Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 16,933 times

Advertisements

Hey all, this is my first post as i was recently offered a job in tampa and in my reaserch of the area stumbled upon this very informative forum. enough mumble tho heres the deal.

im a 24 yo male who is single and from toronto,canada. i am very outgoing and love to party. might as well do it well i can. i would be moving there with my moms boyfriend and we will probably lookin 4 a nice 2bdrm apt.

we would like to be close to the beach but i DO NOT want to be surrounded by old ppl. i understand its florida and there will be old ppl but i am lookin 4 a nice mix of some young ppl too.

my questions are do u think that i will fit in down in tampa/clearwater area?
where would be the best place to look 4 apts?

also i kno this is probably a crazy question but i was wondering if the interest in young ppl playing hockey has grown with the recent success of the tampa bay lightning? the reason i ask is because i teach hockey school 4 kids up here and was thinkin of maybe opening a school down there once i was setteled in. any answrs help or suggestions would be GREATLY helpful.

Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM

367 posts, read 1,688,080 times
Have you got a visa for this job?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Im allowed to move there as long as i have a corporate company sponsor me. which i do. all i have to do is fill out the paperwork and i am able to get a work visa.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:05 PM

57 posts, read 190,665 times
As far as I know, there's no beach in downtown Tampa. But there are plenty of places to party. The closer to the beach you get, the more laid back it becomes. There are still bars and such, but no clubs close to the beach that I'm aware of. I would think Tampa and St. Pete are both fun areas for young people. I'm out of the party stage so I can't say first hand (having a kid kind of does that to you ... unless you're Brit Brit of course! But most of my childless friends like it here and find plenty to do.

I know nothing about hockey though. I'd try looking in the yellow pages online or googling hockey schools and see what's out there. It's very possible that if you build one, they will come!

Old 01-26-2008, 07:13 PM

849 posts, read 3,529,308 times
Default beaches ar off of

St. Pete. I think some are very laid back but some have some sort of night life, what do I know? I'm old But to answer your hockey question, yes there are leagues for you. I went to a skating party a year ago december at the Llightening training facility in Brandon. there are two rinks and I know there were amateur leagues that played there. jut google hockey in Tampa.
There's also an ice rink in Oldsmar don't know about hockey tho, which is closer to Clearwater and not too far from Dunedin which some of the younger folk are saying is fun. You'd have beaches and hockey.
No no beaches anywhere NEAR Tampa. They're at least 45 min-hr. depending on traffic and which one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolli97 View Post
Im allowed to move there as long as i have a corporate company sponsor me. which i do. all i have to do is fill out the paperwork and i am able to get a work visa.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 AM

Thx for the info. Cant think of anything better then hockey and beaches, its like heaven to a good ol canadian boy. Is there any areas in clearwater we should avoid moving to. like too much crime? or all old retirees? price really isnt a problem as we both will be makin fairly good money.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 AM

35 posts, read 195,620 times
Talking old ppl

Sweetheart,

I think it would be hilarious if you would print this out, put it in a time capsule or give it to your Mom to keep for you. Read it in about 30 years and you will have a good chuckle about the old ppl comments LOL. I understand you are young so I'm not getting on you for it. I got a good laugh out of the way you worded it. I was young once ya know.

:-)

Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 AM

Lol glad i could give u a good chuckle on a monday morning!! no disrespect to the old ppl tho.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,764,496 times
>>also i kno this is probably a crazy question but i was wondering if the interest in young ppl playing hockey has grown with the recent success of the tampa bay lightning? the reason i ask is because i teach hockey school 4 kids up here and was thinkin of maybe opening a school down there once i was setteled in. any answrs help or suggestions would be GREATLY helpful.<<

There is a huge interest. Contact the ice sports forum in Brandon or the Ellenton Ice Rink. There's also a rink in Oldsmar and another one over that way but I forget the name.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 AM

849 posts, read 3,529,308 times
Default I understand

you about the old folks, I'm one of them but toss out the pictures of ancients playing shuffleboard in their short and dress shoes with white socks You will see those folks, The US is an aging society but most of the older folks here are very active and look great. I for example ride horseback. My chiropractor's father is a triathlete and DOES play hockey. He's gotta be 60 or very close.
We don't tend to go into your clubs and bars tho' so you'll have your social scene to yourself. Unless you think it's ok to BLAST your stereo at any hour, you'll have no problem living near us. Most towns have noise restrictions that prohibit that even in the day time anyway.

There are areas to avoid for crime in Clearwater but some nice areas too, maybe someone else on this forum can clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolli97 View Post
Thx for the info. Cant think of anything better then hockey and beaches, its like heaven to a good ol canadian boy. Is there any areas in clearwater we should avoid moving to. like too much crime? or all old retirees? price really isnt a problem as we both will be makin fairly good money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay