Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 AM

350 posts, read 333,560 times

Advertisements

My daughter's closing is scheduled for May 29...hoo-ray! The house is not equipped with a home security system....She doesn't have need for an elaborate system... any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
My daughter's closing is scheduled for May 29...hoo-ray! The house is not equipped with a home security system....She doesn't have need for an elaborate system... any suggestions?

Just get Motion Detectors installed in each room. If someone gets through a door or a window the Motion detector will trip the alarm. That will avoid having contacts placed on each window and door. Using this method by itself does have its drawbacks. The alarm system will not dial out right away because the system will allow time for the homeowner to disarm the system after they come in the house (thus registering an alarm condition). A way around that is to use remote arm/disarm devices so the alarm is always "hot" when the house is unoccupied.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 AM

163 posts, read 208,696 times
i have a " motion detector" he is a 90 pound german sheperd :-)

Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesbulldog View Post
i have a " motion detector" he is a 90 pound german sheperd :-)

He becomes quite ineffective with a couple of .38 rounds in his head upon the intruder entering the premises. The intruder already knows it is there and takes immediate action to eliminate the problem.
A steak marinated in rat poison works too.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM

163 posts, read 208,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
He becomes quite ineffective with a couple of .38 rounds in his head upon the intruder entering the premises. The intruder already knows it is there and takes immediate action to eliminate the problem.
A steak marinated in rat poison works too.
LOL. FALSE. You obviously are out of your realm of expertise when it comes to trained K-9 dogs and criminals. no burglar in his right mind would ever even TRY to come into a house with a real attack dog. i trained german sheperds for over 30 years, he wont eat unless the wife or i feed him, i dont give a damn if you drop a cooked steak right in front of him. as far as guns go? only a crazy man would try it, he knows if the first shot dont hit he is in a world of hurt

Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
I don't think it possible to find someone who will installed wired system at the house. Few years ago I was shopping around for home security system and every place I called was using wireless system. It's easy for them...
Without going into details... best way to do home securoty is to purchase wireless equipment online and install it yourself. then find company for monitoring services (usually around $10 if you have a land line and around $20 for cell phone, but you will have to purchase router if no land line is available).

In this case your equipment is your equipment and its yours from day 1. You don't have to sign long term contract (2-3 years without the right to cancel - if you cancel you still need to pay until your contract is over), and monitoring services will be the same as you will get through major/local places, but you will be paying at least twice less or even more.

If you don't know what to get, find a monitoring service first and ask what equipment they could suggest you. If you have a large dog motion sensers system is not what you need. It's better to install the system that will react on glass braking noise instead.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesbulldog View Post
LOL. FALSE. You obviously are out of your realm of expertise when it comes to trained K-9 dogs and criminals. no burglar in his right mind would ever even TRY to come into a house with a real attack dog. i trained german sheperds for over 30 years, he wont eat unless the wife or i feed him, i dont give a damn if you drop a cooked steak right in front of him. as far as guns go? only a crazy man would try it, he knows if the first shot dont hit he is in a world of hurt
A bullet moves a whole lot faster than any living thing and semi automatic weapons fire at a very fast rate.

Tasers are also good at neutralizing a threat.

Ive heard of more successful burglaries in the presence of a dog than Ive heard of unsuccessful ones.

A great deterrent against the average crime of opportunity type of criminal but no match against a professional or experienced burglar who has a reason to get in.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 AM

Yes, very hard to find a company that does hardwire work these days. Technology has surpassed it.

Wireless systems are very easy to install and monitoring services are cheaper when you get your own.

Alarm companies give you a "free system" and then makeup their investment in the higher monitoring fees.

Most wireless systems contain their own communication device. Long range radio is one of the methods. Some systems work on the cellular system. A dialer is built into the alarm system
and it calls the pre determined alarm center.

As EngGirl mentions, glass break sensors are great. They can sense attack (vibrations) of the glass and send an alarm before the actual breakage occurs. However, they are more expensive that motion detectors, but if the situation does not allow motion detectors glass break would be the next option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I don't think it possible to find someone who will installed wired system at the house. Few years ago I was shopping around for home security system and every place I called was using wireless system. It's easy for them...
Without going into details... best way to do home securoty is to purchase wireless equipment online and install it yourself. then find company for monitoring services (usually around $10 if you have a land line and around $20 for cell phone, but you will have to purchase router if no land line is available).

In this case your equipment is your equipment and its yours from day 1. You don't have to sign long term contract (2-3 years without the right to cancel - if you cancel you still need to pay until your contract is over), and monitoring services will be the same as you will get through major/local places, but you will be paying at least twice less or even more.

If you don't know what to get, find a monitoring service first and ask what equipment they could suggest you. If you have a large dog motion sensers system is not what you need. It's better to install the system that will react on glass braking noise instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay