Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Anyone in Tampa Bay who has also lived in New Orleans?

The reason I ask this is I've always been attracted to New Orleans because of the architecture and walkability among other reasons. St. Pete seems to be the one city in Florida that people mention as being a walkable Florida city. Walkable and basically having walkable neighborhoods would be a major criteria for me, so it has that, it's already good.

If someone else has lived in New Orleans, could you tell me some of the positives and things you much prefer about St. Pete/Tampa Bay area...maybe based on people, or any other factors you might think of, that makes you prefer one or the other more?

I'd put this on city vs city, but I'm quite interested to hear locals perspectives in the Tampa Bay area who are familiar with New Orleans specifically comparing the two.

I'm also curious on a Tampa Bay perspective of New Orleans as a complete and total city and not just the tourist area only of the French Quarter there. But people who'd be familiar with all aspects of the city, beyond just the experience of being a tourist in the French Quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 PM

56 posts, read 82,160 times
Ive lived on the coast of Mississippi and worked in NO..theres only one New Orleans. It's walkable, its atsy, it's full of culture and life, its business, its ghetto, its high end, its classy, its trashy, its beer and its wine..it's everything in one place. Ive found you either love New Orleans with all your heart or you hate it. I love it! It wasnt in the cards for me to live there but I have friends who do and I visit every chance I get

Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,570 times
While downtown St. Pete is pretty walkable...it doesn't compare to New Orleans where there is so much density in a downtown area. The living areas just aren't mixed into the "walkable" areas like in New Orleans. It's more walkable once you are in downtown St. Pete, if that makes sense.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,286 times
Never lived in New Orleans, but I could tell from a three day visit that you will never get that experience anywhere in Florida. The closest you'll get would probably be Ybor and even that is a distant stretch.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
While downtown St. Pete is pretty walkable...it doesn't compare to New Orleans where there is so much density in a downtown area. The living areas just aren't mixed into the "walkable" areas like in New Orleans. It's more walkable once you are in downtown St. Pete, if that makes sense.
Yes, it does make sense! Thats the kind of info I was looking for!

I've been google mapping St. Pete, and much of it looks like large lots on wide streets! It does seem more walkable downtown and in the Old Northeast, but they seem like the exceptions. I am seeing stores on the major wide streets, but more the kind that you'd drive to, as opposed to walk to.

DOn't get me wrong, I quite like St. Pete, and am finding a lot of appealing things about it. But, it does seem that the 'walkability' that people attach to it, seems very relative to FLORIDA, and not necessary a reflection of being thought of as walkable when you compare it to real walkable cities.

Or so it seems. Still trying to figure it out, but your post was helpful.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Never lived in New Orleans, but I could tell from a three day visit that you will never get that experience anywhere in Florida. The closest you'll get would probably be Ybor and even that is a distant stretch.
More good info! I did visit Ybor, and it seemed VERY SMALL, and not very extensive. I mean, its a cool LITTLE neighborhood though, but would barely account for a 1% of New Orleans urbanity.

From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like St. Pete would fare much better.

It's not my only criteria by any means, but good to know nonetheless.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:06 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
More good info! I did visit Ybor, and it seemed VERY SMALL, and not very extensive. I mean, its a cool LITTLE neighborhood though, but would barely account for a 1% of New Orleans urbanity.

From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like St. Pete would fare much better.

It's not my only criteria by any means, but good to know nonetheless.
Like I said, VERY DISTANT. Ybor was built to be nothing more than a cigar shop. When Ybor realized that the Cubans he brought with him would work for a month and then go back home to their families, he built the shotgun style houses you see surrounding Ybor and sold them at cost. Now the Cuban workers could bring their families and continue working. Now that the city had a population, things like stores and clubs were needed. I imagine Ybor was a lot more extensive when the streetcars went further. Not so anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: