Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 07:55 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The narrative of a retired or soon to be retired person is different than working age adult with a family. I am forced to endure the humidity because its humid out, I am not going to move my family and loved ones because its hot out, its just not that important, I don't like Florida, I kind of like Tampa, I really like South Tampa. I dont think that saying its hot out, or it sucks when there is a monsoon on my way home everyday makes me a miserable person, most people are able not to like things about a place without being miserable its not that serious.
Driving in the downpours surely would stink, especially with the awful drivers here. I was lucky when I was working in that it was a very very short commute and it was opposite traffic into the suburb next to ours.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I just did and I still don't see the problem. All they are doing is saying that they are happy that they are now living in Florida. What's wrong with that? Sure, maybe their opinion will change but then maybe it won't. I personally know people who would HATE living in Florida. Nothing wrong with that. I also know people who have lived their for many years and love Florida. There's also nothing wrong with that.

What I find sad is people who don't like where they are living and do nothing to improve their situation. I know there are people who are stuck places because of their disabilities. That I understand. However, if you are an able bodied person and don't like where you are, then you really should either do something about it or stop complaining.

That's just my opinion though. Maybe some find joy in being negative and tearing others down. If that's you, then be all means keep it up. For those that don't want to be bothered by the negative people, well that's what the "Ignore" feature on City-Data Forums is for.
We moved to Florida a few years back and loved it. Love it even more now. As it turns out, my health went downhill in a bad way and I am so very thankful for the great medical staff I have here. It's the best of all the places I have lived in my life. It may sound like a strange thing to love, but you find out just how important it is when it matters.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Actually the small native Florida lizards do eat palmetto bugs. It's amazing to watch.

My views are different than most I guess . I cannot understand the common human preoccupation with killing things .

Then again I don't have any phobias (except about certain people) so that's a whole area I have no experience in.

Being sprayed with Raid would be torture I'm afraid. My humane trap/ release method for palmetto bugs would get a big "that's disgusting" I'm sure.

There must be a video somewhere of a lizard eating a huge palmetto bug. The ideal scenario is for nature to take her own course. Just checked and there are several. How did you get a frog phobia?
In any case Cjrudy it sounds like you are respectful towards the creatures here. That's a huge plus for both sides!

I must have jynxed myself because there was just a lizard inside the college dorm room I'm currently at (boyfriend is at a cheerleading camp and I'm with him) and I had to spray a sunblock spray at it just so it'd leave and go out from the door. I thought I left this nightmare of lizards in my room when I left Miami! This hasn't happened in Abilene though, I haven't seen any over there. I'm currently in Cisco, out in the country.

I hate that name "palmetto bug." It sounds like people trying to convince themselves that it's not a cockroach but some "fancy exotic tropical insect." BS, it's a cockroach and you know it! The lizard that was just in my room was a transparent gecko, way smaller than a roach.

Frogs scare me for a similar reason lizards do. They're slimy and they jump fast too, which doesn't help. Icky things!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:53 PM

228 posts, read 171,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
I have only lived in Florida for a week but here is the list so far.
  • The constant sunshine, even while its raining.
  • Always seeing blue skies even when its cloudy.
  • How the rains cools down a hot day.
  • The continual warm humid breezes.
  • The never ending palm trees.
  • The abundant wildlife, birds, lizards, frogs, snakes, etc, etc, etc....
  • The foliage is so green.

Not to mention everyone is always saying "Have a wonderful day"
OMG! You poor thing! You need some rain, snow and frowns, Stat!

Old 07-20-2015, 11:16 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Unfortunately, some people can get caught in a viscous cycle. Work / Family / Finances... any of these things can prevent you from moving. Even with all things in order, there's a certain level of risk involved in dropping everything and giving another place a go.
I never suggested dropping everything and moving anywhere. You should always take your time, do tons of research and make a solid plan. Then work very hard towards reaching your goals. Before moving anywhere make sure you have all your ducks in a row, including a reserve set aside so that incase things do not work out the way you had planned in your new location, you can easily get back to familiar ground and have the funds to get re-established.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:32 AM

473 posts, read 544,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I never suggested dropping everything and moving anywhere. You should always take your time, do tons of research and make a solid plan. Then work very hard towards reaching your goals. Before moving anywhere make sure you have all your ducks in a row, including a reserve set aside so that incase things do not work out the way you had planned in your new location, you can easily get back to familiar ground and have the funds to get re-established.
Exactly what we did and fortunately for us everything has worked out.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:00 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
It seems to me that snowbirds have things just about right when it comes to Florida.
They remain in contact with the community they've grown up,got married and raised kids in through the summer months yet meet up with a whole new community of friends down here for the winter.

Personally I like it here 12 months of the year but I still retain a property in my former neighbourhood and take off every so often to plug myself into past memories. Funnily enough each time I do it the pull of Florida soon sees me heading back to my real home.

I never,ever tire of the sun,the heat and even the humidity. I love leaving my wardrobe of old work suits and winter clothing behind and coming back to Florida and living in shorts and a t-shirt.It even feels strange to put on a pair of socks these days.

I don't begrudge the OP his new-found happiness.It's great to see people realising a dream.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:28 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I must have jynxed myself because there was just a lizard inside the college dorm room I'm currently at (boyfriend is at a cheerleading camp and I'm with him) and I had to spray a sunblock spray at it just so it'd leave and go out from the door. I thought I left this nightmare of lizards in my room when I left Miami! This hasn't happened in Abilene though, I haven't seen any over there. I'm currently in Cisco, out in the country.

I hate that name "palmetto bug." It sounds like people trying to convince themselves that it's not a cockroach but some "fancy exotic tropical insect." BS, it's a cockroach and you know it! The lizard that was just in my room was a transparent gecko, way smaller than a roach.

Frogs scare me for a similar reason lizards do. They're slimy and they jump fast too, which doesn't help. Icky things!
Bad mojo to kill a gecko.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:33 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It seems to me that snowbirds have things just about right when it comes to Florida.
They remain in contact with the community they've grown up,got married and raised kids in through the summer months yet meet up with a whole new community of friends down here for the winter.
being able to afford two households (taxes, utilities, HOA fees, upkeep) is difficult, but yes, the snowbird has the best of both worlds - enjoying the winters here and going home up north where the heat and humidity draining/tiring......next best thing might be to RV up north during summer months to get out of the misery here ....more affordable for me....I look forward to making the trip in a few weeks myself......

Old 07-21-2015, 06:12 AM

745 posts, read 802,055 times
I suggest you move back to wherever you are from... buh bye...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay