Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

So, I've never been a huge beach person, however, while on honeymoon in Mexico recently, I had an experience that could possibly change all that. We took a super cheap shuttle over to the beach town (Costa Maya) from our cruise, and once there, we found an opportunity to get 2 of us to eat and several drinks for around $20. But not only that, we were literally sitting out with our toes in the sand less than 50 feet from the water. There was a shaded canopy that they had created for guests, and during our time there they also offered free kayak and bicycle rentals.

It sounds like something that's too good to be true, but we did find that there. Obviously, I don't think were going to find anywhere stateside with those kinds of prices, but, does a remotely similar experience exist at any restaurant along the Gulf Beaches? Of course, I know it's possible to recreate that experience within reason with a portable grill, well placed umbrellas, and a beach that permits alcohol, but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I do know that DeSoto National Memorial offers free kayaking every Saturday (at least during the warm weather months) at 9:30 AM, but I wasn't sure if there were any other offers like that. I am aware of things like the water bicycle in Tampa ($30 pp/hr.) and Jetpack Rides at Tradewinds ($99 if you stay there I believe), and (sort of unrelated) ATV rentals coming in somewhere around $350 for a two person experience. That is something that would be a very expensive proposition. So if anyone else knows of relative deals on that type of stuff, I would be all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
I lived in Mexico for 5 years. No, you won't find that sort of deal here. Not even close.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:47 AM

I'm certain I won't find any deal like that (with the exception of possibly free kayak rentals at DeSoto National Memorial, which we all fund as taxpayers, and potentially free kayak rental through my employer, USF St. Pete).

I was just wondering if there were any restaurants that had seating that close to the water like that, or other creature comforts, OR whether alcohol/other creature comforts were allowed to be brought onto certain area beaches.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
There are several down here in Manatee County. Beach House, Sand Bar, Gulf Drive Cafe to name a few. Prices will be considerably higher than Mexico of course, but all of these are reasonably priced.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:02 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,089 times
Bongos at Grand Plaza Hotel on St Pete Beach has at least ten tables (with umbrellas) that are actually in the sand, although St Pete Beach is pretty wide, so you'll still be probably a couple hundred feet from the water.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:24 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
I like Frenchy's Rockaway in Clearwater but, like everything else, you will have to increase your mexico budget.

Through USF, I'm pretty sure you can signup for their canoe/kayaks for free at the Hillsborough river site near Lettuce Lake Park.
I know it's not sand but Rick's marina on the Hillsborough river off Columbus has been one of my favorites to chill and relax waterside with decent food/drinks under a patio umbrella

Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 PM

185 posts, read 170,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
I like Frenchy's Rockaway in Clearwater but, like everything else, you will have to increase your mexico budget.
Also the Palm Pavillion just on the other side of the parking lot from Frenchy's.

Clearwater Beach Restaurant-Palm Pavilion

Old 01-29-2016, 03:03 AM

Those all sound good, I will look into each of them! Thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay