Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:27 AM

5 posts, read 5,315 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering relo from Honolulu to Tampa.

2x 30somethings, no kids.
Would be working in downtown and possibly MacDill in future.

I realise South Tampa is probably the best option and can fit our budget with short commute and apart from flooding risk, no big drawbacks) - I am looking for alternatives with a slightly longer commute (but without flood issues). South Tampa is still on the table but I want to know where else to consider.

Carrollwood seems to have decent properties, as does Temple Terrace, Seminole Heights. Brandon/Riverview looks a bit too cookie cutter. What else to consider?

Looking for:
* single family (non-cookie cutter, 250-500k, prefer to be around 350)
* realistically under 30 mins to downtown; not too much more to/from macdill. Paying tolls is acceptable if helps.
* 2 car garage (I realise this excludes many older homes, 1 car would be absolute minimum)
* 2br/1.5 bath minimum (bigger is okay but don't need a huge house)
* decent size lot (ideally already has pool/patio area, not right on top of neighbours)
* safe, reduced violent crime (generally ok to walk at night with dog)
* decent community where people walk/run on sidewalks or at parks, etc
* established with mature growth/some stuff nearby

Bonuses:
* pet friendly
* fun construction (beyond a ranch style home)
* educated neighbours (like near USF?)
* fun stuff nearby on weekends
* lake/riverfront for wildlife and recreation
* general sense of sanctuary

Dont care about:
* new construction (most are hideous)
* perfectly manicured lawns in neighbourhood
* everything being perfect looking, some funkiness/minor blight is okayish.
* anything involving kids/schools (not anti-, just don't have any so not a factor)
* access to nightlife (mostly would work downtown so can always go after work)
* being in a gated/deeded community (minor HOA could be ok but nothing crazy)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 01:21 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
I'll have to give you a quick heads up: The area around USF, while it is being worked on, redeveloped, and renovated, is not where a lot of USF grads live (that area would probably be closer to South Tampa). As far as nightlife and downtown, there is a little bit... But it's not something I'd really brag about. A few local bars with one or two night clubs. Again, Channelside (the "party" district) is also being renovated and, within the next ten years, should be an awesome place to be. Ybor is nearby downtown, however, it's nightlife is usually dead during the week. From what I understand (I spend almost no time down there), SoHo has a pretty active nightlife, however, it's geared towards the UT crowd. That said, there are some cool places in SoHo.

Seminole Heights is probably my favorite part of Tampa right now. Tons of cool restaurants, bars, unique shops, etc. Over the last 30 years, it's an area that has tried to shed the bad reputation it's built. Last I heard (and I can't find my source on this, so take it for what it's worth), neighbors were doing a group dog walk at night to take Nebraska Ave (the one road in Tampa I will say it pretty iffy) back from the prostitutes and drug dealers who usually congregate there. However, I don't think I've seen a house in the area with a pool or much of a yard. Not saying they don't exist... I've just never seen one. Seminole Heights is also right off of Hillsborough River and Lowry Park zoo is either in the neighborhood, or just outside of it.

I can't say anything about Temple Terrace, but I can say that I absolutely hated being in Brandon. As I always say, Brandon is great if you like having to drive to Tampa for all of your entertainment. "Great today, greater tomorrow."

Another area to check out would be West Tampa. There are pockets that are really cool and have that funky feel to them. It was the third neighborhood (behind downtown and Ybor) in Tampa. After WWII, many of the factory workers ended up in West Tampa. A lot of Cuban restaurants and bars in the area.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:14 AM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
If you don't mind paying tolls, you can get from Westchase to downtown in 30 minutes. I do it every day. Actually I should clarify, if I wanted to pay tolls I could... but I don't and it actually takes me 45 minutes. But sometimes I do need to get home faster and take the veterans expressway, and it's reliably 30 minutes. But getting to MacDill in that time, no way...

If you have a family, seminole heights is NOT for you. Neither is University area or Temple Terrace. Schools zoned in for those areas suck, and in my opinion, they are not good.

South Tampa area would probably be your best bet if you are looking to minimize your commute. Or Brandon, but you are going to have to pay tolls to get from Brandon to Tampa in 30 minutes too...

Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
Have you considered Seffner where you'll find the Bits N Pieces Puppet Theater? They might even be interviewing for the role of coward for extra work, should you need to do extra work on yourself, I mean, have extra work for yourselves. You should check that out.

Here's their link Bits 'N Pieces Puppet Theatre | Entertaining Children Since 1972 . By the sound of your OP that area might be the perfect fit.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 AM

101 posts, read 114,037 times
Westchase, New Tampa and Brandon sound like the exact opposite of what you want.

South Tampa sounds like your number 1 choice as it would check every single one of your boxes.

Seminole heights has potential, but finding a garage will be a little more difficult and safety is still a factor there (that being said, I would feel comfortable living there).

Other options would be NE St Pete and Safety Harbor, but the commute will be more than 30 minutes with traffic.

I would look in S Tampa.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
If you have a family, seminole heights is NOT for you....
Aren't you the guy who has bragged that he lost a lot of money on a house in Seminole Heights? You've never told us how much cash you had in that game. We look forward to that.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 AM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Aren't you the guy who has bragged that he lost a lot of money on a house in Seminole Heights? You've never told us how much cash you had in that game. We look forward to that.
I ended up not losing money, but I had to hang onto the house through the crash...

I bought in 2001 wanted to sell in 2009, and well, you know what happened in that timeframe. I ended up actually making a fair amount of money.

And I was in Tampa Heights, not Seminole Heights

FYI, same core group of criminals victimizing both Seminole Heights and Tampa Heights for what it's worth...

You can read between the lines

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
There are some parts of St. Pete that may be to your liking but South Tampa sounds like the best option to avoid traffic on the bridges although Gandy over all is not that bad when it comes to traffic.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:42 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,604,953 times
I was just about to say the OP's request sounds like the classic Old Northeast neighborhood in St. Petersburg with the only caveat being an attached garage. Zip code 33704.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 08-17-2015 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
I ended up not losing money, but I had to hang onto the house through the crash...

I bought in 2001 wanted to sell in 2009, and well, you know what happened in that timeframe. I ended up actually making a fair amount of money.
Oh, so the Heights was a good buy for you then. Thank you for clarifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay