Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 PM

9 posts, read 10,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
You could survive on $30,000 a year here (assuming it's just you) but your not going to live super comfortably. Your not going to find any place for $400 a month. Realistically, expect to pay at least double that.

My daughter lives in a half way decent one bedroom apartment & pays $730 a month for rent. Rent includes water but not electric. It's not a great area but it's not the hood. It not the kind of place where you would want to take an evening stroll alone but there's not drive by shootings happening or anything that extreme.

Hope that helps some. Good luck.
That's what I'm looking for! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgoer44 View Post
I currently live in the Midwest and will be exiting myself soon. The thought of being stuck here is depressing, and I am fortunate to have options.

To the OP, like most have told you, it is probably a good idea to live closer to where you work, if that is possible! Good luck!
Thanks, Good Luck to you as well! It's hard to leave family, but I'm ready for a change..lol

Old 04-24-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I just moved to Florida and I live in Lakeland. Which is just east of Tampa. I bought a home because I didn't think, that rents were really all that inexpensive down here. At least in area's I'd feel safe in. Remember you can get lower rents but only you can decide, if you would want to live in some of these areas of Greater Tampa. I find after housing not much of anything else is really cheaper. In fact in many ways it's more expensive.

Car insurance is very expensive here, as is any kind of insurance for that matter. I have a perfect score for getting car insurance, and I nearly fell on the floor when I was given my quote from Allstate. The same policy I had in Arizona went up almost $200 per 6 month policy here in Florida. I say things like it is. You can blame all the trash, that drives on the roads here for this type of ripoff. Severe amount of car accidents here as well as thefts. Registering a car is quite expensive here, at least for the first year. I paid $400 to register my Ford Focus. That was to transfer registration from out of state to Florida. Utilities are costlier. The Electric companies here seem to charge a higher useage rate. At least the one I have Lakeland Electric. They want big deposits, and don't seem to care if you have good credit from previous electric companies. Cable TV, internet. I don't know about Tampa itself, but I am forced to use a company called Brighthouse. I am paying almost $50.00 a month more, for the same service I had with Cox Cable before moving to Florida. I ended up having to get a bundle package, phone, internet and cable to get the price down somewhat. I generally don't get a landline phone, here I have one. I don't know if Cox and Comcast are in Florida, but they don't seem to be in the Tampa area. Brighthouse seems to dominate, although I think some area's have Verizon.

Otherwise Florida is nice to live in, but the initial cost seems high when getting settled in I guess over time you just get use to the cost. It's like anything there is an adjustment period, and you just go with it. What I gave you is an actual accurate cost of expenses, that I incurred moving here on March 1st. Thankfully I like it here, but I don't think it's all that cheap here. Buying a house is cheaper for many of us, but not much else.

Best of Luck
Thanks for the honest answer. I'm really trying to find a place where some of those utilities are included that don't break the bank. Most of them either are sublease situations or cause almost 3000.00 a month. All I can do is pray and research

Old 04-25-2015, 07:54 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladsed View Post
Thanks for the honest answer. I'm really trying to find a place where some of those utilities are included that don't break the bank. Most of them either are sublease situations or cause almost 3000.00 a month. All I can do is pray and research

I hope you will find something that is affordable for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay