Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:32 PM

136 posts, read 305,141 times

Advertisements

It depends on exactly how they set this up. If it's from channel side to some obscure location in st pete it won't make sense. It sounded to me like this will let off near the st pete yacht club downtown? That doesn't seem so bad. Channel side is not an ideal location in terms of things to do but it's not terrible. Actually pretty central to most of tampa population centers.

If they do this correctly, it can serve a purpose. It may. It be a commuter ferry (but it may be for some) but I think it can serve a purpose for events and even more routine trips. It's a relatively low cost alternative to move people. Also, it's a pilot program. I'm not crazy about government spending and stupid decisions myself, but this is exactly how things should be done. This is a relatively inexpensive beta test and if it works it can grow accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 PM

769 posts, read 830,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinivedivichi View Post
It depends on exactly how they set this up. If it's from channel side to some obscure location in st pete it won't make sense.
There's only so many places a ferry can dock. Realistically near the pier or yacht club or albert whitted is about it

Quote:
It sounded to me like this will let off near the st pete yacht club downtown? That doesn't seem so bad.
Which is not close to much of anything... definitely not most of the trendy places up central ave past the interstate, you are talking a few miles. If you are talking about the cluster of bars and crap around 2nd street- 6th street then its not horrible

Quote:
Channel side is not an ideal location in terms of things to do but it's not terrible. Actually pretty central to most of tampa population centers.
Channelside is NOT, repeat NOT close to ANY Tampa population center of significance. It's close to Harbor Island, Davis Island and what residential exists downtown. That is a fraction of the metro Tampa population. Do you even live here?

Quote:
If they do this correctly, it can serve a purpose. It may. It be a commuter ferry (but it may be for some) but I think it can serve a purpose for events and even more routine trips. It's a relatively low cost alternative to move people. Also, it's a pilot program. I'm not crazy about government spending and stupid decisions myself, but this is exactly how things should be done. This is a relatively inexpensive beta test and if it works it can grow accordingly.
I dont see how it can work under any circumstance.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
The St Pete terminal may end up being south of the airport in the old Coast Guard base area leaving a fair walk to downtown St Pete.
Personally i might take this ferry once on a round trip just for the experience but regular commuting would be quicker,less hassle and cheaper to take the car.
The whole concept sounds like a waste of money IMO.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:38 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Be even better if these boats could top 35knts.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The St Pete terminal may end up being south of the airport in the old Coast Guard base area leaving a fair walk to downtown St Pete.
Personally i might take this ferry once on a round trip just for the experience but regular commuting would be quicker,less hassle and cheaper to take the car.
The whole concept sounds like a waste of money IMO.

Yep, complete waste of money.

Chances are one of the developers or operators is somehow related to one of these bozo commissioners...

Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Be even better if these boats could top 35knts.

And not at all likely. But let's think about if that were even possible. It would take twice as long as driving up 275 at 70-75mph...

Old 01-10-2016, 10:24 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
And not at all likely. But let's think about if that were even possible. It would take twice as long as driving up 275 at 70-75mph...
Assuming no traffic and the same distance in miles.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Unless there is a wreck. The boat is gonna be around 98ft and do 29 knts. That will take around 3000 hp. It is very easy to do 35 knts, but will come a cost of very pricey engines putting out around 2000hp each if they are going with twin engines.

Back in the good days when the Double eagle 3 ran offshore day trips 60 to 100 miles offshore with four 12V71's putting out around 550 HP each the boat would avg 19 to 20 knts and it was a 83ft CAT.
With todays new engines and tech they could use Variable pitch props to help gain some speed with less HP.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Whats the possibility these boats will be equipped with jet drives like a larger version of jet ski technology.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Whats the possibility these boats will be equipped with jet drives like a larger version of jet ski technology.
Not sure what they will use. But 29knts out of a 98ft boat is not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay