Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 09:21 PM

185 posts, read 170,665 times

Advertisements

Is there any wildlife along any of the nature trails in the area?

I was visisting in November and walked the Arrowhead trail at Fort DeSoto and the full nature trail on Caladesi Island.

Very nice trails, I found Caledesi and little nicer and better marked, but no wildlife at all at either. No birds, not even a squirrel. Both trails were basically deserted so the humans didn't scare them away.

Was it just the wrong time of the year, or am I on the wrong trails to see animal life.

I will be visiting again again in January so hoping for some suggestions on any trails in Pinellas or Pasco and maybe even further north, or do I need to wait until spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 03:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
I ran six mile trail at Little Manatee and prayed no snake, raccoon, armadillos, or anything else would pop out. I think there were alligators on the creeks. Kind of a boring trail - felt like running in a jungle at times.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...-Manatee-River

Old 12-14-2015, 07:15 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
I mean, myself personally, if I were looking to see wildlife, the first place that comes to mind is Lettuce Lake Park. The water has gators, the trails are sure to have something exciting.

If that's not exciting enough, drive through Westchase late enough as night and you'll run into a ton of deer.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:53 AM

37 posts, read 38,363 times
We saw an armadillo, a tortoise, some bald eagles (and lots of mosquitoes) on the nature trail at Honeymoon Island recently. Was really awesome. Bring bug spray.

ETA: We also went on one of those ranger-guided night hikes at Boyd Hill a couple of weeks ago. The ranger pointed out some wildlife we definitely would have missed, had we been on our own.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:43 AM

621 posts, read 1,615,436 times
Check out Weedon Island park, they have some pretty nice trails also.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
I'm surprised that you didn't at least see ospreys out on Caladesi, or pelicans out on the water (as well as gulls). But the pelicans tend to be mating I think at that time of year, and are off in their rookeries, and the ospreys don't start coming back to nest until late December usually, and they the town of Dunedin is lousy with them.

The Honeymoon Island nature trails have lots of ospreys, dozens of nests, there's an eagle nest and an owl nest. I've seen tortoises there too, and lots of birds. John Chestnut Sr. Park up on Lake Tarpon has 'gators, lots of water birds and at certain times of the year migratory songbirds passing through.

I'm constantly in awe of the wildlife here, so I suspect it was just bad luck. Driving around town this morning I saw wood storks, ibises and egrets, this latter species being also ubiquitous--if you see a statue of an egret in someone's garden, it's likely not a statue, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: