Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Uh, swim in it?
That is a REALLY BAD IDEA in Florida considering this water is hot and can be infested with all sorts of bacterias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:31 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
I don't want to be rude, but in the north they shovel the snow even the blizzards. So what do they do here in Tampa? Just leave it sitting and let people drive and ruin their car? Does this make Tampa a livable city (by the definition)? I am not so sure. If they didn't plow after blizzard it would be as bad as these floods. If there is no technology, it's 2015 there is no excuse.
Good questions. Yes, they just leave the flood waters on the roads and tell people not to drive through them. It seems weird, doesn't it? Since moving here, a little over four years ago, I've been amazed that the powers that be just seem to let areas the same areas flood year after year and never fix the problem. Surely in this day and age there are ways to remedy this situation. The flooding is regarded by some as part of life here. There seems to be a very laissez faire attitude about it. I don't understand it, but I'm sure glad we researched enough before making our move to know better than to buy a home in a known flood zone because it would drive me crazy.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:52 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Before an area gets developed one of the first things done is the drainage. South Tampa was not built yesterday,
The drainage system is quite old and outdated. We have been hearing for years how small the drainage pipes are in south tampa. When we get the heavy rains they can't handle the volume. Digging up streets can cause numerous headaches for the people living down there. Major $$$ will be needed to fix it, unlike up north where you can buy a few more snow plows. Major construction vs a few pieces of machinery is not a good comparison.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:57 AM

335 posts, read 406,893 times
Thanks for the reasonable explanations. It makes sense but I still think, the heaviest areas (ie, south tampa) should be fixed. I was stunned by what I saw yesterday. And honestly, I've been stunned a few times before that too (although not nearly as bad as yesterday). Thanks for the inputs.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:11 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
The water dissapates in a day or so unlike the snow that accumulates for months, causes major headaches for car owners who get trapped into parking spots by snowplows. And the annual budget for salt and snow removal is in the tens of millions $. All we locals here do is avoid problem prone areas for a day or two.....and this type of flooding doesn't occur every year.....like snow bound cities.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:14 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I hate to tell you this, but those who move here don't like or want to pay taxes, so there is no money assigned to have vehicles out pumping that water away from streets and properties.
I have yet to meet a sane individual who likes to pay taxes......but if you do, feel free to pay more.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:17 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
This is it. People demand first class service for a penny . People go out in droves to oppose any kind of additional tax for infrastructure. In fact, they want to cut the existing assessment. The so called "government" that many complain against that does this type of work could be as small as you want it to be. These are the consequences though.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:18 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
umm, maybe I don't think this has been pointed out yet...but if you move to a swamp, you are going to have water issues.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Here are some quotes from a 2004 article in the St Pete Times that explain it more.

So why South Tampa? Blame the flatness, its low elevation, the two bays that buffet the peninsula on either side and the area's reliance on a strained, 1920s-era drainage system that has never been overhauled.
Construction has played a role, too. Development has crowded natural creeks that once collected stormwater, and acres of pavement cover soil that once soaked up the water.
"We're relying on an under-designed system," said Mike Salmon, director of the city's stormwater department. "The South Tampa drainage system was based on rural runoff intensities. It never contemplated homes the size they are now, or the paving that now exists."

Construction has played a role, too. Development has crowded natural creeks that once collected stormwater, and acres of pavement cover soil that once soaked up the water.

"We're relying on an under-designed system," said Mike Salmon, director of the city's stormwater department. "The South Tampa drainage system was based on rural runoff intensities. It never contemplated homes the size they are now, or the paving that now exists."

Assuming the public is willing to fund improvements, stormwater department officials said citywide fixes should begin in the next three to four years and continue for the next 50.

So even with the needed money it will not be fixed in just a few years!!

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/07/30/Ci...kely_to_.shtml

Last edited by mrviking; 08-02-2015 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Your answer explains attitude why this happens.
This statement does not make any sense.

Here was my answer to your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I think it really depends on the area. In certain areas, they allow development without drainage plans designed around reality, and then they are very slow to react when they discover real drainage issues. See parts of Trinity & NPR.

In certain areas, development should simply not be allowed.....as in places actually below sea level. But money talks.

Sometimes it is just the amount of rainfall within a period of time. No matter what is designed, mother nature can overpower it.
Can you explain how my answer helps allow flooding to happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay