Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:26 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times

Advertisements

Thanks Gulfporter, I intend on doing that. I go to Tampa at least two-three times a year so will stop by, also plan on renting for a week next summer to get a better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
It's very walkable, very friendly, lots of eateries (it's a restaurant destination for the Greater Tampa Area). Two monthly evening Art Walks, weekly Tuesday Fresh Market. Come check it out!
Is there a list of the eateries anywhere on line? Thanks. Sounds like a great and fun area.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:13 PM

464 posts, read 645,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Is there a list of the eateries anywhere on line? Thanks. Sounds like a great and fun area.
This is link to Gulfport Merchants Association for restaurants:
Dining - GMA Members

This is tripadvisor's review area for Gulfport:
Gulfport, FL Restaurants: See 35 restaurants with 1,489 reviews - TripAdvisor

Oh...Save The Date....GeckoFest is fast approaching:
GeckoFest | Gulfport GeckoFest

Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 PM

745 posts, read 1,583,128 times
Besides O'Maddys and Salty's, although very beachy and Key West-like, I found it to be too sleepy and not enough going on for young people. But it's still a unique place.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
From South Beach to Gulfport???? Seriously? Nothing against Gulfport, it is a cute place but honestly, it is so small and sleepy I would think you would be bored after 2 hours.

Why not go downtown St. Pete at least? It seems it would be more your speed. Just a thought....

Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
From South Beach to Gulfport???? Seriously? Nothing against Gulfport, it is a cute place but honestly, it is so small and sleepy I would think you would be bored after 2 hours.

Why not go downtown St. Pete at least? It seems it would be more your speed. Just a thought....
Thanks Gypsychic. I will also look at downtown StPete. I have lived in South Beach for 12 years and it has changed a lot while I still love the beach, being walkable, plenty of places to eat. It has become very commercial and expensive so basically the thinking is once I retire what I could make for selling my place here would more than pay for anything I buy in that area. But as I said I like it to be walkable, places to eat and beach nearby. It doesn't have to be South Beach, also I'm way past the age of clubbing etc.

I'll check both out in the next couple of years

Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 PM

131 posts, read 139,676 times
Default nonsence

The post I made are accurate and informative to potential visitors and residents. The information can be found in the City-Data site, on Goggle's elevations utility and the web in general. Most of the small cities in Pinellas county (under 25,000) employ the Sheriffs Department for law enforcement at a reasonable cost, but Gulfport employs it's own Police Department that cost the tax payers nearly half their annual budget. Why would a City spend millions of dollars more on a Police Department if the Sheriffs Department would only cost million less? And why is the property crime higher in that City than any other small City in the County?

Investors should know what they're getting into, they should have all the facts, not just a one sided story from your perspective that hardly reflects the lives of real residents. Who goes out to eat every night, I mean really?

The City's own records will reflect that most or nearly 50% of the City's property is not owner occupied and resent trends in property acquisition reflect LLC purchases leading the charge, for resale or rental. The majority of rentals fall within the Section 8 requirements and are now more than ever a growing segment and % of property in use. In my search to relocate, I considered Gulfport, and what I found was unacceptable.

You have the right to your own opinion but not your own facts. Moving to an unknown area is hard enough without being misled or being taken advantage of by people who think they can just click their heals and turn something into something else while turning a blind eye to reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
Leenme....seems you joined this board just to post two incredibly negative and misleading posts about Gulfport.

First, Flyred777 is correct; most of Gulfport is either not in a flood zone or is in X zone. The flood maps that you have unilaterally determined to be 'obsolete' are not; in fact they are the current maps used by FEMA.

As far as crime and neglect: Historic Gulfport suffers from neither. Unless you consider the restoration, maintenance and retention of our historic brick-lined streets as 'neglect.' South Pinellas does have pockets of high crime and neglect; but again, we're talking about Historic Gulfport.

Gulfport is astoundingly safe, secure, friendly....a very happy place to live (you may not fit in, based on your two posts ). We go out every night for dinner (to one of the dozen+ excellent restaurants, not bars). After dinner I usually walk for another hour around town by myself (60 y/o female). The only people I run into are those walking their dogs, or walking around with their kids. Or on their bicycles. Oh...I often run into cats roaming around after dark, who just want a good ear-scratching.

And I can assure you that few if any of the houses in Historic Gulfport are in Section 8. Historic Gulfport is a relatively hot real estate market now; most homes sell very quickly. Of the TWENTY or so homes on our street and the two adjacent streets, exactly TWO are owned by snowbirds. Everyone else lives in Gulfport full time. Of these same TWENTY homes, a different TWO are rental houses; one renter has been in her home for over 10 years; the other has been there for 5 years.

My neighbors are a wonderful mix of professional working couples, young families with kids, a few young(ish) retirees like ourselves, lots of artists, creative people, chefs, entrepreneurs.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-06-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 12:53 PM

"Undergoing a Map Change

Flood risk can, and does, change over time. Flood risks change for many reasons: new development, changes in levee classification, and environmental changes, to name a few. As a result FEMA is updating flood hazard maps across the country. These new flood maps, also, known as Digital Flood Insurance Rate Maps (DFIRMs), show flood risk at a property-by-property level.
When new maps are issued, your risk may have changed as well along with your flood insurance requirements"
https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmar...map_change.jsp

Old 07-20-2014, 01:06 PM

464 posts, read 645,494 times
I have no agenda...I simply LOVE where I live in Historic Gulfport!

And again, what I am talking about is the HISTORIC Waterfront District of Gulfport which is roughly a rectangle bounded by 22nd Ave S. to 58th St. South to Shore Blvd. to 49th St. S.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:10 PM

As for the Historic brick lined streets, there may be three brick streets, the rest are paved, most without sidewalks, many with pot-holes, trash, cigarette butts and dog poop according to the public's own complaints on the local newspaper FB page. Gulfportian might be a Real-Estate Broker so take it all in with a grain of salt. There are years of articles written about the neglect of that City. Cars on blocks, garbage in the yards, there was even a group that organized to address the depreciating condition and trash throughout the City including the beach. Don't be fooled by quaint and surface charm, be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay