Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 PM

192 posts, read 1,165,061 times

Advertisements

Well, we're only a week away from decision day on Amemdment One......as for myself I'll be voting tomorrow at the library. And I'll be voting an emphatic "Yes." Much has been said on both sides but I think it's a large step in the right direction -- lowering property taxes with the doubling of the homestead exemption. And making the Save Our Homes Amemdment portable is very pertinent to my situation. Not as much relief as some of us hoped for perhaps, but at least it's getting the ball rolling.

I'd really enjoy reading the thoughts of some of you folks on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
Well, we're only a week away from decision day on Amemdment One......as for myself I'll be voting tomorrow at the library. And I'll be voting an emphatic "Yes." Much has been said on both sides but I think it's a large step in the right direction -- lowering property taxes with the doubling of the homestead exemption. And making the Save Our Homes Amemdment portable is very pertinent to my situation. Not as much relief as some of us hoped for perhaps, but at least it's getting the ball rolling.

I'd really enjoy reading the thoughts of some of you folks on this forum.
Hi tony..although it is a step in the right direction, I just think they should go back an offer us more, so Im going with a "No" on this one. Even though I bought my house 8 years ago, and my taxes are reletively low, I feel for the others(like my Mom) who are paying large tax bills, and will only save a few hundred bucks,there should be more to offer them, also the new residents moving here as well, property taxes just are out of control and to only offer 50k homestead exemption is a little low in my opinion...the portability aspect I like, but if this fails, they MUST go back and offer something else. Just my thoughts, cant wait to read rebuttle!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 PM

39 posts, read 174,801 times
Default Vote YES!

I think we should take the additional 50k deduction now and then demand more later. This prop will also hopefully kick start some home sales... Many potential buyers are waiting to see what happens next week before making any decisions. Vote YES now and then write (or email) Crist and the others to let them know you voted yes but are expecting more tax relief. Just my opinion

Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDerby View Post
I think we should take the additional 50k deduction now and then demand more later. This prop will also hopefully kick start some home sales... Many potential buyers are waiting to see what happens next week before making any decisions. Vote YES now and then write (or email) Crist and the others to let them know you voted yes but are expecting more tax relief. Just my opinion
I've been told they are not obligated to do something if it passes, BUT if it doesnt pass, then they MUST do something fpr the November election time.
Im not sure how long we can wait until they look at this topic again in Tallahassee if it passes.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:49 PM

39 posts, read 174,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
I've been told they are not obligated to do something if it passes, BUT if it doesnt pass, then they MUST do something fpr the November election time.
Im not sure how long we can wait until they look at this topic again in Tallahassee if it passes.
Hi Tampaguy, I have just spent some time trying to verify what you heard but I can't find anything. It does sound familiar though. I did find some info at vote smart florida Vote Smart Florida. This site says that if 60% of the voters vote Yes for amendment 1 then it will be retro active for Jan 1 2008. Then it mentions the November election and the relief being for Jan 1 2009.. this kind of fits in with what you were saying but it is clear as mud at this website... if anyone can post an article that describes what will happen if the amendment doesn't pass that would be a big help.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDerby View Post
Hi Tampaguy, I have just spent some time trying to verify what you heard but I can't find anything. It does sound familiar though. I did find some info at vote smart florida Vote Smart Florida. This site says that if 60% of the voters vote Yes for amendment 1 then it will be retro active for Jan 1 2008. Then it mentions the November election and the relief being for Jan 1 2009.. this kind of fits in with what you were saying but it is clear as mud at this website... if anyone can post an article that describes what will happen if the amendment doesn't pass that would be a big help.
Q&A: What happens if we voters say 'no' on Jan. 29?

> Posted by John Dahlburg at 10:50 AM
Q: What happens if we taxpayers do not approve this amendment? Will there be no further action or is there another way to get meaningful reform? This piece of legislation does not go far enough, nor does it address the real issue, which is local government overspending on administrative costs. Reform is definitely needed, but I don't believe this amendment is the answer.

---D. W.

A: The amendment must pass by a 60 percent margin to become part of the state constitution --- and many state leaders have voiced concern that it might not win approval, especially if there is low voter turnout on Jan. 29.

If it does not pass, other options are already in the works.

The Florida Taxation and Budget Reform Commission is currently meeting to decide whether it wants to put any amendments on the November 2008 general election ballot.

One proposal being considered by the commission would eliminate most school property taxes (which comprise about 40 percent of the average property tax bill) and replace the lost revenue by expanding the state sales tax to services and goods that are now exempt, such as accounting and legal services.

There is also a citizen petition drive led by Cut Property Taxes Now, Inc., which is collecting voter signatures to get an amendment on the November 2008 ballot that would cap property taxes at 1.35 percent of value.

Lastly, the Legislature convenes on Tuesday, March 4, in its regular 60-day session. At that time, lawmakers could consider putting another amendment on the November ballot.

As for local government overspending, the Legislature last summer met in special session to pass legislation mandating that most cities and counties roll back their spending between 3 percent and 9 percent. Those reductions should have been reflected on the property tax bill you received last fall unless local government officials voted to override the mandate.

---Linda Kleindienst, Tallahassee Bureau Chief

Old 01-23-2008, 05:07 AM

367 posts, read 1,687,816 times
I personally would like to see some relief. Being a foreign (but now permanent resident) our family is only one year into homestead. Our tax on our modest 3/2 is almost $5000 annually. This is ludicrous. I would not wish to 'port' this when we move on! I don't have a vote, so it's academic for me really. In the UK there was a very unpopular house tax for a while. Poll tax, based on the number of inhabitants in a home, this was fine if you were a single person, but if you had a large family, even if you lived in a 2 bed home it became unmanageable. It didn't last that long. Not sure what the solution is, but for now, I'll take any relief that is offered. We have a rental property now that has an income that barely covers the monthly condo fees and the taxes and insurance. I'm just thankful that we paid off the mortgage on it when we did.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,836 times
I'll vote yes, because at least it's something, and if they have to "legislate" something new it could take years. I always liked the sales tax idea to get rid of property taxes, but everybody cried about it, so this is all we get now.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
I'm voting no. It's a badly designed, badly written bill, and I'm tired of half-hearted efforts from our legislators. Do some real work for a change, Tallahassee!

StPeteGuy: I always liked the sales tax idea to get rid of property taxes, but everybody cried about it, so this is all we get now.

I'm not a big fan of regressive taxes, personally. We had enough of that in South Carolina

Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 AM

127 posts, read 427,531 times
I know it's an unpopular idea, but there needs to be some level of state income tax imposed. The burden now shouldered by property owners needs to be lightened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay