Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 PM

219 posts, read 377,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Um, that sounds like American, United, Delta or the rest of the hub-and-spoke airlines.

[disclaimer: I have an Allegiant flight pass which allows for unlimited standby travel]

Their model is different than any other airline. They only fly back and forth between their hubs in FL/CA/AZ/NV and tiny towns, which means they do not offer connecting flights. If they do not go nonstop to where you want to go (say, east coast to west coast), you can't book it as one trip. They don't have a frequent flier program and they don't allow for flight changes (it would be cheaper to throw the ticket away than pay what other airlines charge for flight changes). While a few business travelers will use Allegiant (how else do you get to South Bend, IN or Elmira, NY in a hurry?), most of the passengers are, shall we say politely, amateur fliers. Expect a passenger or two to be carrying their clothes in a Hefty bag.

They also have ridiculously high load factors, which means almost every flight runs 95-100% full. If you can throw your clothes in a duffel bag for a two-day trip and don't care about a middle seat for your 2 hour flight, tickets will cost you $50-75 each way to most of their locations. Plus, PIE is a dream airport to get in/out of (but TPA is also very good in this regard).

They have a very low cancellation rate compared to larger airlines, because they don't have other flights to stick you on. If there is a plane in Branson, MO and you are scheduled to fly to PIE, there is a 0% chance you will get cancelled for weather/mechanical reasons. They will send another plane if they have to, because the crew is based out of PIE and they need to get back home.
Crackin' me up here about some of the travelers.....sooooo true! Like I said, we use them for convenience not savings and pay for the extras...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,747 times
I've flown on them a few times and have never had a problem. They were cheaper and much more convenient for where I was heading, and all the flights were on time. My parents fly them frequently when they make trips to and from Florida. One time the flight was cancelled due to winter weather up north, which meant they had to stay a couple extra days until the next flight was scheduled. Not a problem for them since they're retired, but Allegiant just doesn't have the frequency of flights for most business people or those who would really be negatively effected by a cancellation.

The only negative thing is that whenever I do fly Allegiant, I feel like I'm on a Greyhound bus with wings.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Allegiant getting trashed by CBS's 60 Minutes ---- yikes.

When 60 Minutes gets involved, you know something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:12 PM

Flyer beware? 60 Minutes' Allegiant Air investigation

Steve Kroft talks with 60 Minutes Overtime about safety concerns aboard Allegiant Air—and his own close call decades ago on a press charter

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flyer-b...investigation/

Old 04-15-2018, 06:04 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
Has anyone used this carrier out of St. Pete airport? Allegient is truly no-frills, but has some interesting non-stops out of PIE at very low rates.

Friends near Orlando have used Allegient to bring parents down to Sanford airport from NE Penn. Varying results, including cancellations if flights don't sell a lot of seats. Not a huge deal for my friends as their parents just go home, get the next flight in a day or two.

If we used them, it'd likely be for a getaway with a non-refundable B&B and/or vacation rental at our destination, so a last minute cancellation would be costly. Allegient flights from PIE to other destinations are usually every few days, not daily.
Good way to die sly.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
After watching that 60 minutes segment you wouldnt get me on that airline even if it were free.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After watching that 60 minutes segment you wouldnt get me on that airline even if it were free.
Saving a few dollars by buying a cheap tix just isn't worth it.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:16 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,698 times
Anyone following the Tampa Bay Times excellent investigations into Allegiant will know why they're cheap.
Ancient aircraft which break down regularly.
I wouldn't fly them if they were free.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 AM

520 posts, read 869,187 times
Allegient is a crash waiting to happen, we deserve better than this. The FAA needs to get their act together also.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
Allegient is a crash waiting to happen, we deserve better than this. The FAA needs to get their act together also.
I was sitting outside of PIE waiting for a flight and happened to be in my car at a drug store just under the landing flight pattern and that damn plane looked like it wasn't going to make the runway. Of course, that's how planes approach the runway, but if I worked at that Ulmerton CVS, I'd make sure I had life insurance because one day a plane will be coming through their front door......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay