Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Got a job offer in Tampa...$58k + great benefits. The problem? It's in Downtown Tampa where parking is basically non-existent. Lots that are close either cost a fortune for a monthly pass or have a waiting list. What an unfortunate thing that this area has such an unwelcoming environment (terrible parking situation) for employees. I thought the politicians wanted to do things that HELP create jobs.

Anyway, the best deal I could find was a city lot for $19 a month, but it's about a half mile walk one-way from the job. That adds to the overall commute time and will be a mess during rainy season. But here's the kicker.

I actually already work in downtown Tampa and the current employer has a parking garage right across the street that we pay $38 a month for. The new job only pays a little more than the current job (10%) and the benefits are very similar. So what do I do?

It would be an embarrassment for me to turn down the offer because of a stupid reason like parking. But it's really an issue and is bugging me the more I think about it. The interviewer spent valuable time on my application and I would feel really bad about declining it, but that's the way I'm leaning at this point.

Advice?
If your new salary is 58k , a 10% raise means your current salary is about 52.7k with a increase of 5.2k after taxes to I are probably looking at 4k net, at any rate even at 70 a month you are still 3k ahead, so all things being equal you should take the job, may be you are projecting other fears about taking a new job into this one issue that shouldn't be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
They don't do that for any of their other employees (I've already talked to one other person who works there). In fact, the (future) director and I already talked about it and she basically said employees are on their own for parking. This job offer is the kind of thing where there's probably 10 other well-qualified applicants right behind me. In this career, there's basically no room for negotiating. Getting a job offer is pretty much a miracle. I'm going to have to think hard about it and promised them a decision this Monday. This is nerve-wrecking and potentially embarrassing on my part.

I guess you have to decide if parking is more important than a potential advancement in your career.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:37 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
I like the current job a lot. Lots of positive feedback from them and they've been very supportive about me wanting to promote inside or out. I just thought with a master's degree and two certifications, this could have been a better paying career overall.

Almost every lot has a wait list. There's one by the ice palace that has availability for $37 a month, but it's not much closer than the $19 place. The employee at the new job I talked to forks over $64 a month, but that garage is closer, yet it has a wait list right now. What a bummer this whole parking thing is. To me, something as silly and stupid as parking of all things should just be free already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
If your new salary is 58k , a 10% raise means your current salary is about 52.7k with a increase of 5.2k after taxes to I are probably looking at 4k net, at any rate even at 70 a month you are still 3k ahead, so all things being equal you should take the job, may be you are projecting other fears about taking a new job into this one issue that shouldn't be one.
There are other things to consider besides the extra money. The OP said he likes his current position and hasn't given any indication if he'll be a good fit with his new employer. 10% sounds like a lot, but he could be trading a sweet gig for a toxic work environment. I'm not saying this is the case, but sometimes there is more to consider besides a relatively small bump in pay. If the OP gave more info it would be helpful.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:21 AM

369 posts, read 844,120 times
You can write off the parking fee's on your taxes too, right?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
There are other things to consider besides the extra money. The OP said he likes his current position and hasn't given any indication if he'll be a good fit with his new employer. 10% sounds like a lot, but he could be trading a sweet gig for a toxic work environment. I'm not saying this is the case, but sometimes there is more to consider besides a relatively small bump in pay. If the OP gave more info it would be helpful.
My point is all things being equal if he is basing his decision on parking fees, he should still take the job.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:41 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I'd walk the half mile. It rains all day just about every day in Portland and Seattle. Plus there are high winds many days with the rains. You should see how far people there, walk and ride bikes to get to work. I had to do it myself for a number of years. Parking cost in the downtowns is a big part of the reason, all these people walk and ride bikes. I don't know about you OP, but it is noticeable many in the Southeast will not walk anywhere. I don't think it is just the heat, humidity, or a lack of sidewalks in certain areas that is the complete reason for this.

Really a half mile to walk in downtowns because of parking problems/cost, is very common in many large cities in this country.

Just get a good umbrella.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:55 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepizza View Post
You can write off the parking fee's on your taxes too, right?
If self-employed, yes; for employees, no.

My career was in DC-Metro where parking costs are very high. Parking, access to Metro, Metro subsidies from employer....they were all factors for job seekers there.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:57 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I agree with everyone else: Take the job and invest in good rainy weather attire-jacket, good umbrella, shoes, etc. I lived in FL for 33 years. It's not everyday that it rains and if it does it's not for more than a few mins. Good workout and more money-nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 AM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
Looks like I'm in the minority here....

I personally wouldn't bother leaving a job for a 10% increase if I were happy with my current employer, PROVIDED advancement was part of the plan at the current job. If there were no advancement/promotion/whatever in sight, then yeah I suppose I'd find a new job. That doesn't seem to be the case, here, though. My personal situation may bias me; I'm used to 10-15% annual increases. Regardless of the money, the OP said that the job offer was a "miracle" because his field is inundated with qualified applicants. So, he leaves a job he's happy with, with the possibility of ending up unhappy at the new job and then what? It wouldn't be worth the risk to me unless the pay was substantially higher and the benefits were equal or better.

I realize the question appears to be if it's ridiculous to turn down an offer due to parking alone, but I don't think that's the only thing holding him back. If parking is truly the only thing stopping you, OP, then you should take the job and make the parking situation work.

Last edited by druthb00; 03-15-2015 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 10:35 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Looks like I'm in the minority here....

I personally wouldn't bother leaving a job for a 10% increase if I were happy with my current employer, PROVIDED advancement was part of the plan at the current job. If there were no advancement/promotion/whatever in sight, then yeah I suppose I'd find a new job. That doesn't seem to be the case, here, though. My personal situation may bias me; I'm used to 10-15% annual increases. Regardless of the money, the OP said that the job offer was a "miracle" because his field is inundated with qualified applicants. So, he leaves a job he's happy with, with the possibility of ending up unhappy at the new job and then what? It wouldn't be worth the risk to me unless the pay was substantially higher and the benefits were equal or better.

I realize the question appears to be if it's ridiculous to turn down an offer due to parking alone, but I don't think that's the only thing holding him back. If parking is truly the only thing stopping you, OP, then you should take the job and make the parking situation work.
Also for 10% dose you medical go up or is it better at the new job. And what are the other bennifts at the new job better or the same. That 10% can be wiped out if you have to pay more for medical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: