Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,809 times

Advertisements

I'm 23. My family is from Metro Detroit and when I was 16 we moved down to Tampa. We bought a nice house for a good price in what was a nice suburban subdivision. Heritage Isles in Cross Creek (between Benito Middle School and Morris Bridge Rd). I graduated from Wharton, which is a crappy school (mostly because of kids who don't live in the area and get bussed in from Fletcher, Fowler etc.) but the area was nice upper middle class people.

I moved away for college and lived in the Northeast till recently, I moved back home to take care of my parents who are having some health issues. Now I come back and this nice McMansion suburb is ruined! Our block is basically now where Central America meets Beirut, both in feel and demographics! One house across the street has the cops there twice a week and the family fighting in the streets, two houses on our block have seemingly at least 4 families living in them (no habla ingles) and ladies in burkas (not the headscarf but everything except the eyes covered) going for evening walks. I can't even sit by the pool anymore without hearing the background noise of Spanish radio and domestic violence. The two apartment complexes adjacent to us are section 8 ghettoes (Andover/Addison Place and Heritage Palms) and walking through there you could be on Woodward and 7 mile in Detroit!! All you smell is pot, all you hear is rap music etc. the shell station is scary and is basically a hang out for the next generation of America's prison population. I got offered oxycodone by a teenage girl at the library (she asked me for a cigarette, I decline and then she offered me "blues").

Listen, I can see this in Detroit, Chicago, Brooklyn, even Fletcher Ave by MLK, but in suburbia? What happened? I feel bad for my parents, they do not wanna move and have been white flighting their whole lives (like every other Detroit resident that isn't in a gang) and just wanted to enjoy their suburban retirement but this isn't what we signed up for. I had a conversation with someone who said that the area around 56/Busch and down into Temple Terrace used to be like New Tampa and now the hood rats have ruined it, it's sad really.

Where can we escape this madness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Son 8738 View Post
Where can we escape this madness?
Maybe a gated community....MAYBE...Enlist an RE.

With so many low lives moving here, this is quite expected. Florida was always a catch all, and we unfortunately have a lot of people "naming" places to live on popular message boards, not just this one, so the undesirables infiltrate and multiply.

Just the other day by my Publix there was a family with a child sitting on a curb begging for money endangering that child. Also around can be seen a few homeless people which were never the case by where we live.

People posting on forums forget that the internet in libraries is free, and a lot of people still steal computers too and wifi!

Old 02-06-2015, 08:52 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Son 8738 View Post
in suburbia? What happened?
The people who run this country have decided that urban living is cool, mostly because they grew up watching television shows featuring people who live glamorously in New York City. After moving into the cities, they began to notice why everybody had fled the cities in the first place. So, to make their new urban digs more palatable, they have started shipping the undesirables out of cities into the suburbs. They got their academic flunkies to produce research "proving" that concentrations of poverty cause dysfunction (it makes a lot more sense to believe that dysfunction causes poverty, but that line of thinking isn't useful to these people). Once this fact was "proven", it was a simple matter to promote Section 8.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The people who run this country have decided that urban living is cool, mostly because they grew up watching television shows featuring people who live glamorously in New York City. After moving into the cities, they began to notice why everybody had fled the cities in the first place. So, to make their new urban digs more palatable, they have started shipping the undesirables out of cities into the suburbs. They got their academic flunkies to produce research "proving" that concentrations of poverty cause dysfunction (it makes a lot more sense to believe that dysfunction causes poverty, but that line of thinking isn't useful to these people). Once this fact was "proven", it was a simple matter to promote Section 8.
Which is of course shameful; but with shameless politicians it's no surprise really....

Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
If u are a low life living else where it is pretty hard to get the funds together to make a move. They just dont have the financial backing to survive where they are AND try to scrape the $ together for things like a moving truck, 1st and last months rent plus security deposit, deposits on utilities, etc.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If u are a low life living else where it is pretty hard to get the funds together to make a move. They just dont have the financial backing to survive where they are AND try to scrape the $ together for things like a moving truck, 1st and last months rent plus security deposit, deposits on utilities, etc.
Sadly, a lot of people "just move", without a job or relatives to bunk up with and when the "job search" goes further "south", they end up in section 8! Or worst, in the streets! I am seeing an increase in homeless people and that is rather concerning!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Sadly, a lot of people "just move", without a job or relatives to bunk up with and when the "job search" goes further "south", they end up in section 8! Or worst, in the streets! I am seeing an increase in homeless people and that is rather concerning!
Yes, there has been an increase of homeless people and families throughout our nation. Low wages, lack of jobs in the U.S. Then we must consider the working poor. In 2012, there were 46.5 million people in poverty up from 37.3 million in 2007.

Some of you do not understand what Section 8 housing is. It is not a "sign up for free housing" program.
There are rules that if not followed get families tossed out of the program. Section 8 is not about ghettos.

Section 8 Housing Eligibility

Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Yes, there has been an increase of homeless people and families throughout our nation. Low wages, lack of jobs in the U.S. Then we must consider the working poor. In 2012, there were 46.5 million people in poverty up from 37.3 million in 2007.

Some of you do not understand what Section 8 housing is. It is not a "sign up for free housing" program.
There are rules that if not followed get families tossed out of the program. Section 8 is not about ghettos.

Section 8 Housing Eligibility
Ive seen the people that live in section 8 housing. For the most part Id say no good. Sure there are exceptions to the rule. But for the most part you wouldn't want to live anywhere near them!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Ive seen the people that live in section 8 housing. For the most part Id say no good. Sure there are exceptions to the rule. But for the most part you wouldn't want to live anywhere near them!!!!!!
Being in Section 8 housing means you're poor. Not a bad person.

Ive seen people in million dollar homes that I wouldnt want to befriend.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Being in Section 8 housing means you're poor. Not a bad person.

Ive seen people in million dollar homes that I wouldnt want to befriend.
Sure. However show me one section 8 community that once they are in there doesn't go down the toilet. Fact is most in section 8 could care less about the community or the property they live in. Yes there are exceptions but they are more the rule. To say otherwise you are burying your head in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay