Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:43 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,336,198 times

Advertisements

saintpetersblog.com/archives/234382
...Innovative districts have been described as geographic areas where “anchor” institutions and companies cluster and connect with start-ups, business incubators and accelerators. Ideally they’re also physically compact, transit-accessible, and technically wired and offer mixed-use housing, office, and retail.

Anchor institutions here include USF, Florida Hospital Tampa, Moffitt Cancer Center and Busch Gardens.

The immediate plan to create a joint planning agreement between Hillsborough and the cities of Tampa and Temple Terrace, which will help define the exact boundaries of the innovation district, which ideally will then allow for an expedited permitting process. From there a request for quotations and proposals for a master developer will follow, as well as a master planner...

...USF President Judy Genshaft...said earlier this year that “Our people are all over—it is our responsibility as a state university, a public university, to be an economic engine for the region.”...

...Innovation districts have been seen by urban planners in recent years as a way that can lead to economic opportunities. As Bruce Katz from the Brookings Institute has written, innovation districts can revitalize low-income neighborhoods, “directly through investments in affordable housing, infrastructure and improved Internet connectivity, and indirectly via enhanced tax revenues that result from city-wide economic growth.” (Katz will be in Tampa on October 29 to talk about innovation districts.)...

...The Tampa Innovation Alliance is a public/private partnership. There are currently 70 businesses and individuals who have joined the alliance since it officially began in January, and Sharpe hopes to have that up 140 by the end of October. Some of the biggest players include Busch Gardens and RD Management, which purchased the University Mall on Fowler Avenue last December....
HOME - Tampa Innovation Alliance
Who is the Alliance

The Tampa Innovation Alliance is a multi-jurisdictional district anchored by globally-recognized institutions who drive economic activity in the area, engaging tens of thousands of students and educators, healthcare workers and patients, and four million tourists annually. Our anchor institutions include:University of South Florida, Busch Gardens, Moffitt Cancer Center, Florida Hospital, RD Management (University Square Mall). Under new leadership and with institutional support, the Alliance is poised to engage business and community as we lead revitalization and renaissance – building an engaged community recognized as an innovation destination through an inclusive effort drawing from the creative minds of our community.

What is our Mission?

Simply put, our mission is to build a place that people want to live, work and play. Our focus is on Transforming, Enriching & Connecting our Alliance area. And our vision is to transform this transient area into a destination, rather than just a thoroughfare to the university, entertainment venues or hospitals.

What is the Tampa Innovation Alliance?

Created in 2011, the Tampa Innovation Alliance underwent several iterations of planning and leadership. Founding members clarified the revitalization priorities of the Alliance and appointed Mark Sharpe as Executive Director in November of 2014. The staff includes a Director of Planning and a part-time Director of Communications/Community Engagement. USF student interns work on planning and engagement projects. The Alliance began to actively recruit new members following the placement of its first Executive Director in November of 2014. Within just a few short months, we are rapidly approaching 100 Alliance member organizations and individuals.

Where are we?

https://www.facebook.com/tampainnovation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7FHvzWMkPQ

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 06-30-2015 at 11:08 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 11:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5He2WlLzRVc

Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,021,082 times
Between this and Invision, Nebraska should slowly start to clean up.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
What a waste of money...

Where are they sending the current "residents"???

Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 AM

745 posts, read 802,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Between this and Invision, Nebraska should slowly start to clean up.
Right... lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What a waste of money...

And that, my friend is the white elephant in the room. Until the residents change, the area is going to suck. The current residents have zero pride in their surroundings. And for the most part are a bunch of criminals and scumbags

Old 07-01-2015, 06:58 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,192,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What a waste of money...

I can tell you right now where they'll send the current "residents". South Hillsborough County, specifically Ruskin and Wimauma.

How do I know?

Because that's where they sent them during the prior "re-development" efforts, during 2005-2009. It was heartbreaking for some of them. I spoke with a single mother who had been "re-located" away from her job in Tampa and was trying to figure out the bus schedules to get to her job in Tampa from South Hillsborough. I don't know how it turned out for her, the route was so complex and I imagine the time out of her day wasn't worth it. I hope she got a job around here. She didn't have a car.

Not all of these people are scumbags. Many are working poor whose lives get completely disrupted by these sorts of events.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:03 AM

745 posts, read 802,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I can tell you right now where they'll send the current "residents". South Hillsborough County, specifically Ruskin and Wimauma.

How do I know?

Because that's where they sent them during the prior "re-development" efforts, during 2005-2009. It was heartbreaking for some of them. I spoke with a single mother who had been "re-located" away from her job in Tampa and was trying to figure out the bus schedules to get to her job in Tampa from South Hillsborough. I don't know how it turned out for her, the route was so complex and I imagine the time out of her day wasn't worth it. I hope she got a job around here. She didn't have a car.

Not all of these people are scumbags. Many are working poor whose lives get completely disrupted by these sorts of events.
All of these redevelopment attempts have been failures. Look at the projects they dozed and re-built on the 22nd street by Lee Davis, that area is still one of the most dangerous in Tampa, same with the ones on Florida by Bo's, not any better, and who knows what's going to happen over in central park by the Bro Bowl... they dozed that a few years ago, building a couple things, but the entire area around it is still ghetto

Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,192,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
All of these redevelopment attempts have been failures. Look at the projects they dozed and re-built on the 22nd street by Lee Davis, that area is still one of the most dangerous in Tampa, same with the ones on Florida by Bo's, not any better, and who knows what's going to happen over in central park by the Bro Bowl... they dozed that a few years ago, building a couple things, but the entire area around it is still ghetto
And before they dozed Central Park, we did get a number of the former residents. They just dump these poor folks wherever they can. This isn't new to the Tampa area. This sort of thing has been going on for a while all over the country, it's an effort to break up and spread out the population instead of having them concentrated in certain areas.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

How do I know?

That sucks for sure! I know they're not all scumbags, and while it would be nice to have the areas surrounding DT "refurbished", I think the way it's being approached is just wrong. "Who" will go to that area? Is the final question? Those who live in ST won't, those who live in the northern suburbs won't, those who live in Pinellas won't, so "who" is this for????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay