Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 07:40 AM

472 posts, read 547,600 times

Advertisements

There's some beautiful beach in CA with waterfront activities, but it's too cold to really swim in. There are some really nice beaches with boardwalk/cement walk on the east coast but the beach isn't the best -- or that it's really only active and usable for a few months of the year. Then there are some beautiful beaches in Hawaii and Florida as well but is missing the waterfront hustling and bustling activities.

I think that Clearwater has it all with the pier/waterfront restaurants/bars you can relax and have a drink or eat, take a short cruise, watch the throngs of people, swim and play in the beautiful white sands, and bonus to watch the most awesome sunset almost year round. My only complain is the crazy parking but for what you get, I'd just park at the Hyatt garage for $2/hr that will drop you right in the middle of the action. Otherwise I'd just park at the Clearwater Library and ride my bike across the causeway bridge past traffic jam and all the visitors stuck in their cars.

Admittedly I'm now a local so don't go there as much but whenever we have family that come visit, that's the only beach they want to go after having taken them to all the others up and down Pinellas (Honeymoon, Sand Key, St Pete, Ft Desoto etc and even Siesta Key). It's been changing a lot in the short few years we've moved here - buildings are popping up like mushrooms that's only going to make it more crazy crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 01:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
There's some beautiful beach in CA with waterfront activities, but it's too cold to really swim in. There are some really nice beaches with boardwalk/cement walk on the east coast but the beach isn't the best -- or that it's really only active and usable for a few months of the year. Then there are some beautiful beaches in Hawaii and Florida as well but is missing the waterfront hustling and bustling activities.

I think that Clearwater has it all with the pier/waterfront restaurants/bars you can relax and have a drink or eat, take a short cruise, watch the throngs of people, swim and play in the beautiful white sands, and bonus to watch the most awesome sunset almost year round. My only complain is the crazy parking but for what you get, I'd just park at the Hyatt garage for $2/hr that will drop you right in the middle of the action. Otherwise I'd just park at the Clearwater Library and ride my bike across the causeway bridge past traffic jam and all the visitors stuck in their cars.

Admittedly I'm now a local so don't go there as much but whenever we have family that come visit, that's the only beach they want to go after having taken them to all the others up and down Pinellas (Honeymoon, Sand Key, St Pete, Ft Desoto etc and even Siesta Key). It's been changing a lot in the short few years we've moved here - buildings are popping up like mushrooms that's only going to make it more crazy crowded.
Born and raised in SoCal and the beaches are great, but the water is cold and in general the Clearwater are is superior overall to all but a few beaches in CA and has better water temps which make a huge difference.

I will say that CA has made access to the beaches much better than FL ,which seems to cater to the Condo's, Hotels and rich buyers who want no access near them and is making it hard for the ordinary person to park anywhere near a beach. In CA that is just about impossible.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 PM

48 posts, read 71,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Born and raised in SoCal and the beaches are great, but the water is cold and in general the Clearwater are is superior overall to all but a few beaches in CA and has better water temps which make a huge difference.

I will say that CA has made access to the beaches much better than FL ,which seems to cater to the Condo's, Hotels and rich buyers who want no access near them and is making it hard for the ordinary person to park anywhere near a beach. In CA that is just about impossible.
I cant imagine those people out in the Portland OR area who rave about the Oregon Coast living 2 hrs from it AND not being able to swim in it as its even colder than an L.A beach by a good deal. Is that how desperate some people are to sell off their area to make it look desirable? I guess so. They say how going to the coast is so great and to the mountains, but YOU CANT SWIM IN THE COAST AT ALL LOL.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:44 PM

48 posts, read 71,199 times
I figured it out actually though about Clearwater beach area. Park in CVS or Walgreens... many spaces actually that have no ticket warnings by them or 30 minute parking. Theres just a general customer parking only sign but they don't care there, really. That's the only place I can think of though, the rest is very hard.

Its just like when I got a tip to avoid the $5 dollar parking in Ybor, I went to Columbia restaurant parking spaces.. other than that, theres New World Brewery if you get there at a decent time and wont get ticketed. They don't really enforce it in there.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 PM

21 posts, read 21,812 times
Clearwater Beach is great but so crowded this time of year between the seasonal vacationers and the spring break kids. Fortunately we have other beaches that are great. I personally love Fort Desoto for its nature trails, picnic pavilions and the incredible dog park and dog beach. There is a toll for admission but worth every penny.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 AM

472 posts, read 547,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternadude View Post
I figured it out actually though about Clearwater beach area. Park in CVS or Walgreens... many spaces actually that have no ticket warnings by them or 30 minute parking. Theres just a general customer parking only sign but they don't care there, really. That's the only place I can think of though, the rest is very hard.

Its just like when I got a tip to avoid the $5 dollar parking in Ybor, I went to Columbia restaurant parking spaces.. other than that, theres New World Brewery if you get there at a decent time and wont get ticketed. They don't really enforce it in there.
With my luck...the one time I do that my car will get ticketed or towed. Happens every time.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
With my luck...the one time I do that my car will get ticketed or towed. Happens every time.
Most businesses contract with a towing company which continuously checks on cars parked in that businesses parking lot. If they see the same car sitting there too long it automatically gets towed.

There is a Florida statute on this which reads in part....

a. The notice must be prominently placed at each driveway access or curb cut allowing vehicular access to the property, within 5 feet from the public right-of-way line. If there are no curbs or access barriers, the signs must be posted not less than one sign for each 25 feet of lot frontage.
b. The notice must clearly indicate, in not less than 2-inch high, light-reflective letters on a contrasting background, that unauthorized vehicles will be towed away at the owner’s expense. The words “tow-away zone” must be included on the sign in not less than 4-inch high letters.
c. The notice must also provide the name and current telephone number of the person or firm towing or removing the vehicles or vessels.
d. The sign structure containing the required notices must be permanently installed with the words “tow-away zone” not less than 3 feet and not more than 6 feet above ground level and must be continuously maintained on the property for not less than 24 hours prior to the towing or removal of any vehicles or vessels.
e. The local government may require permitting and inspection of these signs prior to any towing or removal of vehicles or vessels being authorized.
f. A business with 20 or fewer parking spaces satisfies the notice requirements of this subparagraph by prominently displaying a sign stating “Reserved Parking for Customers Only Unauthorized Vehicles or Vessels Will be Towed Away At the Owner’s Expense” in not less than 4-inch high, light-reflective letters on a contrasting background.
g. A property owner towing or removing vessels from real property must post notice, consistent with the requirements in sub-subparagraphs a.-f., which apply to vehicles, that unauthorized vehicles or vessels will be towed away at the owner’s expense.

Each parking spot does not need to have an individual warning sign. So parking at CVS or any other businesses parking lot and leaving your vehicle will most likely result in you taking a taxi to the towing company's lot and paying the fees.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:24 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
We manage a high end Condo on Clearwater Beach and no problem getting it rented for $ 7000 per month during the season and tenants enjoy the area so much they come back every year. Can't blame them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay