Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:37 AM

473 posts, read 544,206 times

Advertisements

My wife an I made our decision to move to Tampa back in May. Since then we have done our research, put a plan in place and started our preparations. Our goal is to be settled in Tampa by July/August 2015 prior to our daughter stating her first year of college.

Although we are months away from starting the serious job searches or putting our house on the market, we are starting to experience "moments of panic and doubt".
  • Are we making the right decision ?
  • What if we cant find jobs ?
  • What if the house does not sell ?
  • What if the house sells but we cant find jobs ?
  • What if we find jobs but the house wont sell ?

We've worked hard all our lives and and have good jobs and a home, I don't want to give it all up and end up with nothing. Okay, that's a little dramatic, we obviously are not going to end up on the streets but hey, you never know. Actually my wife and I have very marketable skills and experience, she's in insurance and I'm in IT.

We're 100% sure of our decision to move, we're confident things will work out, we just need to get past those moments of panic and doubt.

Last edited by cjrudy; 11-16-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
No one has a crystal ball. Be prepared with savings that will carry your family a full year in the event of your worst case scenarios.

If you need equity out of your current home, obviously sell that before you move and start job hunting.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I didnt get why you are risking everything to make this move when you seem to be well established where you are?
What kind of jobs will you be looking for in Fla.and are opportunities to get these types of jobs diminished with age?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I didnt get why you are risking everything to make this move when you seem to be well established where you are?
What kind of jobs will you be looking for in Fla.and are opportunities to get these types of jobs diminished with age?
For us its about "quality of life" . All the years of gray skies, cold, rain and snow have taken there toll on us, not mention the tax burden of living in NY state.

We're both in our mid-40's, so finding new jobs will be much easier than in another 10 years.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
What is your experience of living in Florida as it would be a shame to risk it all merely because of the weather only to discover 8 months of relentless heat and humidity is equally as unpleasant as your current northern winters.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:08 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Buffalo to Tampa.... yep a definite upgrade. But it sounds like you have a pretty good life up there. Do yourself a favor and don't move here if your primary reason is weather. I'd hate to see another person regret uprooting because of perceived "paradise" only to find hell.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
My wife an I made our decision to move to Tampa back in May. Since then we have done our research, put a plan in place and started our preparations. Our goal is to be settled in Tampa by July/August 2015 prior to our daughter stating her first year of college.

Although we are months away from starting the serious job searches or putting our house on the market, we are starting to experience "moments of panic and doubt".

We've worked hard all our lives and and have good jobs and a home, I don't want to give it all up and end up with nothing. Okay, that's a little dramatic, we obviously are not going to end up on the streets but hey, you never know. Actually my wife and I have very marketable skills and experience, she's in insurance and I'm in IT.

We're 100% sure of our decision to move, we're confident things will work out, we just need to get past those moments of panic and doubt.
We left NYC 25 years ago for the same reason. Quality of Life. We were bustin butt at our jobs and both had decent career jobs. I was shaky about the future of my work as it was on its way out being replaced by newer technologies. I probably could have crossed over but that would not improve QOL. We decided to bail out.

We didnt have a house to sell, we wouldnt take any furniture with us. We flew down a couple of weeks before the planned move, rented an apartment and arranged utilities.

We came without jobs but sufficient funds to hold us over for 6 months. We found jobs within a couple of weeks. We acclimated to the weather (We came in late June) and lived life happily thereafter.

What if? Whatever it could be we knew we could overcome it. We were 30 years old and we were able to adjust to new careers and jobs. We couldnt do worse than where we were from except for the job thing but no matter where you go you will work.

Sell the house first then move.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:38 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:

50% of your "panic moments" are job related.

Get the job first and problem solved. You said you both have marketable skill. So, you should first get the job.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What is your experience of living in Florida as it would be a shame to risk it all merely because of the weather only to discover 8 months of relentless heat and humidity is equally as unpleasant as your current northern winters.
Well obviously we do not have any experience "living" in Florida, however we have traveled there extensively and experienced the great hot and humid summers. Also its not 8 months of relentless heat and humidity its May through October at best.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:53 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
For us its about "quality of life" . All the years of gray skies, cold, rain and snow have taken there toll on us, not mention the tax burden of living in NY state.

We're both in our mid-40's, so finding new jobs will be much easier than in another 10 years.
Well 5 months of insane heat and dewoints won't be a cake walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay