Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times

Advertisements

This is at least the third project I have heard of over the years:

Strip developer to be fishing for office tenants

But it sounds like this time they are actually in the process of converting the building (note the present tense):

Quote:
The developer hopes to have the renovations completed by the start of 2014. Sampson is installing windows, facades, elevators, restrooms, lobbies and heating and cooling systems as part of the conversion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
I remember they wanted to make that building condos or apartments a few years ago. What happened to that?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I remember they wanted to make that building condos or apartments a few years ago. What happened to that?
Apparently it was the same developer changing its mind:

Developer to get going on Wholey landmark - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Apparently it was the same developer changing its mind:

Developer to get going on Wholey landmark - Pittsburgh Business Times
Oh that's interesting. Development of that building would be a good asset for The Strip whether they put in offices or apartments.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 AM

I wanted to see a residential project, but more office jobs is good too.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
Quote:
I wanted to see a residential project, but more office jobs is good too.

I favor residential too. Another office building is great if it brings in a tenant from the burbs but if it just lures a tenant from Downtown that really isn't an improvement.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Another office building is great if it brings in a tenant from the burbs but if it just lures a tenant from Downtown that really isn't an improvement.
Judging from office vacancy and rent trends Downtown, I'd guess it will be more the former. In fact as I see it, each of these new office projects in the Greater Downtown area potentially frees up some more underutilized lower-class office space for conversion to residential.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Oh that's interesting. Development of that building would be a good asset for The Strip whether they put in offices or apartments.
I agree. That is an interesting building. It is quite large, but in need of repair. Hope it works out and gets a facelift.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
Quote:
Judging from office vacancy and rent trends Downtown, I'd guess it will be more the former. In fact as I see it, each of these new office projects in the Greater Downtown area potentially frees up some more underutilized lower-class office space for conversion to residential.

PNC built a new building and their biggest tenant is Reed Smith. Most of the new projects are aimed at existing downtown tenants that need more space.

Rents are so high downtown that many corporations don't want to be downtown unless they have to. Odds are if they have to be downtown they already are.

Honestly, I can't think of a company that moved to town from the burbs. Think of all of the high profile moves. Google to East Liberty, American Eagle to the South Side, Westinghouse to Cranberry. Sure, UPMC "moved" to the USX Tower. My guess is that was because they had the cash and needed a way to spend it or wanted the PR that came with a downtown move. The only one that I can think of is Siemens in the Union Trust Building. I am not sure where it came from. Did they come from the burbs?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
PNC built a new building and their biggest tenant is Reed Smith. Most of the new projects are aimed at existing downtown tenants that need more space. Rents are so high downtown that many corporations don't want to be downtown unless they have to. Odds are if they have to be downtown they already are.
It is true only certain sorts of firms/offices need to be Downtown. However, the relevant industries are growing in Pittsburgh, and Class A office space in particular has gotten tight Downtown, with rents increasing. Hence I think there is likely plenty of demand for more new, high-class office space in the Greater Downtown area (note office space on the periphery of the Greater Downtown area may be able to price a little lower than in the Golden Triangle itself, which would broaden the market a bit).

So I probably should have clarified initially that I wasn't really thinking in terms of attracting existing tenants from the suburbs. Rather, I am thinking in terms of giving new tenants who would like to be in or near Downtown more options. Those new tenants could be expansions of existing business, new local businesses, businesses based elsewhere opening up offices here, or so on.

Edit:

Here is the 4Q 2011 market report from Grubb & Ellis:

http://www.grubb-ellis.com/SitePages...type=9&id=1228

Some relevant language:

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Central Business District (CBD), which has been in the spotlight over the past several years, was again a hub of activity in 2011. . . . Tenants were equally as active. The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) absorbed another 267,000 square feet, bringing their total CBD lease commitment in U.S. Steel Tower to nearly 800,000 square feet; Federated Investors confirmed their commitment to the city by extending their 250,000-square-foot lease at 1001 Liberty Avenue. . . . Maintaining a trend that began at the end of 2007, Class A space continued to tighten, resting at a historical CBD low of 6 percent, while vacancies in Class B and C buildings climbed and added to an already plentiful supply of inventory. In response, Class A asking rental rates strengthened and landlords with quality space closed the year with a smile.
That sort of thing is why I think the natural evolution of the Greater Downtown area is to supply more new higher-class office space, while older lower-class office space can be converted to residential, hotels, and so on.

Incidentally, that report also details how various suburban markets (along with the Oakland/East-End) are experiencing low vacancies at the same time as all this is going on Downtown. So Downtown isn't cannibalizing the suburbs or other core markets, but rather is serving its own pool of demand.

Last edited by BrianTH; 03-07-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh