Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 PM

279 posts, read 316,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
I heard that too, but it doesn't look like anything happened.
I'm confused:

Costco Developer Requests Sign Variance | World of Westchase

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/do...ter/view/14357

Allegedly it was in the agenda for January 20th 2015. Not sure on the outcome, or if this is directly related to Costco, but this looks like recent information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 AM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
Well if it's still going in, I'm all for it. I would love to have one closer than Clearwater. I hate having to drive all the way out there to go to 1 store (although driving over the Causeway is one of my favorite things).

Old 02-01-2015, 06:49 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
First you have to pay for a membership and if you don't buy that much you are not gaining anything. It is only for people who buy large amounts. I got a free pass to visit a while ago and didn't think it was worth while, not even for our office supplies since we have places to buy them cheaper and on top of that we try to save more by scanning paperwork and using disc to store the files on, which saves way more money.

If you have a large family or business related to food it may be a saving but many franchises will have to buy through their franchise.

IMO many people spend more by visiting these types of stores.

I did notice that Turbo tax was cheaper at Costco but with the membership I have to buy it didn't make any sense for me. I had a Sam's membership card that I let expire twice and ending up with temporarily free memberships that I used to go there but the items we always liked they didn't even have them anymore.

I understand from a business perspective that changing the aisles and stuff around is helpful for the store but I agree with a different poster that it will turn other buyers off and than you have to see how much is the gain in the end.

I understand that some of the changes in the aisles are due to changes to packaging of manufacturers and therefore they either need more or less space and therefore the aisles will change but to move milk from one side to another is not making much sense to me and we all know by now they put the milk in a way you have to go through the entire store so you will se other items.

Walmart in Wesley Chapel that recently opened has the pharmacy and other related items opposite from the food and if I go to another Walmart it is closer to each other which I like better and saves me more time so often I go elsewhere instead of walking from one side to another and it is not making me buy more if that is what they hope to accomplish...it makes me avoid the store more so less gain there for the store if it has to do with me buying so in my case I spend less at Walmart and more else where.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:56 AM

422 posts, read 542,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
First you have to pay for a membership and if you don't buy that much you are not gaining anything. It is only for people who buy large amounts. I got a free pass to visit a while ago and didn't think it was worth while, not even for our office supplies since we have places to buy them cheaper and on top of that we try to save more by scanning paperwork and using disc to store the files on, which saves way more money.

If you have a large family or business related to food it may be a saving but many franchises will have to buy through their franchise.

I did notice that Turbo tax was cheaper at Costco but with the membership I have to buy it didn't make any sense for me. I had a Sam's membership card that I let expire twice and ending up with temporarily free memberships that I used to go there but the items we always liked they didn't even have them anymore.

I understand from a business perspective that changing the aisles and stuff around is helpful for the store but I agree with a different poster that it will turn other buyers off and than you have to see how much is the gain in the end.

I understand that some of the changes in the aisles are due to changes to packaging of manufacturers and therefore they either need more or less space and therefore the aisles will change but to move milk from one side to another is not making much sense to me and we all know by now they put the milk in a way you have to go through the entire store so you will se other items.

Walmart in Wesley Chapel that recently opened has the pharmacy and other related items opposite from the food and if I go to another Walmart it is closer to each other which I like better and saves me more time so often I go elsewhere instead of walking from one side to another and it is not making me buy more if that is what they hope to accomplish...it makes me avoid the store more so less gain there for the store if it has to do with me buying so in my case I spend less at Walmart and more else where.

These are just a few things that you could save money on by going to Costco. I'll just give a couple basic household examples since these are things probably everyone uses.

Our lean hamburger at my my location is a 3.59 a lb for 88-90% lean. Most places are at least a dollar more then that for 80%.

Milk is 3.15 a gallon here. Walmart is about the cheapest I've found in the area at 4 bucks a gallon.

Gas is typically 5 cents a gallon cheaper at our location against competing stations in the area.

Oh and we're all also know for our quality Kirkland Signature brand products, paying our employees a livable wage with benefits and 401k, and known for a friendly, speedy staff.

So those items right there alone probably save you your 55$ dollars a year if not more.

Does everyone need large quantities of certain items? Of course not. But I can assure you there is something for everyone at Costco to get your memberships worth

Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
First you have to pay for a membership and if you don't buy that much you are not gaining anything. It is only for people who buy large amounts.
The gold star membership is $55/year.

I saved $60 buying 3 boxes of Kirkland diapers on 1 trip (vs. buying comparable ones at Target, Wallyworld which I refuse to shop at, Babies R Us, etc). Boom. 1 year membership paid for in 1 trip. Plus, they're of a higher quality than the Hugs and Pampers we were using.

And Kirkland chicken breasts are the bomb. They grill so well.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM

605 posts, read 711,667 times
Quote:

Yeah, this is just plain wrong information. We buy our contact lenses there, and I save like $150 on that alone (just for mine, not even counting my husband's). If I went just for that, it would be worth it. Gas here is .20 cents cheaper than anywhere else. There is quite a bit more we buy there too - laundry detergent, dishwasher tablets, etc. We also buy butter there (they have good grass fed butter for a good price), frozen berries, almond butter (super price on that), coconut oil, flaxseed meal, nuts and a whole bunch of other things that are normally very expensive elsewhere. Also things like Advil or allergy medicines - super good deals on those. You do have to be a little careful not to go overboard, but we save a ton there every year. Plus, their Costco Amex gives me lots of cash back on everything I buy, everywhere. My cash back check is easily $300 - $400 each year, FAR more than the cost of the membership. And we are just a family of two....

Oh, and I totally forgot about toilet paper! They have really good toilet paper in huge packs. Who doesn't need that?

Last edited by Bellamouse; 02-01-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Yeah, this is just plain wrong information. We buy our contact lenses there, and I save like $150 on that alone (just for mine, not even counting my husband's). If I went just for that, it would be worth it. Gas here is .20 cents cheaper than anywhere else. There is quite a bit more we buy there too - laundry detergent, dishwasher tablets, etc. We also buy butter there (they have good grass fed butter for a good price), frozen berries, almond butter (super price on that), coconut oil, flaxseed meal, nuts and a whole bunch of other things that are normally very expensive elsewhere. Also things like Advil or allergy medicines - super good deals on those. You do have to be a little careful not to go overboard, but we save a ton there every year. Plus, their Costco Amex gives me lots of cash back on everything I buy, everywhere. My cash back check is easily $300 - $400 each year, FAR more than the cost of the membership. And we are just a family of two....

Oh, and I totally forgot about toilet paper! They have really good toilet paper in huge packs. Who doesn't need that?
That information was so wrong in so many fronts, didn't bother to answer. I do the same with Sam's membership and in a couple of trips I get back the $60/year membership fee. There is no comparison at all. None at all.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 AM

It's apparent that bentlebee has never been to a Costco

Old 02-05-2015, 08:27 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Where in Wesley Chapel is this (ie what is it near? I'm not familiar with roads ment. in article above...but know where 54 is and Bruce B Downs and the area with Dicks, Outback, etc near the I-75 exit. Will it be in that area?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Where in Wesley Chapel is this (ie what is it near? I'm not familiar with roads ment. in article above...but know where 54 is and Bruce B Downs and the area with Dicks, Outback, etc near the I-75 exit. Will it be in that area?
No its just west of the I-75 SR 56 exit, where 56 turns into 54.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay