Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 AM

464 posts, read 645,585 times

Advertisements

I'm nuts for history too and we'll get over to the History Center soon.

I grew up a first-generation American in a northeast city that was populated and somewhat segregated by ethnic groups, each in their own neighborhood. I am especially interested in the history of ethnic groups in the US and why they came to where they did.

When we first visited the Tampa Bay area to buy a house, we were a bit surprised by the number of Greek restaurants and the inclusion of one or two Greek dishes on many (non-Greek) restaurant menus. Here in Gulfport we have Neptune's Restaurant and when we eat there, there are almost always large family tables, with Greek being spoken by all the generations at the tables. Our convenience store in Historic Gulfport is owned by a Greek family and they sell take-away Greek dishes from their deli area.

At some point we wandered over to Tarpon Springs, which solved the reasons for the Greek Connection in this area.

It's a fascinating history. The following link will take you to a an actual Polk County school classroom study of this history. You can also google and find other links to this topic, however, I found this link to be comprehensive and full of interesting small and local facts.

https://www.polk-fl.net/staff/teache...essons/d-2.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
It's alright, but you can be done with it in a couple hours. Maybe go there then take the trolly and hit up some bars/food in Ybor to make a day out of it.
We love taking the trolley places down there!

I agree - the History Center doesn't take a full day. People can also walk a little ways and tour the SS American Victory battleship, or do a free Port of Tampa boat tour. Lots of neat stuff to do down there!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post

I grew up a first-generation American in a northeast city that was populated and somewhat segregated by ethnic groups, each in their own neighborhood. I am especially interested in the history of ethnic groups in the US and why they came to where they did.
The first thing I do when we visit a big city is hit up the ethnic neighborhoods - I especially love Chinatown in NYC and the Boston's North End!

Quote:
At some point we wandered over to Tarpon Springs, which solved the reasons for the Greek Connection in this area.
Tarpon Springs is great! I love Hella's bakery there … yum! I am friends with a few Greek families and I have to say they are some of the warmest people I know. And wow, can they cook!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
We love taking the trolley places down there!

I agree - the History Center doesn't take a full day. People can also walk a little ways and tour the SS American Victory battleship, or do a free Port of Tampa boat tour. Lots of neat stuff to do down there!
It will be much, much better once Jeff Vinik completes his vision for that entire area.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:19 PM

73,017 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Actually, Ybor brought cigars to Key West after running from the Spanish military for funding the Cuban resistance. Steve Otto (I believe was his name) mistakenly believed that wild guava grew in Central Florida. He didn't find the guava, but he sailed back to New York and stopped in Key West to visit his friend (Ybor). He informed Ybor that Tampa has the perfect environment for his tobacco to grow. Ybor, who was afraid that his factory would burn down in Key West, bought land in what later became Ybor City. He found that the Cubans who came with him stayed for a month, made some money, then went back to Cuba. He then built the shotgun style houses around Ybor and sold them to the Cubans at cost. Cubans then moved their families to Ybor and encouraged competitors to move to Ybor as well. With the influx of people moving to the area, they needed stores and entertainment, and Ybor was built up to about what it is today. Guavaween, and Tampa's nickname "The Big Guava" are named after Steve Otto's belief that guava grew in Central Florida.
Well, in a way, didn't Ybor help bring the cigar industry to Tampa?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 PM

73,017 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post

When we first visited the Tampa Bay area to buy a house, we were a bit surprised by the number of Greek restaurants and the inclusion of one or two Greek dishes on many (non-Greek) restaurant menus. Here in Gulfport we have Neptune's Restaurant and when we eat there, there are almost always large family tables, with Greek being spoken by all the generations at the tables. Our convenience store in Historic Gulfport is owned by a Greek family and they sell take-away Greek dishes from their deli area.

It's a fascinating history. The following link will take you to a an actual Polk County school classroom study of this history. You can also google and find other links to this topic, however, I found this link to be comprehensive and full of interesting small and local facts.

https://www.polk-fl.net/staff/teache...essons/d-2.pdf
Tarpon Springs has the largest percentage of Greeks in the USA. I've seen Tarpon Springs in pictures. It looks sort of like it's Greece.

There is a club in Tarpon Springs called Zorba's.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, in a way, didn't Ybor help bring the cigar industry to Tampa?
Once in Tampa, yes. He encouraged competing cigar manufacturers come to his city. After his death, West Tampa was then created to try to recreate the success of Ybor City.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 AM

Has anyone noticed that West Tampa may be undergoing gentrification? I drove through there the other day and although a lot of it still looked run-down, I noticed a few places looked like they'd be renovated. I was wondering if things were changing there.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:10 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Quote:
Has anyone noticed that West Tampa may be undergoing gentrification? I drove through there the other day and although a lot of it still looked run-down, I noticed a few places looked like they'd be renovated. I was wondering if things were changing there.
Depends what part you're at. West Tampa and Tampa Heights are trying.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
For those who are interested in a fun an informative day out, check out the Tampa Bay History Center:

Tampa Bay History Center -

I just visited it today and had a great time! There's all kinds of short films there as well as artifacts and information about how Tampa has grown and changed over the years. My favorite aspect was learning how the Italian and Cuban population impacted the area culturally. We really have a rich heritage there. Having the Columbia Cafe on site was also a big plus! They make great picadillo, flan, and plantanos maduros!

Anyway, it was a nice way to spend the afternoon and learn a bit about one of my favorite cities.
everyone who lives here owes it to themselves to learn about the history of the area by visiting the museum..... I learned a lot by visiting there - especially the Seminole Indian Wars - didn't realize that future Pres Andrew Jackson had a huge role in the Seminole Wars......and I agree the Cuban-American history/cigar industry was very worthwhile learning....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay