Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 AM

351 posts, read 321,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Here are some advices (free!):
1) stop buying junk food. At all. It all comes from the family. Watch what you are buying and eating!
2) get rid of computer games
3) enroll you child to PE activities
4) start exercising as a family - no need to buy membership to the gym, just start with walking every weekend. Go to lettuce lake park for example and walk there - even during hot months early morning walks are doable! Get bicycles and start riding it too.

Most important - read about obesity. Get a real book and read about all risks. Think about your child future...
Excellent advice.

Also, the OP is in process of moving here based on what he's written on other threads. Try to find a home in an area where walking or biking to stores is feasible. Send the kid on daily errands to pick up this or that (but count your change so he/she isn't sneaking in some treats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 07:39 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
On the personal note I am so mad at parents who let their kids suffer from obesity. And in 99% case parents are also suffering from obesity themselves! Any grocery store in this country offers many healthy options!!! Start with fresh fruits and veggies. It drive me nuts some kids have no clue how most veggies are look like. Seriously? Not that you have no option to see all these in stores...
Chips, canned food, processed food, frozen food - it's a waste of money. You don't have to be a master chief to cook simple and healthy meals and snacks.
Forget about McDonalds and other fast food places. Research and see what they are using and think.
When I see some people's grocery carts in the store I have no words. I think people who slowly damaging themselves and their kids need to be penalized!!!

Buy a freaking ball and go outside and play with your child! Run! Jump! It will cost you nothing! And it's bonding time with your kids and something beneficial for both of you.

There is no excuse and buying expensive tablets and loading costly computer games and spending money on junk food is not even economical!!!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:12 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
People receiving snap benefits in Florida is 3,555,983 and you can buy all the junk food you want. The federal govt. has to change the foods that you can use a snap card to buy. Until then kids and adults will continue to get fatter.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Greetings:

I am wondering if there are any Weight Loss Programs for kids in the TB area.

Thanks..

I believe Weight Watchers has a program for teenagers or someone younger but your best bet is to take the child the their physician and ask for a referral for a dietitian who works specifically with children.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
People receiving snap benefits in Florida is 3,555,983 and you can buy all the junk food you want. The federal govt. has to change the foods that you can use a snap card to buy. Until then kids and adults will continue to get fatter.
Last time I was in Publix I saw little symbols on fresh veggies and fruits price tags that pointing out these are eligible items.
Food stamps are also abused which is another topic. Few years ago I was witnessing people at walmart's registries who were paying for people's groceries with their food stamp cards, and people were giving them cash less than they paid afterwards.

I am happy to learn schools are talking about healthy food choices with kids. Unfortunately parents are the one that need to be told...

Old 11-04-2014, 04:48 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
What about playing outside or in a park?? It's free

Old 11-04-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
What about playing outside or in a park?? It's free
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay