Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM

55 posts, read 167,834 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I married about 2 months ago. We've been living in my townhouse in South Tampa. It was perfect when I was single, but alas it's small for 2. We plan on having kids sooner than later. My wifes commute to Clearwater is also a reason for us to move. I work in South Tampa. My commute is 10 minutes. Hers in an hour with traffic. We'd like to move somewhere where its about half an hour for both of us. Public School ratings are important.

For what we are looking for, we are priced out of South Tampa. We are looking for at least 4 bedrooms, 2 car garage, and 2500 sf. We are undecided about having a pool. Our max budget is around 450 but would like to stay under. We've found some houses in Palm Harbor (Severs Landing to be exact), but worried about the proximity to US 19 and Belcher could be a problem. There are houses in Oldsmar (East Lake Woodlands golf course), Westchase, and a nice house in Safety Harbor (Huntington trails) as well.

Anyone have opinions about these areas? Thanks

Last edited by kuyaariel; 11-05-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 20,760 times
I have not lived in any of those areas, but have visited all of them either visiting friends or working in the town. Out of all of them, I liked Safety Harbor the most. It's farther away from the dreaded Highway 19 than Palm Harbor. I have heard good things about Westchase, too.

This may not be a concern for you, but I experienced a major hick/racist vibe in Oldsmar that I did not get in the other 3 areas. I'm a person of color, so my mere existence around others is a pretty good litmus test!

Old 11-05-2015, 01:04 PM

769 posts, read 829,697 times
So, let me say this...

You are trading her commute for yours.

Living in any of those places, the commute to South Tampa will be a bear. Especially East Lake and Palm Harbor. There's NO good way to get to South Tampa from there.

So if you are fine with an hour + commute, go for it, all those places are nice, but it sounds like you are trying to appease the girlfriend and will make your life miserable

Old 11-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the response. She's my wife btw. And I'd rather have me do the longer commute than her. I have a little more flexibility with my work schedule, and with her being a doctor sometimes she needs to get to the clinic quickly.

That being said, we've been to all of these houses. Once there we "google map" it both of our works and it's 30-35 for me, taking Tampa/Road Hillsborough from East Lake, Oldsmar and Westchase, and talking the Courtney Campbell from Safety Harbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
So, let me say this...

You are trading her commute for yours.

Living in any of those places, the commute to South Tampa will be a bear. Especially East Lake and Palm Harbor. There's NO good way to get to South Tampa from there.

So if you are fine with an hour + commute, go for it, all those places are nice, but it sounds like you are trying to appease the girlfriend and will make your life miserable

Old 11-05-2015, 01:18 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,201 times
Depending where she works, Westchase is your best bet. Then may be Oldsmar and Safery Harbor.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:19 PM

240 posts, read 286,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professional88 View Post
I have not lived in any of those areas, but have visited all of them either visiting friends or working in the town. Out of all of them, I liked Safety Harbor the most. It's farther away from the dreaded Highway 19 than Palm Harbor. I have heard good things about Westchase, too.

This may not be a concern for you, but I experienced a major hick/racist vibe in Oldsmar that I did not get in the other 3 areas. I'm a person of color, so my mere existence around others is a pretty good litmus test!
The dreaded highway 19 has been majorly improved. I for one am grateful. So don't worry about that, OP. It's a continuous drive from 580 to just north of Park Blvd. In Pinellas park. No more traffic lights.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 20,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
The dreaded highway 19 has been majorly improved. I for one am grateful. So don't worry about that, OP. It's a continuous drive from 580 to just north of Park Blvd. In Pinellas park. No more traffic lights.
Has it been improved in the northern/Palm Harbor area? I know the Clearwater strip was under construction for YEARS, was a nightmare. Still, there's just something about the strip from New Port Richey to above Clearwater where the road is downright cursed.

The nastiest accident I've ever been in was at 19 and Klosterman Rd., a guy fell asleep at the wheel and ran into me full force while I was idling at a red light.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaariel View Post
Thanks for the response. She's my wife btw. And I'd rather have me do the longer commute than her. I have a little more flexibility with my work schedule, and with her being a doctor sometimes she needs to get to the clinic quickly.

That being said, we've been to all of these houses. Once there we "google map" it both of our works and it's 30-35 for me, taking Tampa/Road Hillsborough from East Lake, Oldsmar and Westchase, and talking the Courtney Campbell from Safety Harbor.
You are fooling yourself if you think you can get to South Tampa from East Lake or Palm Harbor.

Hillsborough and Memorial backs up real bad in the morning and Memorial backs up all the way from Hillsborough to the Veterans in the afternoon, you are looking at an hour to 1.5 hours if you have to drive during rush hour. I think 35 minutes from Westchase might be possible at 5am on Sunday morning. Just about no other time. Especially in the afternoon.

This is all probably doable for you, but just letting you know ahead of time.

Take a day off work and drive that during rush hour... you are in for an eye opener.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professional88 View Post
Has it been improved in the northern/Palm Harbor area? I know the Clearwater strip was under construction for YEARS, was a nightmare. Still, there's just something about the strip from New Port Richey to above Clearwater where the road is downright cursed.

The nastiest accident I've ever been in was at 19 and Klosterman Rd., a guy fell asleep at the wheel and ran into me full force while I was idling at a red light.
Exactly and no matter how "good" 19 is or isn't you have to fight the gridlock combo of Tampa Rd / Hillsborough / Memorial to get to 275 and Tampa or Fight 19 / McMullen booth and the Courtney Campbell...

There is NO GOOD WAY to get from north Pinellas to South Tampa, or downtown Tampa... no good way

Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 AM

Thanks. Anymore advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay