Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 12:04 AM

8 posts, read 13,243 times

Advertisements

Hi there I know there a tons of threads out there similar to this one but I just can't find the information I'm looking for

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on moving to the Tampa area. I currently live in Southern California but have a great job opportunity in Ruskin requiring me to move within the next few weeks.

I am a 22 year old single female looking to move somewhere that has a similar demographic to mine. I will be working a full time job during the week and do yoga in the evening and on weekends I enjoy a fun nightlife and getting outdoors (restaurants, bars, etc.) I do not mind living with a roommate and my budget is set around $1,500.

Can someone please give me some insight on where to live if I work in Ruskin? The research that I have done points to moving to areas like Channelside but, what would the commute be like from there? Coming from California it might be what I am used to. About how long would the commute be?

I have also done research on Ruskin itself but, the crowd seems a little older. Is it a nice place to live? What should I expect? What are some other areas I should look into?

Also, what are popular cars there? I am debating if I should ship my car or sell it out here and buy a new one.

Thank you in advance for all your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:00 AM

201 posts, read 237,825 times
I live not too far from Ruskin and drive through it frequently. I love it's "old Florida" feel and character. Channelside would be about a 40 to 45 min commute. There are some family communities in the Apollo Beach area which is north of Ruskin e.g. Mira Bay, Harbor Isles, Waterset and Covington.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:04 AM

33 posts, read 61,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
City-Data Forum Message
Sorry - no matches or filtered words used in the search query. Please try some different terms.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1680 View Post
City-Data Forum Message
Sorry - no matches or filtered words used in the search query. Please try some different terms.
Essentially, all 5 of her posts are looking to relocate to different areas.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 13,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Essentially, all 5 of her posts are looking to relocate to different areas.

Yes exactly! They confirmed me in Virgina and ended up not needing to fill the position. Now I am being placed in Flordia and need insight. Thank you

Old 03-16-2016, 06:55 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,020,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonatk View Post
Hi there I know there a tons of threads out there similar to this one but I just can't find the information I'm looking for

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on moving to the Tampa area. I currently live in Southern California but have a great job opportunity in Ruskin requiring me to move within the next few weeks.

I am a 22 year old single female looking to move somewhere that has a similar demographic to mine.
Well first of all, I live in North Tampa.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Ruskin is the pits. Maybe Apollo Beach would be suitable. I'd recommend living closer to South Tampa, West Brandon and commuting south. That would be against most regular rush hour traffic. Probably only 20-25 mins max from West Brandon locations (Falkenburg, Causeway areas). Wouldn't live in Ruskin. I'd find a place in Apollo Beach to avoid the commute, but Apollo Beach is also boring with not much to offer, imo. (Not really a beach, per se).

Old 03-18-2016, 08:41 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonatk View Post

I am a 22 year old single female looking to move somewhere that has a similar demographic to mine. I will be working a full time job during the week and do yoga in the evening and on weekends I enjoy a fun nightlife and getting outdoors (restaurants, bars, etc.) I do not mind living with a roommate and my budget is set around $1,500.

Can someone please give me some insight on where to live if I work in Ruskin? The research that I have done points to moving to areas like Channelside but, what would the commute be like from there? Coming from California it might be what I am used to. About how long would the commute be?

I have also done research on Ruskin itself but, the crowd seems a little older. Is it a nice place to live? What should I expect? What are some other areas I should look into?

Also, what are popular cars there? I am debating if I should ship my car or sell it out here and buy a new one.

Thank you in advance for all your help!!!
I wouldn't try Ruskin. Downtown Tampa/ channelside is the way to go , I would say depending where in ruskin it's less than 30 min with a reverse commute, a couple of days in the summer you are going to take 1 hour plus because of the flooding. Another opt-in would be downtown st Pete and take the skyway down and around that should be no more than 40 min but you would be closer to the beaches on weekends.
Personally I would try channelside first.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
For such a major move i'd say it would be in your best interest to hop on a plane then rent a car and go visit the area for yourself as whats said on the forum about the area are just varying opinions,my opinions of the whole area is its no place i'd want to live just too boring. i'd opt instead for the St Pete area but then you have a substantial commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay