Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM

100 posts, read 163,176 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've posted this on the Orlando forum however I wanted to get thoughts on those people that live in the Tampa Bay area. Thanks!

I know there are a plethora of forums on one moving either to Orlando or Tampa. I'm contemplating a move from Charlotte, NC to Orlando or Tampa. I am male, 31, and work in IT (mostly technical support work).

How is the job market for IT professionals in both cities? I will be taking an online course in Health IT for the next 6 months as I want to get into this new exciting field. I've heard that Orlando has alot of hospitals and after taking this course that is where I aim to find a job or in a similar healthcare facility.

In terms of cost of living, can I get a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe area in both cities? To give you a idea, I pay $760 for a 1 bedroom in South Charlotte and in a very safe neighborhood close to shopping areas and grocery stores. I don't know any of the safe and nice areas in Tampa but I've heard that Winter Park, Hunters Creek, Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Lake Mary, and Winter Garden are all nice and safe areas in Orlando to live.

Aside from the theme parks in Orlando and Tampa as well as the beaches near Tampa, are there other activities to do? I don't drink so I'm not into bars but I love to dance and go to dance clubs. I enjoy sports and being able to go to shows/museums.

I've been to Orlando several times (was in there June for a wedding at Championsgate) and know the typography well. I love the palm trees and it seems to be very clean like Charlotte. I've only been to Tampa once but from what I saw I liked it. However downtown Tampa did seem dead but I did get a chance to check out Soho which was cool. How is downtown Orlando? Does it tend to get dead after 5PM? I love the fact that you are so close to the beaches when living in the Tampa Bay Area. The only thing I worry about is that I've heard that Tampa is more reluctant to get hit by a hurricane compared to Orlando because Orlando is inland.

I do have friends that live in Orlando but from what they tell me is that Orlando is more for families and couples whereas for singles the Tampa Bay area is the place to be. I'm not a hardcore partier so I don't want to be in a place thats too crazy. Coming from Charlotte, it too is more of a place for families however there has been a huge influx of young professionals these past few years. The only reason I was thinking of leaning towards Orlando is that I've been there a few times (just for weekend trips and family weddings and of course the theme parks) and that I know at least a few people there. I find it much harder to move to a place where you don't know anyone.

Also I was considering St. Petersburg as some people say St. Petersburg is better and nicer than Tampa. I love the water but then again when I get into my routine I wonder how many times would I go to the beach. But its always a nice option to have. Any help on each of the three cities would be most appreciated!

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 AM

463 posts, read 1,053,108 times
Well lets see:

IT market is not too bad. Check out indeed.com for both orlando and tampa areas and you can make your own judgement call where is better. This should be your #1 priority when picking the city. For single person in their 30s and willing to live in an area with similar age people you have essentially two choices: Soho/Hyde park area (between Kennedy and Gandi and east of Dale Marby) or St. Pete downtown. I have place in South Tampa, on bayshore for 700 a month for 1 bd, so you can find something similar if you look for it.
Tampa is great if you like outdoor activities, kayaking, running, biking (on the trails), volleyball, water skiing/wakeboarding, kite boarding, para sailing or just tossing football on the beach. However if you live in Tampa (South tampa included) the beaches are 30-45 minutes away from your place. We do have one of the best beaches in the country in Siesta Keys and Clearwater, depending on what you like.

Speaking about hurricanes, we haven't had one in a while, and quite a bit of Tampa sits in flood prone zone (Pinellas and South Tampa are very vulnerable for flooding from cat3-5 strom), so if big one heads straight our way, i'm packing my stuff and hitting the road for a few days/weeks.

For people to meet, i would recommend sport clubs in the area, it's a great way to make friends outside work and also will keep you active.

Bottom line is this: move where you get a job

Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM

100 posts, read 163,176 times
Hi Tewas,

Thanks for your input. I totally agree about the job thing. I'm looking on websites like indeed.com and I do see openings for Orlando. I haven't had a chance to check Tampa.

Do you recommend any safe areas to live in Tampa or St. Pete? I've heard that St. Pete is nicer and better to live than Tampa.

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:35 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I would focus on the job first and then worry about where to live. You don't want to work in N. Tampa and live in S. St. Pete. It does appear that IT jobs are picking up I have several friends who have been laid off since Dec 10 and they have just found jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay