Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:46 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankfest View Post
I was checking Google maps today and looking up and down Hwy 19. Luckily there is a sidewalk along the hwy, so I don't have to worry about getting hit by cars.
I wouldn't count on that.

U.S. 19 is probably one of the most dangerous roads in the area. In the winter when the snowbirds are around, it's probably the worst.

I can't begin to describe what an awful road it is. I used to drive it daily from west Pasco to Town & Country and back, and I hated every minute of it. I can't imagine riding a bike or walking near it.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:42 PM

18 posts, read 13,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I wouldn't count on that.

U.S. 19 is probably one of the most dangerous roads in the area. In the winter when the snowbirds are around, it's probably the worst.

I can't begin to describe what an awful road it is. I used to drive it daily from west Pasco to Town & Country and back, and I hated every minute of it. I can't imagine riding a bike or walking near it.

RM

Ughh... Tired of the negativity... If you take the worst person in the US. Still 60% better off than the rest of the world. Keep shedding those tears though. I need to feed to be a beast. lol

For the Snow Birds... They will learn when I bust a 3 on top off their stuffs... -_-

P.S. I Googled 3D maps HWY 19 sidewalks... Pretty straight forward... Pun Intended!

P.S.S. Learn to Drive... -_-

Last edited by Gankfest; 04-08-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 PM

182 posts, read 170,847 times
Quote:
Going to be moving from Fort Collins CO. to Holiday FL in June, and have looked a lot of things up. Had a few questions on the things I could figure.

1. I ride a BMX bike, and will be commuting mostly on my bike and mass transit. Wondering what's it like riding with traffic, and if there's bike lanes?
The sidewalks on US-19 are probably do-able. Traffic is awful, but it's not as though they're going to jump the curbs. Bear in mind that there are a ton of traffic lights, and they're not synchronized very well, so expect to spend a lot of time waiting for the "Don't Walk" sign to change.

Quote:
2. Is there buses that go from Holiday to St. Petersburg, and Holiday to Tampa? I checked, and Tampa is only 35mi away, so I could easily ride there if I have too.
Heh. Well, buses aren't really a realistic option in Holiday. And you're serious about commuting 35 miles on a BMX bike? Really?

Quote:
3. Sinkholes... How bad are they...? I kinda have this fear of walking somewhere someday or sleeping in my bed falling into a sinkhole. :/
Sinkholes are an over-sensationalized issue. They are extremely rare down here, despite what media reports might lead you to believe.

Quote:
I grew up in Atlanta, and have been to Northern Florida a few times back in the day. I can deal with the bugs, alligators, and Hurricanes. I just don't do sinkholes and Earthquakes.

Anyway, Tampa looks like a great place, and can't wait to hit a beach and grab a cubano.
TAMPA is indeed a great place, and the beaches and cubans (sandwiches, cigars, and chicks; not sure which one you were referring to) are great as well. But you said you were moving to HOLIDAY, bro, which is borderline third world. Sorry man, you'll have to see it for yourself. Not trying to be negative. Do what you need to do, then GTH out and find another spot in the area, as soon as you can. Just saying.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:05 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
But you said you were moving to HOLIDAY, bro, which is borderline third world. Sorry man, you'll have to see it for yourself. Not trying to be negative. Do what you need to do, then GTH out and find another spot in the area, as soon as you can. Just saying.
No negativity, just reality. I have a relative who has lived in Holiday since the early 1990s, so my opinion is based on direct experience over a very, very long time. It is a rathole.

I would agree. If you have to go there, do it and get out as quickly as possible.

RM

Old 04-09-2016, 11:51 AM

18 posts, read 13,986 times
Quote:
Heh. Well, buses aren't really a realistic option in Holiday. And you're serious about commuting 35 miles on a BMX bike? Really?
No, I'm just saying I could ride to Tampa and back. I already got a job in New port Richey which is 8mi from where I'll be living which is doable.

Quote:
TAMPA is indeed a great place, and the beaches and cubans (sandwiches, cigars, and chicks; not sure which one you were referring to) are great as well.
Ummm... All 3 sound pretty delicious.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 5,099 times
Hi - I am going to be moving to Tampa area from Denver in August. While I am not at all familiar with Holiday, I would strongly suggest getting a cheap car (with working A/C) when you move down here. Car registration and insurance is significantly cheaper in FL than it is in CO, and it will be a huge adjustment riding your bike in the heat and humidity. On top of that, Florida is not at all bike friendly and I have seen snowbirds drive on the sidewalks from time to time, so I would be very cautious if a bike is your primary mode of transportation. It looks like you already have housing and a job lined up, so best of luck on your move!

Old 05-21-2016, 02:54 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,020,115 times
Car insurance costs more in Colorado?

Quote:
Seriously...? No one knows about the bus routes or bikes lanes. Is there no poor people in these forums?
Actually, City Data forums tend to be mostly rich people.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:38 AM

261 posts, read 260,940 times
us 19 might be one of the top 5 dangerous roads for pedestrians in America. Not a place for biking. Car insurance is high as heck here hillsborough is usually the highest due to the highest accidents rates than followed by pinellas and pasco follow with rate prices.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 PM

55 posts, read 68,183 times
Wow, so many negative old turds in the forum.

I grew up and lived my whole live in the area until I was 23 and it's a fun place to live. I'm not totally sure about bike lanes but there are plenty of cool bmx parks in the area. As another user said, save up and get a beater car to drive around. Florida has no emissions testing so it doesn't have to be nice. When the rainy season comes around you'll be thanking yourself. I would make it a point to visit St. Pete and Tampa / Ybor often. Google maps now does mass transit, so that should help you navigate the area. There's a route from Tarpon Springs (near holiday) to Ybor that takes around 2 hours.

I was never that worried about crime, but I also live in Baltimore so my opinion is pretty skewed.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 PM

31 posts, read 64,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Car insurance costs more in Colorado?

Actually, City Data forums tend to be mostly rich people.
I've started to notice this. Seems like nothing but old ass boomers around here with nice pensions and properties in multiple states. Must be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay