Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

I would go with something financial. Lots of rich retirees/and others move here...what's better than to tell them what to do with their stupid money!? LOL
seems to me that there's a glut in the market for financial planners - if you want to fight the competition, you better be good and know your stuff......they're a dime a dozen down here offering free lunch seminars just for the chance to *********r portfolio/nest egg up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Average Phlebotomist salaries for job postings in Tampa, FL are 14% lower than average Phlebotomist salaries for job postings nationwide.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Phlebotomy doesn't take a college degree. Doesn't take a hell of a lot of education to be one. Pay should be commensurate to what a convenience worker makes or a Walmart greeter.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Phlebotomy doesn't take a college degree. Doesn't take a hell of a lot of education to be one.
All the better. They make damn good money - a friend of mine (female) supported her husband and whole family, invested in real estate AND retired early. That seems pretty good to me. Maybe some of the whiners on this forum should look into it. (not talking about you, Bucfan)

Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM

Seems to me that law enforcement, criminal justice is another option for this area.......I'm just sayin'.

Manatee Fugitives and Mugshots | Bradenton Herald

Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM

27 posts, read 28,887 times
Quote:
Not just inpatient care - outpatient, home health, medical supply industry management, audiology, respiratory therapy - so many ancillary medically related jobs/careers unrelated to just being a physician or nurse.
Respiratory therapy would be a great choice for a state loaded with seniors. Most of them spent a lifetime smoking, and those who don't pass away early from strokes and heart attacks will eventually land in a hospital, unable to breathe. COPD, pneumonia and lung cancer equal money and job security as countless millions of boomers make their way through the medical industry over the next couple decades. Get in a hospital and you'll be setting up nebulizers (and those forced induction CPAP deals) four times a day for every wheezy person in the place.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 11,641 times
I want to thank all of you for responding. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I got kinda busy. You guys gave me some great ideas I hadnt thought of. If I could be a nurse, I would. They have good schedules, as many work only 3 days a week, and the salary is close to the top for 4-year degrees.

I also thought about going into Finance or Accounting. However, Im not sure I could compete with some of the grads in Finance. Many are extremely good and eat, sleep, and breath the markets. Personally, I think Finance and Accounting degree holders deserve a higher salary. Not only do these people have to worry and follow the United States economy, they now have to follow nearly every large economy in the world. If you dont truly love this field and dont want to work 70-80 hours a week it really isnt worth it (I think).

I havent really found anything I want to do and have been like that for years, which isnt good because if you dont have a post-secondary education you arent going to be making a living income. Well, maybe a living income, but not enough to live and save for retirement. I have thought about getting into a trade or contracting. Im not sure if those are strong in the Florida area or not.

Im pretty lost, lol.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane2990 View Post

Im pretty lost, lol.
I was in your shoes early in my twenties. I had planned on studying finance and accounting/economics. I attended USF for two years and looked around my classes and saw 300 people in my classes all wanting to do the same thing. I wasn't solid in my classes (mediocre student) and didn't seem to have a lot of direction. I decided to join the military after 2 yrs at USF, earned some money to finish my college education and went into healthcare while attending ROTC (at another school). I was an Army medic for three years and it gave me direction to school and graduate school later on. Don't feel bad if you don't know what you want to do with the rest of your life - many people change their college degrees several times while in school.

I refuse to recommend military service to anyone because it's tough work, especially the first year through basic training and individual training in your specialty. And now we're involved in a couple of combat zones and who knows how long that will go on. But it should be an option for folks who are at a loss for what direction they want to go for their profession.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
I was in your shoes early in my twenties. I had planned on studying finance and accounting/economics. I attended USF for two years and looked around my classes and saw 300 people in my classes all wanting to do the same thing. I wasn't solid in my classes (mediocre student) and didn't seem to have a lot of direction. I decided to join the military after 2 yrs at USF, earned some money to finish my college education and went into healthcare while attending ROTC (at another school). I was an Army medic for three years and it gave me direction to school and graduate school later on. Don't feel bad if you don't know what you want to do with the rest of your life - many people change their college degrees several times while in school.

I refuse to recommend military service to anyone because it's tough work, especially the first year through basic training and individual training in your specialty. And now we're involved in a couple of combat zones and who knows how long that will go on. But it should be an option for folks who are at a loss for what direction they want to go for their profession.
Good advice......

Old 11-11-2014, 02:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
Don't forget IT - every major company needs those folks, and Tech Data is a great company based here, as it Jabil.
Raymond James for and Franklin Templeton have major centers here (RJ based here). Home Shopping network based here.
There are a ton of internationally owned companies here, you can get a list from the Chamber of Commerce or google online for that kind of stat. There are a lot of service industries here and if you have an MBA you can probably get a foot in many doors in many companies. Engineering - if you have the aptitude and time - can take 5 years. If you are a female you will find companies looking to hire a diverse workforce will snap you up. If I had my time all over again......
Avoid real estate, there are way too many of us LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: