Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 8,795 times

Advertisements

I've just closed on a new house and I'm looking for an alarm company. There's currently a Brinks alarm panel with some motion sensors in the house and I was hoping to have an alarm company just hook me up with service, but adding a wireless component since the system is currently designed for use with a landline which we aren't planning to get.

One company I called said that only ADT can service the Brinks alarm panel, this makes no sense to me. Our old house had an ADT alarm panel when we bought it and we used another local company to provide the service. The cheapest rate ADT can give me is $48 a month. I called another company and their cheapest rate was $35/mo. We used to have great service for about $25 a month (after having purchased the wireless component for about $80) with Ackerman, but they are not available here. I would love any leads on companies that offer wireless protection for under $30 a month, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 AM

369 posts, read 844,120 times
Did you try to negotiate price with ADT? They tried to charge me $45 a month and I talked them down to $33 a month. If you are a USAA member you get a discount as well.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 8,795 times
Yes they offered me all kinds of deals on the equipment and a $100 gift card and some other incentives but they wouldn't go lower on the monthly price. Good to know it can be done, though. Unfortunately I don't qualify for USAA.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Try these guys: Monitronics Home Security Systems and Burglar Alarm Monitoring Services

If I get a low battery condition on my system they call and tell me how to replace it.

Once I used the emergency code to disarm. Cops were at my door 5 minutes later. Monitronics does not hesitate to call your local police.

They can be negotiated with. I got them down to $17 a month.

You may need to make changes to the way your current system communicates since u have a landline dialer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzychick View Post
I've just closed on a new house and I'm looking for an alarm company. There's currently a Brinks alarm panel with some motion sensors in the house and I was hoping to have an alarm company just hook me up with service, but adding a wireless component since the system is currently designed for use with a landline which we aren't planning to get.

One company I called said that only ADT can service the Brinks alarm panel, this makes no sense to me. Our old house had an ADT alarm panel when we bought it and we used another local company to provide the service. The cheapest rate ADT can give me is $48 a month. I called another company and their cheapest rate was $35/mo. We used to have great service for about $25 a month (after having purchased the wireless component for about $80) with Ackerman, but they are not available here. I would love any leads on companies that offer wireless protection for under $30 a month, thanks!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:02 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
I find all these alarm companies as unscrupulous. They will not sign you up unless you sign a 5 year agreement and with automatic renewal. wth? Many people I know with ADT have been burglarized and ADT never responded with a call to police; the system or process didn't work.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
We've owned 9 homes in the past 30+ years. In 3 different states and 1 foreign country.

Never had an alarm system of any sort, never had a burglary. And all houses were SFH, none in gated communities.

We travel a lot (always have) so our houses have often been vacant for months at a time.

Are you sure you need an alarm system, or is this just something you think is a good idea, based on TV commercials and promos sent in the mail?

Over $700 dollars a year seems like a lot of money for something you may not need.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I find all these alarm companies as unscrupulous. They will not sign you up unless you sign a 5 year agreement and with automatic renewal. wth? Many people I know with ADT have been burglarized and ADT never responded with a call to police; the system or process didn't work.
Certainly there are poorly run monitoring companies. Not all require a 5 year contract and if you dont want to renew you contact them just before your contract expires and terminate them.

If an alarm system does not work it is the fault of the owner for not doing the monthly test or they arent paying attention to the systems warnings from self-diagnosis.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Depending on the size of your home and how many windows the prices will differ.

We got the best deal from Bright House as they don't work with a contract but when the install was going to take place the entire story and price changed so much that it was canceled and actually the installer was telling us that we would be better of by going by the company who originally installed everything and that is how we ended up going with Guardian Protection and we are so far very happy and they have lower monthly rates than ADT who we also spoke with and even have a contract with for our office but they were much higher in cost.

I also inquired with the one that is advertised on the radio by a lot of famous radio/TV hosts and is a wireless system but is only as cheap if it is used for a smaller home otherwise if you add all the individual items it will be more expensive and everything needs to be self installed with clear explanations but will only work for certain homes. That company has very low monitoring charges and seems to be good.

Nowadays everything comes into the house wireless even though some items may be wired onto the windows.

Your Brinks panel is easy to be replaced as most companies provide their own panel which is included in the charges.

For Guardian we got items added which offset the install charges.

Let me know if you need anymore info. It is like insurance a world of it's own.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:09 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Call Bright House, their home security product is top knotch and the value is far better than most. cell back up included, app to control from phone/pc with notifications and stuff.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,510 times
I think Crime Alert security offers a $25 a month with a landline, I can double check with my cousin, but he thinks they are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay