Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:02 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I rarely come across a packaging that's not recyclable. I see using paper towels very wasteful.
Perhaps I heard incorrectly, but I was told that paper towels were the most sanitary way to clean bathroom and kitchen counters. From what I understand, using a dish rag, even one that's been rinsed and wrung out, spreads germs and doesn't sanitize properly. This is why we use paper towels to clean in our home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 10:10 AM

769 posts, read 829,623 times
Quote:
I rarely come across a packaging that's not recyclable

Unless it specifically says it's recyclable, you arent supposed to recycle it. You do realize that, right?

Old 01-13-2016, 08:53 AM

107 posts, read 89,408 times
I have to laugh at people sorting their garbage. Recycling is a total joke and fraud.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Unless it specifically says it's recyclable, you arent supposed to recycle it. You do realize that, right?
I'm sure the recycling industry can figure it out. This is from their site. I believe you're wrong - many of these items don't have specific labeling that hit can be recycled.

Single-stream recycling means you can mix all items in the BLUE, all-in-one recycling roll cart without sorting first. Plus, now you can recycle more things.
HERE’S WHAT TO PUT IN THE BLUE RECYCLING CART
• Glass bottles and jars
• Aluminum cans and foil
• Steel and tin cans
• Aseptic containers, gable top cartons (milk jugs, juice boxes)
• Paperboard (cereal boxes, food and beverage boxes)
• Mail, magazines, newspapers, advertisements
• Writing papers, pads, notes
• Corrugated cardboard boxes
• Paper bags
• Any other paper that is clean, unsoiled and tears
• All plastics labeled No. 1 through 7 (including foamed Polystyrene/Styrofoam)
• Plastic grocery and shopping bags
• Plastic packaging
• Plastic film (cereal box liners, clean plastic storage bags)

Hillsborough County, FL - Official Website

Old 01-14-2016, 05:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksphins View Post
I have to laugh at people sorting their garbage. Recycling is a total joke and fraud.
weak attempt to be antagonistic

Old 01-14-2016, 06:03 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Perhaps I heard incorrectly, but I was told that paper towels were the most sanitary way to clean bathroom and kitchen counters. From what I understand, using a dish rag, even one that's been rinsed and wrung out, spreads germs and doesn't sanitize properly. This is why we use paper towels to clean in our home.
We spray with vinegar before wiping something out. I don't use chemical sprays anymore unless something is "really stuck" to the stove, because they stink badly, and spread dangerous fumes too. Those "natural/organic" ones don't clean anything, so in our case Vinegar works best.

It may sound "sanitary" because you throw them away, but we clean and bleach those towels really well, so there aren't battalions of germs floating around. I have paper towels in the house, but they usually do double duty as napkins. I find it really wasteful to continually use them for everything.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:20 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
All you need to do is dip the dish rag in a bleach/water solution kept by the sink in a small container.

Dont you use a cleaner on surfaces that require a cleaning wipe down when using papoer towels?

Do you use s aponge? The same water/bleach so9lution for the dish rag keeps the sponge frim becoming a Pertri dish as well.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
We spray with vinegar before wiping something out. I don't use chemical sprays anymore unless something is "really stuck" to the stove, because they stink badly, and spread dangerous fumes too. Those "natural/organic" ones don't clean anything, so in our case Vinegar works best.

It may sound "sanitary" because you throw them away, but we clean and bleach those towels really well, so there aren't battalions of germs floating around. I have paper towels in the house, but they usually do double duty as napkins. I find it really wasteful to continually use them for everything.
Most people under estimate the power of vinegar.

Let's face it, the "new kids on the block" are accustomed to using "products" because they dont know how it was done back i n the day befoire all these "convenience" products hit the shelves. I doiubt that many use Pine as a disenfectant opting for a more expensive and chemically loaded product.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 AM

The little flimsy platic bags from the supermarket are not recycable. The stores have a bin where they can be returned and they dispose of them. What can be recycled vs. what a trash collector wants i n their stream are two different things. In Hernandio County Waste Management does not recycle glass which nis one of the most recycable materials. Trash collection companies sift through the incoming stream and pick out what their buyes dont want.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
You heard correctly. Some people are just environmental nazi's though
Its more of a financial thing over a environmental thing. Add up the cost of those one use and toss paper towels over the course of a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay