Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 AM

101 posts, read 123,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
I don't buy that sorry. There is a way and if there isn't they have to discover a way. I would cringe to have to live here year in and out with this every summer. I am sure at one point up north they were saying the same thing. Have you ever visited during a blizzard? Believe me it's like magic what gets done.
I am in full agreement. These rain spells in the summer were usually very short in FL. Since my return here and seeing it this summer, it feels like Seattle/Portland. Its just been very depressing here in Tampa area. Driving in it is ultimate hell also. Just like a snowstorm in some ways. They need to deal with this and plan better if it gets any worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Hopefully New Englanders/New Yorkers will see it and keep them from moving here.
You cant see it like that though. That is whats wrong with FL right there. People have no problem with this rain just because it supposedly "stops people from coming". A bad storm is a bad storm regardless and something needs to be done. Last I checked were all Americans now and need to put stupid differences aside.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Before an area gets developed one of the first things done is the drainage. South Tampa was not built yesterday,
The drainage system is quite old and outdated. We have been hearing for years how small the drainage pipes are in south tampa. When we get the heavy rains they can't handle the volume. Digging up streets can cause numerous headaches for the people living down there. Major $$$ will be needed to fix it, unlike up north where you can buy a few more snow plows. Major construction vs a few pieces of machinery is not a good comparison.
Sure as hell glad I didn't stay in St Pete or move to South Tampa. Its even bad enough hell in most of Hillsborough but cant imagine over there or in the Gandy/Dale Mabry area.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I have yet to meet a sane individual who likes to pay taxes......but if you do, feel free to pay more.
Look tax is a part of society. There will never be no taxes. Sure I hate petty taxes but you have to pay no matter what. Even NH where its tax free in most cases, they gouge you on property tax. It still beats MA though because theres more day to day freedom with how people live their lives. You will always have to pay tax though, even where you think you wont.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Make no mistake, kids (and grown ups) love the snow....and love to play in it...there are so many pics. First snow storm is usually the funnest. But they still remove it from the street
Sure they do, and the citizens get hit hard. $35 mil last winter in Boston alone. We don't need the added taxes for a couple of days of inconvenience. Water will subside in a day or two. No need to hit the taxpayer for a billion dollar project for a storm that hits once in a blue moon.

Please don't bring your tax and spend mentality to our state.

Boston to Set Record for Most Dollars Spent on Snow Removal - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times
Quote:
The water dissapates in a day or so...
No, you only think that's what happens because of the vast storm water systems of Tampa...

Stormwater Division | City of Tampa
Stormwater personnel are responsible for the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of Tampa's stormwater system including more than 600 miles of stormwater pipe, 250+ miles of ditches and culverts, and over 100 treatment ponds. Our staff annually clean 21,000 miles of curbed roadway with a fleet of street sweepers to reduce flooding by preventing sediment and debris from entering the drainage system.

Design Division Project Count - Fiscal Year 2015
Number of Projects in Design or Construction - 28
Dollar value of Projects Designed - $18.7 million
...but really that's just a massive collection system for water which we freeze and then ship up north in cargo planes installed with snow cone machines. The ice is shaved in flight, falling as blizzards which the good citizens of the north then shovel. It keeps them from gaining too much weight in winter.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:47 AM

794 posts, read 1,861,301 times
Quote:
I don't want to be rude, but in the north they shovel the snow even the blizzards. So what do they do here in Tampa? Just leave it sitting and let people drive and ruin their car? Does this make Tampa a livable city (by the definition)? I am not so sure. If they didn't plow after blizzard it would be as bad as these floods. If there is no technology, it's 2015 there is no excuse.
So, where exactly in the North do they plow blizzards in the entire state? Don't they start with the Major Thruways, highways, and bi-ways? Then major secondary roads? That is until March, when everything stops, because they run out of salt and overtime budgets. Then what? They wait until it melts. In Boston last year, the town was at a standstill for weeks on end.

Tampa and Florida in general have retaining ponds and overall good drainage. Some low lying areas are very prone to flooding. Up north, higher elevations and Lake Effect areas are hammered with constant snow more than other areas. Can Buffalo remediate the Lake effect issues?

Everyone does the best they can, there is no one pill fits all.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:28 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
So, where exactly in the North do they plow blizzards in the entire state? Don't they start with the Major Thruways, highways, and bi-ways? Then major secondary roads? That is until March, when everything stops, because they run out of salt and overtime budgets. Then what? They wait until it melts. In Boston last year, the town was at a standstill for weeks on end.

Tampa and Florida in general have retaining ponds and overall good drainage. Some low lying areas are very prone to flooding. Up north, higher elevations and Lake Effect areas are hammered with constant snow more than other areas. Can Buffalo remediate the Lake effect issues?

Everyone does the best they can, there is no one pill fits all.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:46 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
I have yet to meet a sane individual who likes to pay taxes......but if you do, feel free to pay more.
I didn't say I wanted to pay taxes, but "street cleaning" belongs to the Gov, so....

Old 08-02-2015, 12:48 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Quote:
The water dissapates in a day or so unlike the snow that accumulates for months, causes major headaches for car owners who get trapped into parking spots by snowplows. And the annual budget for salt and snow removal is in the tens of millions $. All we locals here do is avoid problem prone areas for a day or two.....and this type of flooding doesn't occur every year.....like snow bound cities.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay