Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM

370 posts, read 903,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Welcome back.

Too many people gripe without providing specifics. I'm not accusing you of that, but there's no shortage of it here. So, I think it could be helpful for folks who comes across this thread later if you can provide some specifics. Knowledge is power, or so they say...
Thanks. You know, that's a good point. I expect it to start all kinds of city-data style recriminations, but you're right, it could be worth it for someone else. I'll at least qualify this by saying these are my experiences and perceptions. Many of them were and some of them still are... flawed.

Quote:
1) What were your reasons for wanting to leave back in 2007?
I agreed to leave in 2007 because I was disillusioned. My job was going down the toilet, and truthfully I was a much more angry person then and much of what I disliked about Broward/Dade was magnified out of proportion. To me at the time, south Florida was full of angry people, terrible traffic, and the spectre of unrecoverably lost employment. It may still be, but my attitude didn't help.

We had a lot of friends in Minnesota, the job market appeared to be very healthy up there and my wife talked a good game about how things would be with schools, lifestyle, etc, etc. I certainly don't blame her but in retrospect I could have been more objective. Radical change seemed to be a great option. So we sold and left. I should note that we had visited many times, both in winter and summer.

Within a year it was very, very clear that we had made horrible mistake.
Mistakes WE made
1. We bought a house.
2. We bought a house that needed way more work than we bargined for.
3. Every other comment that future posters will make.

Things we didn't plan on
4.The job market collapsed for us.
5. Our friends (two specifically) dropped off the grid when we became unemployed. We were pretty careful not to be needy or complainy or anything like that but once we couldn't afford outings, etc., we never heard back when we reached out.
6. Social transplants have a rough time up here. I don't need constant validation from others, but I've never experienced this kind of thing before. Minnesota is not the only region with this issue, but it does have it. See the MN forums for details.
5+6 = No social network.
7. Many personal failings that future posters will assume.

I attempted to make it work. I eventually got a job that split my time between Minneapolis and Chicago and eventually full time local employment. Progress on the house was made. I've always been an outside person. My wife too. You can have fun out here in the winter time too so I made the effort. I concentrated on the kid's hockey, supporting my wife's interests and working on the house. I learned how to skate. I learned how to get up off the ice with a bruised rear end.

Quote:
2) What are your reasons for wanting to return here in 2014?
After a while I realized a couple of things.
1. Cold weather isn't the end of the world, but I never really did get into winter as much as I though I would. So when winter takes up nearly 6 months out of the year, that means that a huge chunk of life is spent not doing the things I DO like to do; be in green woods, be on the water, enjoying outdoor motorsports, riding my motorcycles, etc.
2. I had no friends. I would meet people from work for things but that's as far as it went. If I never had friends before or was not self actualized to whatever degree I am I would probably have gone into depression. But that's not the case. My Facebook friend list has a total of one Minnesotan. Everyone else is from somewhere else that I've lived.

In the end, I don't expect to make soulmates out of everyone I shake hands with. But I do want to enjoy where I live even if I don't have a huge network of friends, although I'll be closer to the friends I still have in Florida and I enjoy seeing them when I visit.

I miss alligators. I miss the woods around Ocala. I miss getting beer-buzzed at the Freezer in Homosassa. I miss Daytona. I miss Sebring. I miss how when you're out in the middle of Lake Okeechobee on a hazy morning it's like sitting on a big mirror with no horizon. I miss the rain and the heat. I miss boar hunting.

In the end I'm not from here (Minnesota) and I never will be. That's no way to live, so I'm pretty stoked about my time here coming to an end.

Last edited by whatever; 12-16-2014 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 04:10 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
Thanks. You know, that's a good point. I expect it to start all kinds of city-data style recriminations, but you're right, it could be worth it for someone else. I'll at least qualify this by saying these are my experiences and perceptions. Many of them were and some of them still are... flawed.

I agreed to leave in 2007 because I was disillusioned. My job was going down the toilet, and truthfully I was a much more angry person then and much of what I disliked about Broward/Dade was magnified out of proportion. To me at the time, south Florida was full of angry people, terrible traffic, and the spectre of unrecoverably lost employment. It may still be, but my attitude didn't help.

We had a lot of friends in Minnesota, the job market appeared to be very healthy up there and my wife talked a good game about how things would be with schools, lifestyle, etc, etc. I certainly don't blame her but in retrospect I could have been more objective. Radical change seemed to be a great option. So we sold and left. I should note that we had visited many times, both in winter and summer.

Mistakes WE made
1. We bought a house.

Things we didn't plan on
5. Our friends (two specifically) dropped off the grid when we became unemployed. We were pretty careful not to be needy or complainy or anything like that but once we couldn't afford outings, etc., we never heard back when we reached out.
6. Social transplants have a rough time up here. I don't need constant validation from others, but I've never experienced this kind of thing before. Minnesota is not the only region with this issue, but it does have it. See the MN forums for details.
5+6 = No social network.

I attempted to make it work. I eventually got a job that split my time between Minneapolis and Chicago and eventually full time local employment. Progress on the house was made. I've always been an outside person. My wife too. You can have fun out here in the winter time too so I made the effort. I concentrated on the kid's hockey, supporting my wife's interests and working on the house. I learned how to skate. I learned how to get up off the ice with a bruised rear end.

1. Cold weather isn't the end of the world, but I never really did get into winter as much as I though I would. So when winter takes up nearly 6 months out of the year, that means that a huge chunk of life is spent not doing the things I DO like to do; be in green woods, be on the water, enjoying outdoor motorsports, riding my motorcycles, etc.
2. I had no friends. I would meet people from work for things but that's as far as it went. If I never had friends before or was not self actualized to whatever degree I am I would probably have gone into depression. But that's not the case. My Facebook friend list has a total of one Minnesotan. Everyone else is from somewhere else that I've lived.

In the end, I don't expect to make soulmates out of everyone I shake hands with. But I do want to enjoy where I live even if I don't have a huge network of friends, although I'll be closer to the friends I still have in Florida and I enjoy seeing them when I visit.

I miss alligators. I miss the woods around Ocala. I miss getting beer-buzzed at the Freezer in Homosassa. I miss Daytona. I miss Sebring. I miss how when you're out in the middle of Lake Okeechobee on a hazy morning it's like sitting on a big mirror with no horizon. I miss the rain and the heat. I miss boar hunting.

In the end I'm not from here (Minnesota) and I never will be. That's no way to live, so I'm pretty stoked about my time here coming to an end.

I didn't understand what was happening in this thread, until it got explained downstream. This post clears things up a lot.

First off, I want to say congratulations!!! I don't think it was a complete mistake for you. You now know for sure. Now you don't have to wonder anymore. Now you can come back and fully enjoy the great state of Florida.

I am very happy for you. I am also glad that your experience and your willingness to share it can show other people that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Actually, it shows our grass is pretty darn green right where we are.

Congrats again and best wishes with the move!

Old 12-16-2014, 05:06 PM

434 posts, read 530,925 times
This thread would have been more awesome if everyone had written "whatever" into their post somehow.

Btw, it sounds like the OP should have moved to CO, not MN.

But whatever, it's a done deal now.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:54 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
I'm susprised because they say MN is the 3rd best state to work in. Florida is ranked 33 on forbs list.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:03 AM

350 posts, read 333,560 times
Welcome HOME!!!! I LOVE TAMPA!!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Mistakes WE made
1. We bought a house.

Things we didn't plan on
5+6 = No social network.

Welcome back, Whatever. Florida is a unique state, really the most unique in the country. I highlighted some of the things you miss; and there are so many more things that people find they miss once they move. It sometimes takes a big move (or sometimes even an "almost" move) to make one realize where they really want to be. So when you come back here you will have more appreciation for it than ever before. We once almost moved to Asheville, NC, had a second home there, I was set to move. But BEFORE I EVER DID I realized the thought of it was making me sad - I love the beautiful beaches here; the tropical fauna and flora, the modern architecture, the lakes, woods, rivers - water in abundance. The beautiful weather - I don't mind heat, and the winters are awesome. Asheville was beautiful with it's mountains, but too cold for me 8 mo. out of the year, and the trees were dead for almost as long. It has it's pluses, but I never regret that we sold that house and moved to where we are now, beautiful Manatee County, near the water.

Good luck to you, I wish you all the best.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:02 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
I have changed the title to reflect what the thread is about.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:18 AM

370 posts, read 903,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
I have changed the title to reflect what the thread is about.
Actually, the title could have been more accurately entitled; "Moving back to Florida will make me happy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay