Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,750 times

Advertisements

I've been having some flooding issues in my crawlspace (which is really a 1/2 basement with concrete floors) generally only during big storms like Irene, Sandy and most recently Andrea. I live close to the beach and have been told that it is coming from the ground up due to high water table. It's a large crawlspace approx. 2100 sq ft and there are a lot of areas where the water pools even after pumping out with a utility pump. I've had a few companies come in for estimates, and one (Complete Basement Systems) is suggesting two sump pumps with 10' channels running to each pump and then encapsulating the walls and floors with vinyl liner. If water still comes up from the floor during these types of storms, it will be under the vinyl until the sump removes it. I've heard of this being done for crawlspaces with dirt floors, but I have cement floors. Has anyone had any experience with this type of system, or recommendations for basement water remediation companies? Any help/insight greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
What are you hoping to accomplish with the crawl space/basement? The type of storms you mention are infrequent at best and you have to decide is the investment worth it? Also realise that many times a home has some form of basement / underhouse space even though the areas water table is naturally high and not the right enviroment to build with way.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 PM

My furnace, ductwork and plumbing is down there, and that's it. Unfortunately the frequency of these storms seems to be increasing. The past 3 years we have flooded each year and removing the standing water is a difficult process given the limited height and accessibility of some parts of the space. I'm concerned about mold, musty odors and other damage that could occur if I just leave the water there until it evaporates. Also concerned about resale value down the road, if i have a space that floods and haven't done anything to address it.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:33 AM

29 posts, read 162,224 times
I would definitely get the pumps and channels. We have the same water table issue. The whole point of the pumps is to prevent the water table from coming high enough to get in through the floor or walls so the vinyl is unnecessary. It's a nice safety net if you finish your basement, which I'm assuming you can't do in a crawls pace.

I am not sure what your budget is but adding the pumps is definitely worth it. I don't know what area you are in but my area has been having at minimum annual big storm events that flood everyone out and if you are responsible for drying out a basement or crawl space, you know that is NOT infrequent.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 AM

41 posts, read 87,291 times
nkanter, our situation is almost like yours (our boiler, and ductwork do not go through crawl, though). We also had a quote from the same company, but we decided against it. Our crawl is vented. Even though general opinion is to close it, it does not make much sense in our situation (this was confirm by few other contractors). We will install good quality sump pump (have quotes already). With sump pumps, however, you need to understand that if you have high water table, your sump might be working non-stop. In order to prevent it you may want to install manual override switch. Additionally, your bucket where sump pump is placed can be made in a way so that you have holes only in the upper part of it. They recommend crawl dehumidifier for closed crawl spaces, but it does not make much sense for vented ones.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your response. Mel4VA, I agree the frequency of these storms is more than I care to deal with and I definitely need to do something. I know at minimum I need to do the pumps, wasn't sure about the liner. It seems to me that it will just hide what is going on underneath the liner. CatAthena, have you decided what company you are going with? Any reccomendations? I live on the South Shore of Nassau County, in the Long Beach area.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:52 PM

41 posts, read 87,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkanter View Post
Thanks everyone for your response. Mel4VA, I agree the frequency of these storms is more than I care to deal with and I definitely need to do something. I know at minimum I need to do the pumps, wasn't sure about the liner. It seems to me that it will just hide what is going on underneath the liner. CatAthena, have you decided what company you are going with? Any reccomendations? I live on the South Shore of Nassau County, in the Long Beach area.
Hi, nkanter, I sent you DM. Best of luck.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Not sure if you need the vinyl....

Sounds like a plan. Remember that pumps do not work without power. Concider a battery back up power source unless you have a generator.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,475 times
Kbinspections
They make a pump thats works on water pressure no electric needed.On LI if you have SCWA you can use this pump.I saw this in operation on This Old House.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Kbinspections
They make a pump thats works on water pressure no electric needed.On LI if you have SCWA you can use this pump.I saw this in operation on This Old House.
Yes, I have seen that pump.....not sure how realible they are as I have not seen any installed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island