Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:08 AM

734 posts, read 921,291 times

Advertisements

Fly Bar is ok. Not all that. Oh and what's right around it in terms of nightlife? Oh yeah. Nothing. Straz Center, a cemetery, and a hotel I believe.

Food Lab, Oxford Exchange, Mise en place... one tiny little strip on Kennedy on the other side of the river.

Then it looks like after than you start naming places that aren't in downtown Tampa.

So again, my point stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Fly Bar is ok. Not all that. Oh and what's right around it in terms of nightlife? Oh yeah. Nothing. Straz Center, a cemetery, and a hotel I believe.

Food Lab, Oxford Exchange, Mise en place... one tiny little strip on Kennedy on the other side of the river.

Then it looks like after than you start naming places that aren't in downtown Tampa.

So again, my point stands.
I get it, you are one of those people that no matter what I write you are going to just read whatever it is on your head anyway right?. Anise, taps, xyz lounge all downtown, let me guess "oh those are three places" , right it seemed pointless to keep listing places. I am of the opinion that the downtown area includes channel side and harbour island, I would also include ybor and Hyde park on places that you can go to since it takes probably just as long to get there as it does to get to the main road in your typical subdivision.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I get it, you are one of those people that no matter what I write you are going to just read whatever it is on your head anyway right?.
Translation: You rattled off a few downtown places, a few places that aren't in downtown, and are upset that you were called out on it.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
The only sports bars in DT Tampa that I'm aware of are Hattricks and Champions. If I were 27 and single, I'd live in SoHo and walk to most places. Everything you need over there ...

Old 01-14-2015, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 16,110 times
Thank you both. I appreciate the recommendations! Where I am is basically a small village in Suffolk, haha. I don't need a sprawling, vibrant downtown, just looking for a safe, sports-loving city where I could eventually settle down, buy a house after a few years. Thanks again and I appreciate any other feedback.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcas2162 View Post
I'm not much for clubs, I'm more into relaxed places like pubs/sports bars and wondering, what is the downtown area is like for a person such as myself in that regard?
To make a broad overgeneralization, South Tampa (around Kennedy/South Howard) is a lot of fun but has a bit more of a clubbing/frathouse vibe, whereas downtown St Pete is more "chill". Downtown Tampa is still a work in progress and I wouldn't recommend it, though it does have its fans.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I get it, you are one of those people that no matter what I write you are going to just read whatever it is on your head anyway right?
Hit the nail on the head. Anyone who Googles "Downtown Tampa bars," "Downtown Tampa restaurants," and "Downtown Tampa nightlife" will see that they aren't as familiar with downtown as they'd like people to believe they are.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Hit the nail on the head. Anyone who Googles "Downtown Tampa bars," "Downtown Tampa restaurants," and "Downtown Tampa nightlife" will see that they aren't as familiar with downtown as they'd like people to believe they are.
Anyone who googles "Downtown Tampa bars" will see that they're few and far between. I'm sorry you're so defensive about it. Kind of worrisome, actually.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:00 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Yep, my 9 yo is the same way, hopefully he can grow out of it. At any rate you know what they say about not arguing with certain people because from a distance you cant tell who is who.
To the OP if you are looking for a sports town Tampa or Florida(unless you are into college football, and in Tallahassee or Gainesville) for that matter not the way go, you figure we have a lot of transplants who dont attend games unless their hometown team is playing, the natives are for the most part not crazy about their teams unless they are winning, you have a baseball team in the Playoffs or the hunt for the better part of a decade setting low attendance records, a football team that routinely gets blacked out, we are by no means a Pittsburgh or St Louis, but we do have 3 professional teams with tickets which are for the most part affordable, we have a great weather in the winter, world class beaches, pretty much something for everybody not the best or the most of anything but there is a lot to like.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:20 PM

170 posts, read 234,046 times
Haha some of these comments are kinda funny to me

Hi! I'm a Tampa native, and relocated back home in August 2013.

Tampa is definitely an up-and-coming city. I think huge strides were made while I was gone (thank goodness).

Places to live: I recommend Channelside, Downtown Tampa, South Tampa, Westshore, Rocky Point, Seminole Heights, and Davis Island.

Nightlife/Districts

Channelside: Rapidly urbanizing. Walkable yet very little nightlife for now has a couple of bars here and there within the neighborhood.

Downtown Tampa: Slowly urbanizing. Has Anise Gastrobar (Check out smoke and mirrors party: Reminds me of LA/Miami nightlife lounge/trendy atmosphere), The Hub, Fly Bar, Paddywagon, XYZ lounge, and some of the aforementioned bars.

South Tampa: Nightlife revolves around SoHo very frattish from UT. It can be fun however, it does get old being surrounded by obnoxious underage individuals.

Westshore: Bay Street at Int'l Mall is only place noteworthy IMO, there you have Bar Louie AWESOME music on a Friday, and The Pub, plus a couple of other venues. Pretty cool, great place where "young/old" coexist.

Rocky Point: It's men there's Hogan's Beach but you have a dubstep/house/"country" vibe REALLY weird lol.

Seminole Heights: Has a BK vibe (sorta) reminds me of Greenpoint/Park Slope. The Independent, Mermaid Tavern are pretty cool. Fodder & Shine just opened EXCELLENT drinks! More lofts, independent stores/boutiques, coffee shops, feels authentic.

Wiregrass: I list wringers because it was the only "suburban" place where you have Primebar. The area feels sterile to me as a twenty-something however, I do like the set-up.

Ybor City: Highest concentration of bars/clubs in the area. Best nightlife IMO if you want to party hard, and actually bar hop. Has an obnoxious element, at times however it is still a fun part of town reminds me of French Quarter in NOLA

DTSP/Grand Central/Uptown: Fun if you want eclectic, and vibrant. More laid-back than Tampa slightly older demographic.

Definitely visit the area for a couple of days. There's something for everyone in this part of the state which I love you have the best of both worlds (somewhat city/yet suburban). I just wish there was more of a city vibe plus better transportation. I'm glad to be back however, I don't think I'll settle here but who knows :-)

GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay