work force.

We have more in common with those other towns than DC in my view.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:57 PM

819 posts, read 1,418,031 times
My company has several tech openings in east Tampa for CS types and can't find suitable candidates; i.e. LOTS of resume padding and not a lot of real world experience.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:00 PM

237 posts, read 393,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
My company has several tech openings in east Tampa for CS types and can't find suitable candidates; i.e. LOTS of resume padding and not a lot of real world experience.
I think this is the case.

Job seekers who want professional jobs / pay without having to earn the credentials which means education / training and starting from the ground floor upward, aka blood sweat and tears.

Employers having to sift through endless resumes full of bulldinkies from job seekers like the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay