Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 PM

203 posts, read 961,463 times

Advertisements

TAXES AND INSURANCE
TAKE A STAND . LET GOV CRIST KNOW WHERE YOU STAND ON FLORIDA PROPERTY TAXES AND FLORIDA INSURANCE ISSUES THIS LINK charlie.crist@myflorida.com WILL PUT YOU IN CONTACT WHERE YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OPINION KNOWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM

112 posts, read 491,921 times
Taxes and Insurance are not the only thing that has got out of hand in Florida. The cost of living is now very high, while the wages are staying the same. That's also a HUGE concern. INFLATION

Old 09-18-2007, 03:18 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,372,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
Taxes and Insurance are not the only thing that has got out of hand in Florida. The cost of living is now very high, while the wages are staying the same. That's also a HUGE concern. INFLATION
Agreed. A lot of places have their wages at least go up...but minimum wage remains 6.67 here or so. We're paying northern prices on southern wages, and it's disgusting.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,304 times
Thumbs down deny homestead

impact taxes,aka impact fees. how does a politician deny homestead exemption and still send a stub saying your getting one? all they have to do is reach 25,000 in impact fees and they've done it.
ok lets break it down. actual cost for a contractor to build a house is 100,000. this would be the true value of the house. now he gives the county 25,000 for impact taxes. now the minumum sale price for the house is 125,000. this is assuming the builder does'nt make one penny on the sale .so we start off with an artificial inflation of 25,000. now the county assesses the house at 125,000, because it will sell at that price. remember it has to now just for the builder to break even.thus whoever buys this house has been denied a true homestead benefit , they [ we ] are paying taxes on taxes.

also any house that has'nt paid an impact tax , has also been artificially inflated by the impact tax amount and when its sold the seller who has paid none of these , puts the extra money in his pocket says thanks much ,cya.they love impact tax increases because it makes their house sell at a higher price, that they put in their pocket when they get out of here. why do they get to profit from an unfair tax structure? JOHN

Old 12-21-2007, 05:53 PM

192 posts, read 858,558 times
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. A lot of places have their wages at least go up...but minimum wage remains 6.67 here or so. We're paying northern prices on southern wages, and it's disgusting.
No kidding, here is a good one for you, I'm a nurse but have been out of workforce the last 4 years due to elder care issues. In my job search they are screaming for nurses but wages have fallen by almost $4 an hour from 4 years ago???? How does that happen??? I ended up taking a position doing the same thing I was doing for $3.50 less an hour, this as cost of living and insurance have skyrocketed, gotta love FL.
Merry Christmas all or is it Happy Holiday either way have a very nice one and enjoy your friends and family and may next year bring us much needed relief.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:17 PM

326 posts, read 1,372,800 times
I left FL earlier this year. My retail store's takings dropped 70% over 2 years. My customers main topic of conversation was taxes and insurance, and at least twice a week someone would tell me they were relocating to a different state. My own house was 875 S.F and property tax cost $3600. Insurance was 2K with Citizens. Had 97K mortgage @ 5.75 30yr fixed. Had mortgage payments of $1100 a month. This is rediculous for a 2/1. But this is whats crazy, my house sold for $159K in June 07 and the new owners' being taxed on $186K for 2008. They are basing their tax rates on 05/06 sales

Old 12-22-2007, 09:49 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,385,908 times
My company got smart in 2006, and brought Tampa to a more meaningful pay scale compared to cost of living. Salary scales increased by about 10k across the board for most positions. I think people have to either look for these types of companies, change their careers, or move. I was seriously considering leaving my company and entertaining other options, when they announced the "cost of living" increase and change in salary scale for the Tampa and Florida markets.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:39 PM

192 posts, read 858,558 times
Quote:
My company got smart in 2006, and brought Tampa to a more meaningful pay scale compared to cost of living. Salary scales increased by about 10k across the board for most positions. I think people have to either look for these types of companies, change their careers, or move. I was seriously considering leaving my company and entertaining other options, when they announced the "cost of living" increase and change in salary scale for the Tampa and Florida markets.
That's great Tampaguy03, I was stunned that nursing rates had fallen. The excuses I heard ranged from lower medicare payments to our "insurance rates have skyrocketed", our food costs are through the roof, we have to cut somehow. Mine too

Nice to see some companies realize that to keep good folks they need to pay a living wage.
As for emailing Charley "drop like a rock" Christ I did not even get an computer reply.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,216,803 times
All the higher ups taxes increased also, so naturally they will cut lower employees pay to make up the difference. This state is disgusting and I hate my coworkers too. Everyday we have to be on our toes just talking about money and get my bills paid, etc. I can't wait to leave this festering pot of $%#t

Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,932,390 times
i do not understand why the politicians do not see eliminating property taxes as a way to save this state. florida is a beautiful state with great weather but it is hard to live here. if property taxes were eliminated, jobs would be created, people could deal with the lower wage scale, and there would be more money to spend so businesses would grow and new ones would be able to get started. there would be less renters and it is way better to have people investing in their neighborhoods. if people did not like one area of florida they could find another area in florida where they would be happy and portability would not even be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay