Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 AM

14 posts, read 15,404 times

Advertisements

Good Morning All,

I would like to relocate to the Tampa Area (Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater) I would love to be 30 minutes to the beach or closer. Could you please suggest some good, safe neighborhoods, with good schools? A High School with a Graphic Design/Video Game Design course would be great as my son is in a program where we live now and I would like him to be able to transfer.

Thanks in Advance for your assistance.

Respectfully,

TToTheB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TToTheB View Post
Good Morning All,

I would like to relocate to the Tampa Area (Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater) I would love to be 30 minutes to the beach or closer. Could you please suggest some good, safe neighborhoods, with good schools? A High School with a Graphic Design/Video Game Design course would be great as my son is in a program where we live now and I would like him to be able to transfer.

Thanks in Advance for your assistance.

Respectfully,

TToTheB
Look into Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Safety Harbor, or Oldsmar. Those are all safe, good neighborhoods within 30 minutes from some beautiful beaches. The East Lake area is also nice - it's not a city per se, but more of a bunch of neighborhoods off of East Lake Road. (Locals refer to it as "East Lake" since it is east of Lake Tarpon, a large lake in the area.)

East Lake High School has an Engineering Academy that has a strong technology component. Here's their website: Engineering Academy

Countryside High School offers an ISTEM program that also may have what you are looking for: https://www.pcsb.org/index.php?optio...stem&catid=244

Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Look into Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Safety Harbor, or Oldsmar. Those are all safe, good neighborhoods within 30 minutes from some beautiful beaches. The East Lake area is also nice - it's not a city per se, but more of a bunch of neighborhoods off of East Lake Road. (Locals refer to it as "East Lake" since it is east of Lake Tarpon, a large lake in the area.)

East Lake High School has an Engineering Academy that has a strong technology component. Here's their website: Engineering Academy

Countryside High School offers an ISTEM program that also may have what you are looking for: https://www.pcsb.org/index.php?optio...stem&catid=244

Thanks floridagirl777 I will take a look at these areas? Do you know how the Commute would be from any of these areas to Tampa in the morn and evening?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
"30 minutes from the beach" and "commute to Tampa" are a tough combination.

Tampa is not close to the beach, making commuting from those areas difficult and time-consuming.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out the logistics of your choices may cause some consternation.

East Lake would be one of the better choices for a Tampa commute. What really affects the commute would be where in Tampa you would be commuting to. If you have an idea please share it so we can be more accurate.

RM

Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,205,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

Tampa is not close to the beach, making commuting from those areas difficult and time-consuming.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out the logistics of your choices may cause some consternation.

East Lake would be one of the better choices for a Tampa commute. What really affects the commute would be where in Tampa you would be commuting to. If you have an idea please share it so we can be more accurate.

RM
Not really. From East lake to get to Tampa you either get through Countryside/Safety Harbor or Oldsmar/Westchase. So, not exactly the better choice from the above mentioned Pinellas County places. Is there another way to travel that we don't know ?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:

RM
Hi MortonR,

No idea where we will be living. I am still working on the job part. As I work in IT Security it seems that a lot of the positions are in Tampa or at MacDill. We have been looking at a lot of homes in St. Pete and Clearwater. I know some of the "must Have's" on my list are going to change as they may start to conflict with each other. I currently like about 23 Miles south of DC and it takes me 1.5 hours to get to work on a good day.... Those days are few and far between. So with that being said I am trying to get as much info so I can back the best decision that will allow me to have my cake and eat it too or atleast some of that cake. Semi Close to the beach and a commute that is 45mins or less. If possible. I am trying to find some teleworking jobs as well which would make a huge difference.

Thanks for all of the info everyone.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I agree with this. The places I mentioned would not be too commuter-friendly into Tampa. Although perhaps if you lived on the extreme northern end of Safety Harbor you might be able to get into Tampa by way of the Cortney Campbell in about 30 minutes depending on traffic. It can get pretty backed up at certain times of the day.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,614,004 times
Which will you be doing more often? work or the beach?

Seems to me like Westchase might fit the bill in your case. The less money you spend on gas going to/from work, the more you'll have to explore our beaches...make sense? Just because you had a long commute in DC that doesn't mean you have to have one here too....account for snow birds and tourists that make our traffic insanely annoying.

Just an FYI: there is NO highway/high speed road going from East Lake into Tampa. Just stop & go on Tampa road which becomes Hillsborough Avenue which SUCKS....

I am not saying East Lake-Palm Harbor aren't nice...they are fine, but the commute will be ten times more annoying than what you're dealing with now. Either find a job in that area around Pinellas, or live in Westchase...IF South Tampa is too expensive.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I completely agree with this with just one caveat. We are in the East Lake corridor, but are considered Palm Harbor. Not just for mailing, but the actual physical address in all records and appraiser's and tax departments. The East Lake corridor contains parts of Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor and unicorporated areas. It is a fantastic area.

Realistic commute time to DT Tampa though is 45-75 minutes, as Hillsborough Road is simply awful during rush hour and the Causeway can be tough as well......plus the time getting around in DT Tampa.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 07-15-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I completely agree with this with just one caveat. We are in the East Lake corridor, but are considered Palm Harbor. Not just for mailing, but the actual physical address in all records and appraiser's and tax departments. The East Lake corridor contains parts of Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor and unicorporated areas. It is a fantastic area.

Realistic commute time to DT Tampa though is 45-75 minutes, as Hillsborough Road is simply awful during rush hour and the Causeway can be tough as well......plus the time getting around in DT Tampa.
Thank you for clarifying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay