Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 3,939 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have read the forums for purposes over the years but never posted or joined.

My question and dilemma today revolves around FEMA flood zones. Home flood insurance rates continue to sky-rocket, and I finally took it upon myself to do just a tiny bit of research. My home is in the Tyrone Area, and the source of flooding in that area is "Miles Creek". I had never heard of such a creek before, but I have lived in this area for over 14 years, including through the few tropical storms in the mid 2000's, and never even been CLOSE to flooding.

I yesterday sent FEMA my LOMC (letter of Map Change), in an effort to get them to either remove my home from the flood zone or at least explain why it is in there. This home was not in the flood zone 14 years ago! My biggest problem is that I do not believe FEMA will provide me with an official report or documentation of how my house was classified as being in a flood zone.

I did not send any real official documents in my request (such as a elevation certificate, because I could not find one publicly available), but I am assuming they will eventually ask. It shocks me that the burden of proof lies upon those whom the regulators instill their regulations upon. I highly doubt FEMA took time to survey every single home in this area to make sure it was in a flood zone. Rather, they leave it up to the homeowners to do this. I believe many homes in my area are probably not prone to floods, and yet FEMA makes what I assume is a (flawed) mathematical estimation that they are. I am not a geologist, I dont know if my home is prone to flooding, but I dont think FEMA is certain either, and that's what bothers me the most.

In any event, I was curious if anyone else on this forum has challeneged their Flood Zone with FEMA, and if so, have you met any success?

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,829 times
What flood zone are you? What's your BFE? I don't seem to find miles creek. Are you referring to six miles creek?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
I considered it, but the cost estimates for surveys, etc. were pretty high. Our property (Gulfport) is literally 95% in Zone X with 5% in Zone AE, but we have to pay AE rates because that what FEMA requires. We have an elevation certificate that modifies the premium to just under $1000 a year, but if it were all in Zone X it'd be about $300 a year.

If further changes raise our premium we may decide to fight them, but not yet.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Old 02-07-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
What flood zone are you? What's your BFE? I don't seem to find miles creek. Are you referring to six miles creek?

Flood zone ae and the basin is "h" according to st Pete flood management. Miles creek is a tributary of joes creek and is at around 42nd Ave n and 70th street. I looked all over for my bfe, including femas interactive map, and couldn't find it at all! That's why I am waiting for their reply hopefully they'll tell me at least what they expect of me

Old 02-07-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I considered it, but the cost estimates for surveys, etc. were pretty high. Our property (Gulfport) is literally 95% in Zone X with 5% in Zone AE, but we have to pay AE rates because that what FEMA requires. We have an elevation certificate that modifies the premium to just under $1000 a year, but if it were all in Zone X it'd be about $300 a year.

If further changes raise our premium we may decide to fight them, but not yet.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!
Thanks! Would be nice to get it knocked down even a little bit I guess. I feel there are many people out there who just accept the flood zone and don't challenge it when maybe they should, particularly new buyers and young people who sometimes think "this is just the way it is"

Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnullH View Post
Flood zone ae and the basin is "h" according to st Pete flood management. Miles creek is a tributary of joes creek and is at around 42nd Ave n and 70th street. I looked all over for my bfe, including femas interactive map, and couldn't find it at all! That's why I am waiting for their reply hopefully they'll tell me at least what they expect of me
Not having BFE could be one problem in getting a "fair" quote. The premiums are based on BFE.

I found the following map that shows they already established the map and some proposed flood designations changes (see the map link for Tyrone area)

Maps

Old 02-07-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Not having BFE could be one problem in getting a "fair" quote. The premiums are based on BFE.

I found the following map that shows they already established the map and some proposed flood designations changes (see the map link for Tyrone area)

Maps
Thank you,

I believe my home is RIGHT on the edge of the flood zone map, see below :

Battling FEMA-home-flood-zone-map.png

So with that, I am surprised I can't find my BFE, since it apparently claims that the BFE has been calculated...

Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
You have to be careful about reading the maps, as they are NOT updated by FEMA if a BFE is issued.

The home I live in actually straddles "X" and "AE" zones according to the current FEMA map. However, when the property was built, the area was built up with fill and a "seawall" was installed across the back of the property, effectively raising the level of the land 12 feet, placing it above the the existing flood zone.

While this comes out if you research it, and my insurer and title company were aware of it, looking at the current FEMA flood maps does not reveal the presence of the BFE or the change in elevation due to the fill. This was done in 1997 and the current flood zone map is dated 2008.

I inquired about this with the County's planning department, and they informed me that FEMA does not typically update flood zone maps. However, if a BFE is filed and granted, references are made to it based on the property address.

Confused? I was.

I have an FOIA request in to FEMA to gather all the relevant information regarding the BFE that was entered into record for my property, just so I have it handy should I ever need it. It's been since June of last year when I filed it, and other than acknowledging the receipt, I've heard nothing from them.

Guess I need to rattle their cage.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay